2004 A4 1.9TDI Multironic problems

mdurna

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have an Audi A4 1.9TDI 2004 at 174000 km. I am the second owner of the car. I observe a couple of problems in the transmission and never have owned a multitronic transmission before, so I am not so sure that my observations are real problems or not.

My observations are as follows:

1. While stopping, when acceleration pressed, the car does not respones immediately but accelerates after a couple of seconds delay,
2. Seldomly it slightly jolts (not much),
3. When stopped on a steep inclination, at position "D", when I pull away from brake, the car slips back, does not come to stop (depending on the steepness). So, I use hand brakes to avoid slipping back.
4. After stopped on an inclined road at transmission position "P", when taking to "D", the car again jolts slighly.

Except those, the car and transmission operates nice and clean. I love to drive it.

I would like to ask you that, is this phenomenon really a multitronic problem?
If they are really consequences of a problem, should I go to a service to fix it? Do they get worse?

I would like to appreciate bothering you and taking your time.

Best Regards,
Mehmet

Hi Mehmet,

The characteristics you describe are quite typical of the multitronic gearbox and not really faults. You do learn to live with these quirks and can adjust your driving style to minimise them, by being smooth on the throttle when pulling away for example.

The multitronic is a nice smooth gearbox most of the time and worth persevering with. Just make sure the gearbox oil is changed every 40,000 miles.

Yes, like Corb2000 said, make sure the gearbox oil is changed. This really is critical. Check your service history, and if it hasn't been done in the last 40,000 miles - or indeed if there's no way of telling if it has been done - get it changed. A reputable independent garage should charge about £150 - £200.

Hope you enjoy the car Mehmet, and welcome to the forum.

Dear Corb2000 and Jeff,

Thanks a lot for your response. In the last two days, I have heard a lot of bad experiences with the multitronic problems, most of them are really horrible.

But as you have said, I have get acustomed to issues of my own car. As I have said, they really do not hassle too much only small things that could be workaround by adapting driving habits as you have said. One-two seconds delay in response when pulling away is not bad as long as it is and stays deterministic. In fact I only worried about, whether they become worse.

Could I ask you that, which kind of utilisation lenghtens my transmissions lifetime? For example, using tiptronic mode instead of "D" or "S", not quickly revving, or anyother style?

So, as I understood, rolling-back of the car on steep inclinations in "D" is a normal situation, is not it?

Thanks again.
Best regards,
Mehmet

Hi Mehmet,

The characteristics you describe are quite typical of the multitronic gearbox and not really faults. You do learn to live with these quirks and can adjust your driving style to minimise them, by being smooth on the throttle when pulling away for example.

The multitronic is a nice smooth gearbox most of the time and worth persevering with. Just make sure the gearbox oil is changed every 40,000 miles.

If it's a steep hill, then it probably will roll backwards in D if the engine is at idle speed. It's like slipping the clutch on a manual. Best way to avoid it is to put the handbrake on or, if it's only for a very short moment, increase the revs very gently.

There's no reason why you should not use D, S and Tipronic as and when you want to. In all modes, just follow the basic common sense rules of not mis-treating the system. Make all your inputs smooth, and not sudden or jerky.

Early generation multitronics did have problems, but later ones are much more reliable. Like we said, though, the maintenance is vital, so check that service history, and if there's any doubt, get the gearbox oil changed.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Tanks again Jeff.
For a side information, what type of transmission is used in B6 chassis of A4 multitronics? They speak about five or six plates, seven plates etc.

If it's a steep hill, then it probably will roll backwards in D if the engine is at idle speed. It's like slipping the clutch on a manual. Best way to avoid it is to put the handbrake on or, if it's only for a very short moment, increase the revs very gently.

There's no reason why you should not use D, S and Tipronic as and when you want to. In all modes, just follow the basic common sense rules of not mis-treating the system. Make all your inputs smooth, and not sudden or jerky.

Early generation multitronics did have problems, but later ones are much more reliable. Like we said, though, the maintenance is vital, so check that service history, and if there's any doubt, get the gearbox oil changed.

:thumbsup:

Tanks again Jeff.
For a side information, what type of transmission is used in B6 chassis of A4 multitronics? They speak about five or six plates, seven plates etc.

I'm not sure about that, to be honest. Hopefully, someone else here will know the answer.