Audi A4 Navi Plus Safe Locked

Roey19

Reaction score
Hello or more like HELP!!!!

I've got a audi a4 on 2003 with a navigation plus system. i had to disconnect the battery and now the sat nav won't work. It says Safe Locked. I didn't even get chance to put my code in. The unit won't do anything. I've taken the unit out and disconnected it and put it all back and still won't work. does anyone have any idea's to help me out please its driving me mad.

Thanks

Michael
:blackrs4::sos:

It's strange that the head unit (HU) has not recognised it's in the car.
Normally disconneting and reconnecting the battery makes the HU check it's code with the convenience module - if it's a match then no code needed to be entered.
However, if a you install a different head unit to that "remembered" in the convenience module then the code needs to be entered.

Also note that if you remove a "retrofitted" head unit, i.e. it has wiring harnss adaptors, then make sure the power loom is the last loom connected after the "BOSE/Amp/CD connector" - this connector carries the CAN-bus connections to the convenience module.

My original Concert II stereo was supplied by the dealer without a security card and they even gave me the wrong code which did not work when I had to use it. I found by leaving the stereo powered for an hour or so allowed me another 3 attempts at entering the code - originally thought I was entering the code wrong.

I eventually got the correct code from Cambridge Audi, (not my local dealer) - as the unit was not in the car I gave them the Radio serial number and my V5 document as proof of ownership and driving license as ID. They gave me the correct code free of charge. Was surprised they were so helpful, especially as not supplied by them and on a 5 year+ car!
If it's in the car they can get the serial number via a diagnostics check.

Last edited:
do you have the manual?
As i am sure you have to press a combination of buttons to get the code entry bit up . I know you do on a double din syphony

Security Code entry comes up by default on RNS-E at power-up if required.

When it's timed out you need to keep it turned on for 30 or 60 minutes until it allows you to try entering the code again.

You say you have a Nav Plus - but both the RNS-D and RNS-E are labelled as Nav Plus! Since yours is a 2003 I'm guessing you have an RNS-D (a large knob either side of a non-motorised screen).