RNS-E Retrofit

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Right i know this has been covered before and i have been discussing it with some of you in other threads but i wanted to make sure i am getting this 100% right before i start buying anything.

So i am wanting to convert my single DIN concert stereo to a double DIN RNS-E system. Now do i go DIY and buy the bits needed or go for the pay the money and let someone else do the whole thing?

If i do it myself what exactly do i need?? i have found the following bits on ebay:

Double Din Cage - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Audi...e_ET?hash=item562b88dd85&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

RNS-E Unit - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-RNS-E-DV...tems?hash=item3a5259144f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Would there be anything else i need to complete the install other than getting it programmed via VAGCOM?

Also is there a link to a guide on how to do the Double Din from Single upgrade with pics etc and then anothe guide for fitting the RNS-E unit?

I have also found this company http://www.oemretrofits.co.uk/ who look like they will do the whole thing including the double din upgrade for £630 plus £20 to meet them in London for the install rather than go all the way to Leeds.

Do you need to buy the whole console and HVAC unit too on the B6, you deffo do on a B5. My douible DIN setup cost me £200 for the console,ashtray,HVAC and shifter trim. Without the added cost of the RNS-e.

I would look at a bit more research to be sure as that fitted price is quite good if its a complete kit

Yeah i will drop them an email and get some more details about it. Been reading their website and they say they can meet you anywhere on the M25 so thats not too bad.

Yeah i will drop them an email and get some more details about it. Been reading their website and they say they can meet you anywhere on the M25 so thats not too bad.

drop me a pm with your email addy and i'l mail you a pdf file of an installation guide from single din to rns ;)

to be honest, that price from oemretro is pretty good :) i was lucky as mine was already double-din so it was a simple 5 minute install and 10 minutes for my buddy with vag-com :thumbsup:

1wheelony only had single din in his when he fitted his rns, i'm sure he'll be along soon with some info :thumbsup:

I would like to know some info too but all i want to fit is a double din stereo as i have a kenwood one with satnav already from old car.

weve spoke already mark,

vrbob, as for those links youve put up mate, leave em, there to dear, keep searching, i got my rns-e all in for very little over 400 inc postage and antenna etc.
as for the cage ive seen them on there for buy it now for £38.
it all adds up buddy.
as for getting someone else to do it, WHY ? do it your self, its only screws !
if they can do it then so can you, thats my theory. its an easy job, just takes a while, all the pdf's floating about and people on here all willing to help out where poss, you cant go wrong mate.

so it is ! my mistake, ill get my coat.....
dont know where my head was then, probably where the wife says it normally is, up my ar#e lol
ill keep looking

Cheer Guys for the advice,

Gonna have a look at the PDF as i have just given Mark my email addy so will see if its within my skill level as i don't wann bodge anything or make it look like a homemade install.

Will see if i can find any other bits cheaper as i now have a list of part numbers for the RNS-E units that i was given :
8E0 035 192 C Audi A4 Europe, MY 2004, 8E B6
8E0 035 192 D Audi A4 Europe, MY 2005, 8E B7
8E0 035 192 E Audi A4 North America, MY 2005.5, 8E B6
8E0 035 192 F Audi A4 North America, MY 2006, 8E B7
8E0 035 192 G Audi A4 BNS 5.0
8E0 035 192 H Audi A4 Europe, MY 2006, 8E B7, with SDS
8E0 035 192 J Audi A4 North America, MY 2006, 8E B7
8E0 035 192 K Audi A4 Europe, MY 2007, 8E B7, sw 0500
8E0 035 192 M Audi A4 BNS 5.0
8E0 035 192 N Audi A4 Europe, MY 2007, 8E B7, with SDS
8E0 035 192 P Audi A4 North America, MY 2007, 8E B7
8E0 035 192 Q Audi A4 Europe, MY 2008, 8E B7
8E0 035 192 R Audi A4 Europe, MY 2008, 8E B7, with SDS, sw 0650
8E0 035 192 S Audi A4 BNS 5.0
8E0 035 192 T Audi A4 Europe, MY 2008, 8E B7, sw 0650
8E0 035 193 Audi A4 Europe, MY 2008.5, 8E B7, with SDS

So that will help with my search for cheaper bits.

Oh well cheers for trying 1wheel if anyone else sees any bits let me know and i can add them to my watch list.

dont rule out modding the single din cage, im sure theres a thread about that someone has done it.

Single DIN to Double DIN (DD) conversion is easy enough - I've done it. Followed a guide I found off the web - probably the pdf you already have?

Actually did it in two stages with respect to the final RNS-E upgrade. Got a DD 6 CD Audi Symphony radio off Ebay and fitted that until I could find a decent RNS-E I wanted. Sold the original Single DIN Audi Concet radio, and the DD one once I got the RNS-E all up and running. So made a few quid on that too.

Some people have "Cut" their A/C unit to fit, others buy a second hand DD one. I got a DD cage and A/C unit for £155 of Ebay so pretty good bargain - the A/C unit was for a B7 so had to revise the rear window demist wiring via a relay - again easy enough to do.

As for RNS-E go for the latest version - I got hold of a "T" and paid a premium but it was only a few months old from an S3 via a ICE shop in Leicester - was a seller under Ebay at one time. Can't recall the ID at this time.

Very satisfying once you've done it all yourself.

Just had a quick flick thru the PDF fitting guide (Thanks Mark) and it looks quite a job. I didn't realise you would have to remove so many bits of trim just to replace the cage. Will defo wait for the company to email me in regards to them doing the whole job as i would be happy to pay some more for peace of mind. Emailed another company on Ebay who are in leicestershire who will do the conversion including all the bits and provide the RNS-E for £700. Of course London is nearer me and if its £50 less that is defo a good option.

how much does the bluetooth cost and what functionality does it offer?

Can't get the conversion done by the London mobile service it can only be done in Bradford so although its cheaper £630 its a 500 mile round trip so alot of driving and sitting around plus extra fuel costs.

The company on Ebay i originally contacted will do it for £700 and they are based in Leicester so a 300 mile round trip plus they offer a 12 month warranty on both the fitting and the equipment. So i have dropped them a mail to see if they will do it for £650 all in.

let us know what they qoute you for the single to double din vrbob.

i posted up a link to a media adaptor for the rns-e, but i ended up buying myself for a friend.

Right then.....

I am now thinking i may well tackle the retro fit myself. Reasons being it looks like i am gonna have to do a few at the same time as it makes no sense to take the car apart twice (or more)!

So after my slight oversight when buying the car it turns out i don't have the full DIS function so this is a must for me to retrofit as i am so used to it on my old S3 (i like playing the average MPG game).

So what bits do i need exactly to purchase to complete these retrofits so far on the list is:
For the Full DIS
1. New wiper stalk with DIS buttons 4E0 953 503 B
2. Repair wire (to run to the washer bottle) 000-919-376
3. Washer bottle Sensor 7M0-919-376
4.?
RNS-E inc Double DIN upgrade
1. RNS-E unit
2. Stereo Removal keys (do you need 2 or 4?)
3. GPS Antenna
4. Double DIN Cage
5.?
Also concidering MFSW or FBMFSW
1. Wheel and Airbag with Multifunction controls
2. Slip Ring with multifunction control port
3.?

Now is there anything else i need to add to that list??

I will also need to use VAGCOM to recode everything once its done (if i can do it) So if anyone is willing to do that for me or even help out with the fitting let me know.

Last edited:
vrbob,
im more than willing to help fit it all, ive done all them to mine bar the dis.
im near leicester as you know, where are you ?
we'll go through your list in a bit as theres a few other bits you need and others you might as well get whilst all striped down.
moto gp just starting buddy so ill go through it with you later on.

vrbob,
im more than willing to help fit it all, ive done all them to mine bar the dis.
im near leicester as you know, where are you ?
we'll go through your list in a bit as theres a few other bits you need and others you might as well get whilst all striped down.
moto gp just starting buddy so ill go through it with you later on.

Mate thats really nice of you to offer am in sunny Southampton so a bit of a trek for you but if and when the time comes and you fancy it am sure i can supply you with as much tea or coffee as you can drink plus bacon sarnies!

No worries i am gonna go sit down in a bit too as has been quite a long day so far.

Basically i wanna get my list 100% right and then start buying stuff once i have all the bits i am gonna do the lot all in one hit so to be honest it could be a while before i do it plus this way i can spread the cost over a few months wages rather than all in one hit. plus the money i save on getting a pro to fit i can spend on the multi function wheel :)

Lastly if anyone sees anything on ebay or similar on my shopping list for a good price please let me know so i can add it to my watch list.

Last edited:
bacon sarnies!
im on my way!!! lo

if you get the lot then make a day of it, just got to be sure youve got everything.
pm me your number bob

Cheers Woorlord thats the PDF i was sent too so glad to see someone has followed it and it worked out all good. Out of interest in your earlier post you said you manged to flog the old bits out of your car any idea what sort of money you got for them cos i will sell my bits too and any money back is good of course.

...........you said you manged to flog the old bits out of your car any idea what sort of money you got for them cos i will sell my bits too and any money back is good of course.

Do some research on Ebay, search for the bits you are going to sell and see what price they are going for. Make sure you have a good picture and describe it well. If in very good 100% looked after mint condition then expect to get top money, anything else will obviously be less.
One tip with radio's - original manual and code card are always a good indication that it's not nicked!!

My original Concert II was bid listed for £59.99 and went for £100.
and my "interim" Symphony II was bid listed for £119 and settled for £120 to a cash buyer whom collected!!

Still got my Single DIN cage and SD A/C unit - not really bothered to sell these yet.

Shopping list has started just got myself the wiper stalk with computer controls for £38 inc P+P Full DIS here i come :)

vrbob - I've only skim-read this, but I didn't see any mention of the AC unit - you need a narrower unit since it sits lower on the centre console.... can modify the existing one though, so not a biggy....

washer bottle sensor NOT essential and apparently takes around 2hrs to fit...

Yeah i am planning on making the current Climat control and heated seats unit fit lower down by doing a spot of trimming / filing.

I noticed that the washer bottle sensor wasn't essential as you can just ground the pin so the warning goes away. As i am gonna take the car apart anyway to do the single to double din upgrade i may aswell do the washer bottle sensor at the same time as supposedly there is a grommit behingd the glovebox amicable for the wire to run thru.

... may aswell do the washer bottle sensor at the same time as supposedly there is a grommit behingd the glovebox amicable for the wire to run thru.

understood - agreed, does make sense to do it now, since the dash will be apart anyway...

Shopping list has started just got myself the wiper stalk with computer controls for £38 inc P+P Full DIS here i come :)

Bargin!! just out of interest do you have the part number of the wiper stalk?

Bargin!! just out of interest do you have the part number of the wiper stalk?

Niknak I don't have the part number at the mo as it's in the loft, but it's for sale if you're interested. You'll need to get the repair wire from pjmspeedy or the dealer for a few quid if you want to huck it up to the washer bottle too.

this is the part number i was given to look for 4E0 953 503 B

Doh!

Wiper stalk just showed up so excitedly openeed it and immediately thought something aint right here.... Yup i was right i have purchased a saloon cars wiper stalk so it doesnt have the rear washwipe controls :(

So anyone in need of a mint looking wiperstalk with DIS controls for a B6 saloon drop me a PM as its yours for £40 inc P+P.