Engine Just Cut Out. Please Help?

Ronniebiggs

Reaction score
I was travelling along the road and my engine just cut out and when I tried to restart it. The car would turn over but wouldnt even attenpt to fire?

I thought it may have been the auxiallary air pump and so went to take it out as I could smell a burning wire smell from under the bonnet.

The only sign of a fault was the engine EPC light came on. When I took the engine covers off I noticed that one of the coil packs had a crack in the top and some black burnt mark and it stunk of the burning smell I mentioned. So I changed the coil pack and left the battery off for about 15 mins to try and reset the ECU. When I went to restart the car. Nothing had changed.

Any help Im sick. Would the car have blown a fuse somewhere if the coil pack had shorted out? I have had 2 packs go previously and normally the car only goes onto 3 pots and still runs.

Please help

Andy

anyone else expect someone had bought a car with a cardboard cut out of an engine in it :D

anyone else expect someone had bought a car with a cardboard cut out of an engine in it :D

lol....had to read it three times before i got it!!

glad its sorted ronnieb, for reference though could you post which fuse had blown? might help someone else in the future :thumbsup:

It was fuse number 29 I believe. It was listed on the fuse box as engine management.

Could have cost me a fortune that small thing!!

With regards to the fuse's in our car's i had problem a few week's ago ,
i was unable to lock the passenger door and the rear door's also the driver's window only would close 3/4's of the way .Turned out to be a 15amp fuse number 24 . I replaced the fuse and bang the fuse blew within 2 day's .So i replaced the fuse with a 20amp all good , fingers crossed ..

With regards to the fuse's in our car's i had problem a few week's ago ,
i was unable to lock the passenger door and the rear door's also the driver's window only would close 3/4's of the way .Turned out to be a 15amp fuse number 24 . I replaced the fuse and bang the fuse blew within 2 day's .So i replaced the fuse with a 20amp all good , fingers crossed ..

Not being funny mate but if the fuse was/is supposed to be 15amp i wouldn't put a higher rated one in, you are asking for trouble. I suppose at least you might find the fault when you see the smoke:)