"Buzzing" noise from dashboard.

sebbelcher

Reaction score
Hi guys, its been a while since I've posted on here which means my A4 Cab is running well (hurray!!). Just one minor niggle at the moment...

So my A4 developed a few strange cabin noises over the past month or so, squeaks, rattles etc. I isolated the majority of the noise as coming from the sound of the leather sun visors rubbing against the plastic roof section, infuriating, but easily solved with a couple of felt pads meant for furniture feet.

Then there was a squeaking coming from the windows, this was fixed with a good clean of the seals around the window, specifically the strip up the rear mini-window.

Now I am left with an infuriating, constant "buzzing" that seems to come from the centre of the dash at window height, roughly where the demister vent is. When I say buzzing, its like the noise of something small rattling very quickly, so I was thinking something in the air vent maybe?

I'd appreciate any help locating this, though I realise the the parabolic shape of the windscreen could make almost any sound appear to come from the center of the dash!

Cheers all.
Seb.

Is that only whilst driving or always including idle or just with ignition on but not started.

Good question, I will test it out tomorrow, I only notice it while driving, but that doesn't mean its not there all the time.

Maybe there's a bumble bee stuck in your dash comparetment :faint::wacko:

Resolution: Let the bumble bee be free!! Free i tells ya!!! :yahoo:

I get a buzzing sound from the clear plastic "window" in the instrument cluster. Pressing my finger on a point directly in line with the speedo centre cures it, dunno how to cure it permanently tho.

It could very well be loose, so you either need to tighten the cluster screws that hold it in the dash or you need to remove the cluster & then tighten the screws in the back of the cluster, note removing clsuter would give you some dash lights possibly at 1st when turning car on next, vagcom is always handy for these times, check my sig for links to people who have in your area or PM me if interested in buying the genuine kit.

Also is it possible the cluster is maybe vibrating against the bottom of the trim just in front of the rear of steering wheel, try holding that aswell, if its this then some well placed felt strip would help, it sounds like a simple fix mate at the moment, have a look & report back.