Radiator fan comes on & stays on!

madpirie

Reaction score
I have a 2003 1.8 T Sport. Yesterday I returned to my car to find the battery flat. After getting a jump start and travelling home I parked up my vehicle in the drive. About 15 mins later I heard the radiator fan working however it failed to stop and would only do so if the ignition key was turned in the ignition or if the fuse was removed. It seems this is what drained my battery! The car is not running hot and is otherwise fine. It was a very wet day yesterday when this occured but dry today. Anyone had this problem or got any ideas as to what it might be?

I believe someone else had this problem and it was water getting into the ECU box and shorting relays out. The ECU itself was fine as its raised up, but the relays sit lower down. I also think that he bought a new lid for the ECU box too and that wasn't that expensive either

I believe someone else had this problem and it was water getting into the ECU box and shorting relays out. The ECU itself was fine as its raised up, but the relays sit lower down. I also think that he bought a new lid for the ECU box too and that wasn't that expensive either

yeah it was me, sounds exactly the same, he just needs to open the ECU cover and check for water and rusty relays, each relay cost me 25 quid from VW, the audi part was a little dearer :)