Help wanted

jolly14

Reaction score
Hi to you all

I have recently bought a a4 1.8 t avant 03 and need a little help :sos:with diong a few tasteful mods, i would like to get a stainless exhaust (back boxes only) if available, and a good hid kit, i have set my mind on rs6 wheels and am also thinking of some sort of power upgrade as i only have 163 bhp p.s my dad liked it so much he bought a 2.0 fsi is it true that they should only run on super unleaded petrol.

thankyou and a fantastic forum:respekt:

:sign_welcome:
First things first, maybe some of my suggestions could get you in trouble with the Mrs so Shhhhhh dont say a word!
First off, Remap has to be done mate, Your loving it now, you'll make love to it once you get the remap sorted. Throw up some pics too.

Hid kit with slim ballasts out there for around £55.
Exhaust - you have many options. Back boxes only you can Go with custom build ie powerflow - not quite sure how much they would set you back but having 2 boxes Id pinch a Guess at around the £110 a piece maybe little less/little more, depending on how you approach these guys as ive known folk to get exact same exhaust but £30 cheaper with a bit of Banter!
I always run my Blue arrow on Vpower (shell) 99octane. Ive had to dip in a little unleaded before just to get me across town to the next OPEN:)banghead:) Shell garage to fill up on Vpower and I always notice a difference with just Unleaded as apposed to the Vpower.

Get the Pics up mate and we'll throw some suggestions at you. Tasteful yes but sometimes mine can be too tasteful for some but each to their own, they're only suggestions!!!!!:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the quick reply im already looking at an amd remap, can you really notice the difference straight away with a remap and what sort of power gain can be expected. I'm open to suggestions with the remap company. Is the blue arrow an fsi its looking sweet.:cool:

pictures will be up when the wheels are on.:o.k:

The minute you put your foot down you'll be grinning from ear to ear mate. I always say, its not Just about the BHP figure, its the Torque you want to be concentrating on also - Gets it balanced out! Your looking at anything between 190bhp - 210ish (210 is pushing it from just a Remap though)

As for where you get it, well I reckon the way its going, you'll be able to get a remap by your local doctor and his lappy at this rate, They are everywhere BUT only a handful id trust. What area are you in??

The Blue arrow is same engine as yours - 1.8T 163 Sport Quattro. I like to splash a little cash on my cars (as most will tell you) some say I must be mad but I work ****** hard and Work is Work and Pleaure is my Car! - the mrs comes somewhere in between.....(friday & Sunday;))

I dont think ill give you a full breakdown on my mods yet! You need to settle in with the forum first,lol!

I'm in Kent near canterbury, i think amd are near lakeside(essex) so about an hour away. What bhp has your car got as i take it its been remapped by the way you discribe the feeling you get:thumbsup:

Last edited:
What bhp has your car got as i take it its been remapped by the way you discribe the feeling you get:thumbsup:

With the baked bean can hanging out the back, I expect he is pushing 165 or so ;)

get the basic mods sorted first (exhaust and replacement filters / induciton) and then get the remap done....

Apols in advance to what has turned into another "watch out for AmD rant"...

I'm not sure about the new AmD sites sites, but the old AmD rolling road in Bicester was way out - massivley over-reads the torque, great for the ego, but dangerously misleading... they just seem to tweak the drivetrain drag / tyre settings and/or shift the whole torque curve to match what they think you want to see ....

After I'd spent about £1500 with them already (exhaust, front/rear brake kits, suspension brace and a few other bits) and then taken the car back for another £2k or so worth of mods (highlight cams, Koni/Eibach suspension and a few more) on my old Golf, they didn't bother doing the post rolling road session that they're promised (and was included in the price of the highlift cams!), but after they'd had the car for over a week, and I went to pick it up they said there had been a problem with the dyno, but "it should be fine": Pretty p!ssed off they didn;t tell me in advance that the work wasn;t finished yet... and I really wanted the dyno run as a health check, so I made the 4hr round-trip to get it done at another date nominated by them "when they were less busy", I left the car with them for 4hrs, after which they tried to palm me off with a generic dyno plot - nothing like the shape of how the torque curve felt or how the car was actually driving (they said it's be dead by 5800rpm and it was pulling firmly up to 6600rpm!), and they told me they were too busy for the rest of the day, so I'd have to bring it back another time, depsite knowing that I had a 4 hour round trip each time! I took it to two other rolling roads - the first one spotted that the fuel pressure regulator couldn't cope at the new higher revs and that the fueling was running lean and that I was only getting a fraction of the benefit from the highlift cams that I should have been... something AmD never spotted and I'd never have know about because they repeatedly reglected to do the dyno plot that they should have done.

The other rolling road figured weren't as flattering as AmD's (140bhp and 145bhp compared to the 148bhp that AmD said it was running at with a under-spec'd FPR).... and the later dyno's I got elsewhere actually matched how the car felt to drive...

AmD are well known, but I had such shoddy treatment from them, I doubt I'd bother if they were less than half their current prices... best value I've seen so far for a remap including before and after rolling road is £250 for the Chip'N'Spin rolling road (when part of a rolling road day) - that get's done on a "while you wait basis" and yes, it's about half the price of AmD's £380+VAT...

I'm in Kent near canterbury, i think amd are near lakeside(essex) so about an hour away. What bhp has your car got as i take it its been remapped by the way you discribe the feeling you get:thumbsup:

Mine is running around the 210-215 figure but plenty of Torque.
Suppose thats helped by the Turbo back Miltek.
Before I had the exhaust it was quick but once id put the miltek on it transformed the drive yet again. Im just having problems now with Boost leaks, need to upgrade my Pipes I reckon.

James - I couldnt get away with the Pea-shooters!!!:eyebrows:

If you want to free up the power the you should be looking at a full exhaust other wise dont bother just fit some bolt on tail pipes if it's just the look your looking for.

If you do do the exhaust then you might want to add a sports CAT (034 make a good one) to the mix which will also add around 15bhp if you get a good one.

You have two main options for tuning the 200-215bhp remap or the large injector file which should yeld around 235bhp using TT 225bp Injectors.

If you go option two then upgrading the SMIC would be a good idea and fit a FMIC which you can pick-up of ebay for not a lot of money.

Another thing you should upgrade is the DV as these tend to fail after a remap also upgrading the pipes to silicone pipe would also be a good idea and again can be picked up off ebay for half the price of Samco's (autobahn88).

Another option would be to swap out the N75 valve with a J valve which J7USS can tell you all about.

Thanks guys

I'm trying my very best to take it all in but what are smic fmic dv(diverter valve)?

Thinking no to amd now thanks for the heads up on that 1. How much for a miltek cat back exhaust i want a crisp sound but not to boomy, and do i have to have induction filters and new spark plugs before a remap.

cheers jay