Sky InsuranceBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Problem with power steering clicking/making a noise when on lock belt slipping

WHEN I TURN MY STEERING WHEEL NEARLY TO FULL LOCK THE POWER STEERING BELT IS SLIPPING AND MAKEING A HELL OF A NOICE
    HAD ALL PULLEYS ETC RE-NEWED BUT STILL DOING IT"SLIPPING"
    HAS ANYONE ELSE ENCOUNTED THIS SORT OF PROBLEM,IS IT THE POWER STEERING PUMP OR SOMETHING ELSE????????????

PLEASE HELD IT REALLY DOING MY HEAD IN NOW

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    yes iam living with the same problem. there is a self tensioner with a spring in it they can become tired. if the bottom tray is off water can have an effect on them.

Audi fanatic

Status
    This strangely enough can also be caused by the alternater clutch not working any more,
    to check this you put a small screwdriver in the vent and turn the internal fan it should turn easy oneway and be solid the other ,
    if its solid bothways it needs replacing
    again i know this sounds strange but it is an issue and does give these symptoms on TDi s.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ditto what Paul suggests......

Neutral

Status
    yes it was the alternator clutch,thanks alot chaps really helped me out cheers!!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul20v View Post
    This strangely enough can also be caused by the alternater clutch not working any more,
    to check this you put a small screwdriver in the vent and turn the internal fan it should turn easy oneway and be solid the other ,
    if its solid bothways it needs replacing
    again i know this sounds strange but it is an issue and does give these symptoms on TDi s.
    i have a similar problem where i get loud groaning noises on steering when moving slow and applying throttle. I did the above test with the screwdriver and my fan was solid one way and moved freely the other way. Does this completely rule out the pulley clutch issue? What else could it be?