DIS Retro-fit Question

NickR85

Reaction score
I am looking to install the DIS to my 2004 1.9TDI 130 sport, I am just wandering how much it would cost, what parts i would need (do i have to buy all the different sensors etc) and where is the best place to get the parts?

Cheers

I think it's about £150 inc parts and labour to get HazzyDayz (vwcruise.com) to do it... plus £80 if you want the washer bottle sensor... you can probably negotiate a bit off that if you want to get cruise control or anything else that needs the wheel off / instruments out....

NickR85 is your car a saloon or an avant?? cos if its a saloon i have a wiper stalk which looks as new you can buy off me for £40 inc P+P as i am an idiot and have an avant car which needs the stalk with the rear wash wipe controls.

PM me if your interested

From what I have been told you just need the DIS wiper stalk and vag-com to activate it. A pin on the instruments also needs to be grounded or you get a low washer fluid warning, if not fit the washer level sensor and wire that in too.

From what I have been told you just need the DIS wiper stalk and vag-com to activate it. A pin on the instruments also needs to be grounded or you get a low washer fluid warning, if not fit the washer level sensor and wire that in too.

That is correct;)

When I had my DIS upgraded it was only the new stalk and VAG.com that was required.

What is this little DIS module you refer to? I have never heard this mentioned before (apart from you anyway)
No extra module is required - just the wiper stalk with the trip computer buttons and some re-coding of the existing SCSM, and dealing with the washer level low warning (either by wiring it to ground or adding the level sensor to the reservoir).

No extra module is required - just the wiper stalk with the trip computer buttons and some re-coding of the existing SCSM, and dealing with the washer level low warning (either by wiring it to ground or adding the level sensor to the reservoir).

I agree Dave, it's just that Lostbok has mentioned this a couple of times now and I was after some clarification, as if it is not correct it could mislead others.
As I said I have never heard of this 'extra module' and when I did mine it was exactly as you have said.

I agree Dave, it's just that Lostbok has mentioned this a couple of times now and I was after some clarification, as if it is not correct it could mislead others.
I can only think that he is referring to having to change the SCSM - since it's possible that not all versions of the SCSM can be coded for the DIS in the same way that some versions of the SCSM cannot be coded for cruise and/or MFSW.

But that's a module replacement, not an extra module...

NickR85 is your car a saloon or an avant?? cos if its a saloon i have a wiper stalk which looks as new you can buy off me for £40 inc P+P as i am an idiot and have an avant car which needs the stalk with the rear wash wipe controls.

PM me if your interested

Sounds like a plan mate, would you be happy enough to post?

Also does anyone know the number for the water bottle sensor and part number?

Cheers

Nick

Sorry NickR85,

Had a PM a couple of days ago from another guy on here who wants the wiper stalk so as he contacted me first i am gonna let him have it.

Although if you PM a user on here called Marc1 i think he has a saloon version he is selling too so you should be able to cut a deal with him.

This : http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-a4-s4-cabrio/68576-retro-fitting-dis-cruise-a4-b6.html is the link to the thread over on tyresmoke which has alot more details on the retrofit you should find part numbers there.

Hope that helps

Yep, I've got a saloon version up for grabs. Same price if you're interested.

Also does anyone know the number for the water bottle sensor and part number?

Cheers

Nick

I posted this on page 14 of the thread you have a link to above:

Hi, I have just installed both dis and cruise to my A4 avant. All went fairly well, thanks to all those who have contributed here. Doing the last bit of coding can be a bit nerve racking when all the lights are flashing on the dash. When I installed my washer bottle sensor wire I managed to route it down one of the existing large rubber boots into the passenger foot well without too much trouble. I bought the plug, along with the correct connectors, that fits into the sensor, this makes it a very neat job. I picked up an earth using one of the bolts that holds the washer bottle in place, it saves having to run two wires into the footwell. The part numbers are:
Washer bottle sensor: 7M0 919 376
Contact Housing (plug): 1J0 973 202
Connector Wires: 000 979 009A
Connector Wires: 000 979 133A
I can't remember which of the wires are for the sensor plug and which are for the connector on the instrument cluster, but as you need one of each of these anyway I don't suppose it matters. If you haven't seen these wires before they are just a short length of wire with a connector crimped on each end. You cut it and join up to it. I soldered my connecting wire and then put a piece of heat shrink over the top".

Hope it helps

I think the DIS module that Lostbok is referring too is the steering module that has to be replaced when fitting cruise. From what I have read the module is needed if fitting cruise (and DIS as most people do both) but not DIS on its own.

Ah - thanks for that Garfie... I was having both done at the same time, so you could WELL be right!

It just feels like there's a whole separate unit under there when you scroll through: Sat Nav, Off, Trip 1, Trip 2 (and then scroll up and down on the "Trip 1" and "Trip 2" options for range, avg speed, avg mpg, instant mpg, etc)

I'm going to have a go at this. Does someone have a link to the actual vag-com coding needed just for doing the DIS install. I have found lots of different things, but most relate to cruise etc. I don't have cruise or MFSW, so just want to add DIS. Do I just remove the steering wheel and replace the stalk, then recode in vag-com? I also need to ground Pin 1 on the display cluster.

Cheers

technics100, as far as I know to just get DIS that's all you need to do. Have not got round to it myself yet as was shocked at the £70 the stealers wanted for the stalk!!

Do note that there are 2 different stalks, the saloon one, and the avant one which has rear wiper controls on it too.

I have a saloon stalk if anyone is interested :)

Technics100,

You are defo getting the saloon version as I bought it for my Avant by accident (have another one on the way). As long as you already have cruise control i believe its a straight swap as that is what i have already and others have done and been successful.

useful little coding link that technics good find.

OK, I have just finished installing DIS in my car last night, all seems to be working well. No real problems at all. It took about 2 hours total, this included the grounding of Pin 1 too. I followed the instructions from the tyresmoke thread;

Below is a quick summary of any changes / problems I had.

To remove the lower steering wheel cover I had to use a screw driver as I didn't have a torx bit small or thin enough to fit. Airbag unscrewed easily but I was a bit wary of pulling the plug off the back, I prised it off with a screw driver. I unclipped the steering angle ring and installed the DIS stalk and re-fitted everything. I didn't need to remove the underside of the dash as I had enough room around it to work. Then I removed the clocks and unplugged them, I opened my old wiper stalk and used the wee pin to insert into position 1 of the blue plug, I then grounded this to a nut behind the dash. refitted the clocks and reconnected the battery.

When I started the car I got the ESP light on, scanned with vag-com and got a few errors.

18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
35-00 - -
01826 - Sensor for Steering Angle (G85): Supply Voltage Terminal 30
35-00 - -
01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285)
49-10 - No Communications – Intermittent
01616 - Signal Wire to Interior Monitor
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
00955 - Key 1
35-10 - - - Intermittent

I cleared the power supply error and signal wire to interior monitor and Key 1 errors as I think these are just because the battery was disconnected.

I went in and recoded the Control module from 01001 to 01011 which I found from this website.

http://ade2ade.googlepages.com/a4-cruise-coding

I have 3 spoke steering wheel, no tiptronic, DIS no cruise and a saloon. That generated the code. This then cleared the Control module error code.

I then went into section 17 in vag-com and did the following

17-Instruments]
[Adaption-10]
Channel 19
[Read] (Make a note of the 'Stored Value')
Change the stored value to enable DIS according to the table below

My existing code was 30100, I’m not sure what this meant but I changed it to the following. (section D of above Link)
Remote clock: Remote clock not active (don’t know what a remote clock is, I don’t think I have it)
Ambient Temp: Display & illumination active
Driver Information System: DIS 1 (suggested)
Board Computer: Level 1 & 2
Illumination: Needle active at ignition on

This generated the code 11010 which the car accepted and a small 1 appeared on my DIS, that was it fully working with trip 1 & 2

This only left was the ESP light on and the steering angle error. I drove the car 20 metres up the road to centre the wheel and performed the calibration as found here.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/steeringangle.html

The lights went off and I have DIS.. Woo Hoo.. I did a full auto-scan and it found no errors..

Any questions just ask..

Good Work technics!

good to know the instructions work and you have made it to full DIS.

Vrbob

yeah, its not too hard and good to get it done. Only thing I have noticed is that when I hit the reset button to go from 1 to 2 then from 2 to 1 again, it turns the DIS off so I need to hit it again to go back to 1. Is that normal?

I just found my control module code, is this compatiable with cruise?

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 953 549 S

Last edited:
yeah, its not too hard and good to get it done. Only thing I have noticed is that when I hit the reset button to go from 1 to 2 then from 2 to 1 again, it turns the DIS off so I need to hit it again to go back to 1. Is that normal?

Yes that is normal. It enables you to turn it off completely if you so wished. Also if you have RNS-E fitted you would be able (once coded correctly) to see the turn directions in the dis, if you have a route planned, if not street name and compass directions.
It's a good little mod. you have just done and not all that expensive to do. Well done mate. What's next!!??

Thanks, Just need Xenon's and rear parking sensors.. Thats me done... hopefully.. PS. I don't have RNS-E I'm afraid... concert CD player for me :-(

Excellent write up technics100, thanks for that. Makes me want to get my DIS even more now.

I think I'll try and rig the screenwash sensor up too though when I do mine

No problem.. write up for washer sensor, just if your lazy.. I might do it at some point if i'm bored!!

Washer Sensor.

1. Remove passenger front wheel
2. Remove wheel arch liner completely
3. Hole for sensor is located at base of reservoir, should be plugged, remove plug and allow to drain.
3. Used Spade terminals to connect wire to sensor, (I used speaker type wire so both ends will be run into cabin)
4. Seal the connections using silicon to ensure no water ingress and rout cable though top of wheel arch.
5. There as a large grommet to the right of the suspension that already has a large cable going through with a small "nipple" above and below where the cable goes through. Snip the end off and feed the cable through.
6. Inside the car I removed the glovebox to gain access to the grommet which ou should hopefully see the cable sticking through. (left of the blower housing)
7. Pull all excess cable through before refitting the inner arch cover and replacing wheel. (Check for leaks first!)
8. Route twin cable to drivers side and run one end to earth and the other to pin one behind the speedo as described earlier in the posts!
9. Put all the car together again and hey presto no warning light ( So long as you have filled with water!!)

Hope this is of use to someone! Let us know if you have any problems. Takes about 1 hour in all and you will need a torx screwdriver for the screws that hold the arch lining in and an 8mm socket to remove the glovebox!

Parts

Washer bottle sensor: 7M0 919 376
Contact Housing (plug): 1J0 973 202
Connector Wires: 000 979 009A
Connector Wires: 000 979 133A