Roof bar removal and front grill advice

dannyFR+tdi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any dvice on'

1. How easy is it to remove the roof bars? and also would there be any holes underneath as a friend seems to think there will be a cover that slides over the hole for the roof bar arms.

2. I really want to paint my chrome surrounds on the upper and lower grill. What is the best method and paint/other to use to do this with?

Cheers in advance

Danny i'm thinking of also doing both grill's. I'm looking to take mine to a company that does plastic dip. But i think i may have to take the grill's apart to get the chrome part's dipped. Spraying them matt black can also be done but who know's how long the finnish will last, stone chip's road salt,ect

I 'quickly' sprayed my grill surrounds matt black a few months ago and so far they have remained undamaged. I only used a cheap paint too. Taking the grille out is easy, and the outer chrome trim can be levered off carefully quite easily. Touching them up once a year to keep them looking good would be easy IMO.

Then its just a simple sand down and spray. I would use a matt lacquer too for optimum protection.

Alternatively black trim tap is available.

Thanks for the replies, gunna wait till after winter now. Any advice on the roof rails??

Speak to Doug at MRC Tuning, in Banbury.
He's taken the rails off his B5 RS4. Looks very slick, but wrong IMHO...

If you want too remove them then you will need to remove the roof lining as they are bolted from underneath and there are holes (3 per side from memory) that will need filling.

I enquired about replacing mine as they are heavily tarnished but the effort was not worth it

If you are going for the black look have you thought about painting them black (matt)?

Any good bodyshop would be able to mask them in situ and paint them - obviously more expensive and not a good a finish if painted off car but still do-able...