RNS-e Directions on DIS

JohnboyC

Reaction score
Hi...
I have an RNS-e installed in my B6, as well as the full red DIS. (i.e. I can select current MPG, miles to go on current fuel in the tank, time I have been driving, etc, etc, via the right hand stalk on steering column). When I get a fault though the fault indication is shown on top third of the DIS in colour.

So, can my car be VAGCOM'd to show the driving directions on the DIS or not ?

I think you can get it on the dis but there is a glitch that after you plug in the destination you have to turn the rnse off and back on or something.

John

I have RNS-E and as jwhat says to get the directions on the the dis you have to load in your destination into the unit then turn it off then back on again and the directions then are shown on the DIS.

Ian

Thanks Ian... just tried that but it does not work....will ask Gareth on monday...

Maybe coding isnt correct, you got vagcom to check.

Sounds like the "Instruments" are not coded correctly.

For module 17-Instruments
Channel Adaption 62 - Should have +1 (Radio info) and +4 (Nav Info)
So set at least a minimum value of 5.
(Other options are +2 for Telephone , +8 for Telematics - adjust accordingly)
As you have OEM Bluetooth also add another +2, so final value will be 6.

With regard to the "RED-DIS Bug".......
With the RNS-E already on at ignition time then no NAV or Compass information is shown on the DIS. Simply Turn the RNS-E off (Screen goes blank) and back on again and the NAV or Compass information will be displayed on the DIS, other DIS information can be cycled through with the respective DIS stalk select button.

As Niknak says, once its coded correctly its a case of turning the unit off for a second then back on again and hey presto all info will be displayed in the DIS.... for info though you don't need to have a destination entered into the nav, in this mode it will show your direction and the name of the road you are on...pretty cool eh!!

Manyt thanks to those who have provided feedback on this....I will get this "sorted" next monday when I have my MFSW fitted.

Hmmm, the "last" thing I am tempted with is getting the 1.8T rear exausts on my 2.5TDi which has the pointy down diesel exhausts..and maybe that Phatnoise system if I can get a good deal on it...

Main priority for me is keeping the car in A1 condition...so I may get the entire front bumper/valance resprayed probably next spring

if Gareth (HazzyDayz) or his brother fitted it, I'm sure they would have vagcom'd it... once that's done, the bug on the red DIS is that you have to power the RNS-E off (hold volume in until the screen goes black) and back on EVERY TIME you turn the ignition off.... once that's been doen you can use the full DIS button (or the service interval button) to change it back to trip info, etc.

you DON'T have program the route in before you do this - but it will only give you your compass bearing until then....

Picture164.jpg

losty,
you dont have to go that far buddy, just end route destination and then re-press start destination, pops straight back on again, alot quicker than restarting the rns-e maybe.

So then, just for fun, what track is playing on Lostboks RNS-E ???

I FEEL F

My guess is Chaka Khan - I Feel For You (written by Prince by the way!)

:)

ermmm... not sure... I can find out if you really want - pretty sure it's off the missus' "80's Fantastic megamix".... if that helps....

edit: okay, that's creepy, yes.... Chaka Khan "I feel for you"... and even with the missus driving the radio (no license, so she never gets to drive the car) I think that one would have go the "scroll down" treatment, so volume must have been off! (apols to any Chaka Khan fans out there, but not really my style)...

...and thanks 1wheel - I'll try that today!

Last edited:
ermmm... not sure... I can find out if you really want - pretty sure it's off the missus' "80's Fantastic megamix".... if that helps....

edit: okay, that's creepy, yes.... Chaka Khan "I feel for you"... and even with the missus driving the radio (no license, so she never gets to drive the car) I think that one would have go the "scroll down" treatment, so volume must have been off! (apols to any Chaka Khan fans out there, but not really my style)...

...and thanks 1wheel - I'll try that today!

hehehe...always the doris's fault!!!

Thanks to Hazzydayz meeting with Niknak in Machester - he did the necessary VAGCOM tweak and the RNS-e directions on the DIS now work just great - need to do the frig explained in the earlier posts above....