Volks AutosBadger5

Thread: RNS-E Repairs?

1st Gear

Status

RNS-E Repairs?

My factory fitted RNS-E refuses to read the sat nav dvd now after intermittently working for the past year. Ive tried a cleaning disk but it wont read anything at all now, can anyone advise if this can be repaired by myself or if it needs a professional can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    I think it might be the laser thats gone as Ive been using a copied 2008 disk for the past 18 months and the disk was getting extremely warm.

thanks.

54 A4 Avant 1.9TDi SE 130 6sp, factory fitted RNS-E Sat Nav, Colour DIS, 6-disk changer, Bluetooth, rear parking sensors and ambient lighting.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Have you got a genuine disc? If not it might be worth while getting one. I would try that first. Copied discs make the laser work much harder when it reads them.
    A4 3.0 quattro sport avant B6

1st Gear

Status
    Yep, you can replace the laser. On navplus.us there is someone who sells them - I did mine a while ago. Take you time and follow the instructions and it's fairly easy

Chas

1st Gear

Status
    I think the guy goes by 'rabbit' he is based in Belgium
    A4 3.0 quattro sport avant B6

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by no_idea View Post
    I think the guy goes by 'rabbit' he is based in Belgium
    Both rabbit and Haaggie (who's from The Netherlands) on http://www.audiforum.us sell replacement lasers - IIRC they both sell the updated post 2005 ones that are more reliable than earlier lasers.

As said in an earlier post using copied DVDs makes the laser work harder and shortens the life of them considerably.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

4th Gear

Status
    Slinger - if it helps you can borrow my pukka 2007 DVD to se if it works any better than yours....I am only around the corner from you....
    Monza Silver A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro (170) - Heated Alcantara Leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Folding Door Miirrors, Electric Tailgate, Privacy Glass, etc

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have had a similar problem which I have cured, the unit would read the disc every now and again. I had to clean the laser directly with a cotton bud and some cleaning fluid.
    So far it has cured the problem, if you want to know more then message me.