S4 power

• Thread starter imported_CHRISLEE59
  • Start date
I

imported_CHRISLEE59

I've had my S4 now for 4 weeks, and although engine sounds fantastic, is feels very tight still. Has any one experience of how much the engine loosens up with time and miles. At the moment, performance is good, but it feels like there should be more there.

[ QUOTE ]
ravins4 said:
I've had my S4 now for 4 weeks, and although engine sounds fantastic, is feels very tight still. Has any one experience of how much the engine loosens up with time and miles. At the moment, performance is good, but it feels like there should be more there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two questions - how many miles on the clock, and how exactly did you run it in?

With mine, I have noticed it has freed up slightly. I didn't notice mine being "very" tight when new, just "less willing" to rev freely.

Big engine Audi's free up materially with miles. You should notice a difference in the S4 at 5-7k miles. Mine has done 16k and is giving enough go for me.

Mine's now done 18k and is still improving. I first noticed a difference after about 2k.

I'm just over 300 mls, and i can now get the stability/traction control light to come on under power now on wet roads, very tight at start but getting there, but still more to be had.

I've done about 22K now, and it still seems to be improving....

2BL I don't think the ESP bears any relation to engine performance as such.

At the start, the car was 'not' quite as lively as it is now, there is more power now - hence the light coming on.

I should add my fingers don't work that well and the car has done 3000 mls not 300.Doh!

I have a 3.0 V6 Quattro rather than an S4 but my experience might nonetheless be relevant. I bought it at 6k as an ex demo. In my first ever post on this forum I remarked that the engine felt torquey but ragged at above 5k rpm. Somehow it didn't feel as though it wanted to be between 5k and 7k. Power was ok but a little disappointing at high revs. It's now done 13.5k miles and it feels like a different car. Power delivery and engine refinement are transformed. It now really wants to live above 5k and delivers quite an impressive punch. Well, not compared with an S4 obviously but seems pretty lively to me.