speedo problems

I

imported_tacka

i have an 1998 1.8 audi 80 cabriolet, just recently when driving on the motorway my speedo dial has been bouncing up and down and sometimes just not working.

Late in the morning my speedo just went dead completely, any help appreciated!!

Don't know to much about them but it sounds like the speedo cable has snapped. May have been bouncing due to a kink in it and then stopped when it broke
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks for the help, do you think i need to replace both?, and what does a speed sender look like?

Sounds like it may be the connection on the gearbox side have seen this on 2 audi's.
Wire may have came out or not fully pluged in to the sender.
If you open the bonnet it is located on the passenger side of the gearbox.
It is a push in connector.
Make sure it is fully pushed in.
Or take it off clean contacts with WD40 or similar contact cleaner and replace this should sort it out.
If not look towards the instrument panel.
Possibility of dry jionts on the circuit board.
Hope this helps.
Zaf.

I've got exactly the same problem with my 1998 1.8 audi cab. Recently had the car serviced and raised the problem. They told me that (as indicated in this thread) the problem was either a switch on the gearbox (£15 for part £80 supplied and fitted). Failing that, it would need a new dash cluster - £100ish for part. Have you got yours fixed yet?

Also, does anyone know the best way of getting a replacement key? The audi garage are quoting me £150 + vat. I've also lost my locking wheel nut - they want £80 for a replacement?!

thanks for the help, do you know what the switch or dash cluster looks like?

is this what i ask for from the dealers?