Re-mapping A4 avant tdi 130 bhp???

codrock

Reaction score
if i had my a4 avant tdi 130bhp re-mapped what would it give me extra???
any ideas how much this will cost??

Chip'N'Spin rolling road days (see forum thread) are the the cheapest way to get a pre-map rolling road run, remap and post-map rolling road run to see the improvment. edit: £250

I think they tend to give 150-160bhp on the fast-road remap and 170-190bhp on the "race" option - the fast road should improve mpg if you're driving "quietly" and the race normally reduces it all-round...

Is yours a Quattro? Not much point in going much over about 160bhp on a FWD TDI - I know there are 190bhp 1.8T's, but the torque on the TDI's means you're likely just to spin-up in the wet and trash the clutch in the dry...

Had mine done by chip n spin a few weeks back had a race map and ended up with 184 bhp and 400 nm of torque absolutely transformed the car and even get 4 mpg more round town if i drve sensibly :) As said above if yours is front wheel drive don't go for the race map as all your car will do is light the tyres up.

I have the same car A4 Avant 1.9tdi 130bhp
I'am thinking along the lines of buying a chip box rather than having a remap done to it has anyone got any advice?

kash - if you can get to something like the Chip'N'Spin rolling road days, then it is WELL worth the while to get a proper rolling road power run, then do the remap and then a post-map run too....

You would be stunned at the number of guys that were being sent out with "yes, the remap would make it faster, but there's some other stuff to sort out first before outting any additional strain on the car"

edit: and no - they're jsut a chipping place - they weren't fishign for extra work at all...

there was even one Mk5 Golf GTI (about a year old) that returned virtually no extra power at all due to some faulty turbo sensors... a remap would have given him a tiny bit more torque itn eh mid-range, making it feel quicker, but aside from that it would have jsut over-fueled and probably ruined his catalytic converter...

for £250, it's the same kinda price to a budget box and you get the re-assurance of knowing the car is actually performing at/close to the expected levels.... at very least pop around to your local rolling road afterwards (preferably before and after) for a couple of dyno runs to check that it's having the desired impact without any unpleasant side effects.

RE the fwd TDI's in particular.... rememeber - they DON'T make the engine more revvy, you'll still be changing up at the same points, they just give you more torque through the mid-range and high-ish end of the rev-range...

net result more strain on the clutch, so be careful if you slip it out gradually to make smooth take-offs as you'll have a LOT more torque at the lower end to do damage with and also once that torque is down onto the wheels you're a lot more likely to spin up... especially in the wet!!

cheers for the info losbok,
first iam gonna have the cam belt done and any other things that may need doing while my mechanics under the bonet then I'll start looking into it a little deeper.

once again thanks

kash

I cant say to much but a map is 100% better than the plug in box. Just make sure the clutch is ok on the PD130's

Mike

I'll second Mike's comments.... if your clutch is borderline, then a remap will push it over the edge... the main part of the remap is that it takes the gradual increase in torque that is currently there and allows a lot more torwue to come in a lot earlier... net result: you can hold much higher gears at any given speed, but if you let the clutch out slowly (to aid smooth gear changes), then you'll be prone to exposing the clutch to a lot more wear.

That said: TDI130 clutches are usually pretty good: league ahead of the TDI100 and TDI110 clutches on other VAG models... I've seen a low-spec "TDI100" Golf MkV (low mileage) that was 105bhp on the first run get remapped straight to 150bhp.... the engine was fine at 150bhp, but the car was borderline undrivable... after a 5min "test run" around the local roads, it smelled like somebody had just BBQ'd the floor sweepings from the local barber-shop... the value of a rolling road day: they just bumped him out of the queue, waited an hour for it to cool off, picked a lower map (130bhp) and gave it another go later...