Some problems...

bucks_a4

Reaction score
Hi guys
recently purchased my a4 1.8t and its great, but i have a number of problems that im hoping arent major, as i dont want to find ive wasted my money!

Ive just changed the snub mount which has made a difference to the engine shake and the sloppiness when driving, but ive noticed some other issues:

When steering, while getting closer to full lock, i get a groaning noise which gets louder the closer to full lock i get, ive checked the fluid, its not at max but not far off so didnt think this was the cause. Someone mentioned the altenator?

Next, on full right lock (possibly left too, havent checked), i get a knocking, clicking noise from the front right corner wheel area when driving slow. Also, it may be my imagination but while getting closer to full lock, the steering weight seems to change. I dont know what this is, but i hope its not the steering rack, as i understand this is a massive job?

When i start the engine cold, it idles at about 1200-1300 rpm, until i drive for a bit, could this be because of my faulty thermostat? im having that changed this week.

The car is 7 years old and it generally feels like a 7 year old car, the engine and gearshift still moves when driving but not as much as before, i cant quite describe how it feels to drive, at speed it seems great, but lower speed, it does feel a bit...wobbly? like everything isnt as 'tight' as it should be.

Can anyone shed some light on these issues? I want to get things sorted asap but i cant afford to spend loads on it, got to do the cambelt this week too!

Thanks

When started from cold it will idle a little high with the Auto-choke but settles down within minutes.
...you didnt give it a 'good' going over when you first looked at it! :asskicking:
Ask your mechanic to give it a good going over when he has it for the belt - that should hopefully give you a clearer picture of whats happening because if you dont really know what your looking for/at then loads of worries go through your mind, ive been there too. Might just be minor probs so dont go suicidle yet!!

before i bought it, i knew i would have to replace the stat, the cambelt/pumps etc and i wanted to get the oil pipe changed as i heard this is a common fault, and i factored all that into the price i paid.
while i was test driving it, i felt the engine movement and was pretty sure that was engine mount problems so was prepared for that. The only think im concerned about is the steering noises as they werent that prevalent on the drive that i took it for. i think the 'tightness' that im looking for is just not there as it is 7 years old and ive been driving new cars for the last 2-3 years. and the idling problem, well you said thats normal so im not worried about that.

So basically, most of the problems are things i was aware of, except the steering issues and thats what i need advice on.

before i bought it, i knew i would have to replace the stat, the cambelt/pumps etc and i wanted to get the oil pipe changed as i heard this is a common fault, and i factored all that into the price i paid.
while i was test driving it, i felt the engine movement and was pretty sure that was engine mount problems so was prepared for that. The only think im concerned about is the steering noises as they werent that prevalent on the drive that i took it for. i think the 'tightness' that im looking for is just not there as it is 7 years old and ive been driving new cars for the last 2-3 years. and the idling problem, well you said thats normal so im not worried about that.

So basically, most of the problems are things i was aware of, except the steering issues and thats what i need advice on.

Mine is 6 years old and I gotta say there is no looseness. I recently had a 4 wheel laser alignment done (its a quattro) an that made a noticable improvment to the drive. The noises your getting there sound like either the steering pump or cv joints?? The high idle at startup is normal. (helps heat the cat up)...I would get it checked over before you start throwing money at it as could indeed be something simple

Yeah get it Vag'd aswell if you know anyone close buy. Im sure there is someone on here that will help you out with that!

Is it clicking and knocking on a lock? Clicking is probably a cv joint, knocking probably a suspension / steering arm joint. Best bet as said above is get your mechanic to give it a good going over.