Flashing brake light in DIS after xenon install..help

technics100

Reaction score
I installed at 4300k HID kit yesterday that I got from eBay, all in and working but when I put the xenons on the Word "brake" flashes on the DIS and the ESP light stays on. I scanned the car last night with vag-com and it found errors in the abs module, convenience module etc. I will post the exact codes later when I'm at the computer. I ended up taking them back out and putting standard bulbs back in, the car was fine with no vag-com errors. Any ideas how to fix this or are the HIDS just not compatiable with the Audi?

I'm annoyed as it looked the ticket..

I believe this to be a switch on HT spike problem from the ballasts, which is being picked up by the "crash" sensor cables. The sensors are mounted on the front of the car. After re-instating my headlights after a front strip down, this was happening all the time when I switched my aftermarket Xenon's on.

I traced the crash sensor wire and rerouted it away from the headlights as best I could - this has reduced the error significantly at Xenon switch on from near 100% to ~5% of the time. In fact I can't replicate it at the moment!

Just to add this is my second set of Xenon's, had the "fat" ones, now have the "slimlines" fitted in the headlight unit.

It' can be annoying but to clear this fault. Switch off the ignition and remove the key - reinsert the key restart the car - should clear. Of course will remian in DTC as "miscommunication error".

Interesting, that I did inspect the crash sensor wires the other day and found them to be screened, so maybe this cable is susceptible to interference.

Need to do some more investigation. Any one have any experience of this too?

Technics - Did you get the same kit as Marc1's, There was a link posted up somewhere to the slimline kit , think it was around £55 delivered! I just wanted to make sure before I buy :eyebrows:

Woorlord, thanks for that. Do you know where the wiring for the crash sensors run? I have mounted the ballasts underneath the headlights, where did you mount yours? Is it worth remounting them away from the front of the car as much as I can? Here are some pics of mine.. they came with side lights too..

Before

IMG_0636.jpg

After

IMG_0635.jpg

Wiring

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Ballast

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

Sidelights

IMG_0642.jpg

Dipped Beams

IMG_0643.jpg

I will move the ballasts and see if that makes any difference, also sorry for pic quality.. it's an iphone!!

I moved the ballasts away from under the headlights closer to the rear of the engine bay and it seems to be fine, no errors.. Happy days..