A4 S-Line 1.8T Quattro

SimonScuffham

Reaction score
Anybody else got one of these?

Done some 2,300 miles in it and it's a slow as a dog, no discernable turbo boost, and just generally gutless.

Now, I appreciate that one mans gutless somewhat subjective, but it just does not feel like a 190 Bhp engine.

Anybody else got one of these? – if so, what’s yours feel like?

Is it really bad or is it you're just not satisfied with it? Just wondering if you're running as a 1.8 and may not have the turbo.

Does it feel like the car which I assume you test drove?

Just trying to work out if you have a fault or are simply not happy with the normal performance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hard to know if the turbo is working or not...

if you plant the throttle at 1,500 RPM in say 3rd, I would expect to be able to 'feel' the turbo come on boost @~2,000 rpm, instread, it just accelerates in a linear fashion (slowly!)

Other point is that at no time can I hear the turbo spinning, even with you head next to the tail pipes, or the turbo under the bonnet.

Took it back to the dealer they pluged it in etc and proclaimed it was OK, and that they don't loosed up for 15K miles!

What sort of time does it take to do say 30-60 in 3rd anyone?

Sounds like it's time for an experiement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dvlocation2.jpg

This is a picture of a 1.8T in a TT (courtesy of "Wak"). If you disconnect the electrical connector and go for a quick drive you'll soon know whether your turbo's working or not.

I found this out when I fitted a replacement DV in my TT and accidently left it disconnected. You'll know virtually instantly (as soon as you go over about 3000rpm) whether your turbo was working or not. It the car feels even worse, then the turbo was working. If it's no different then you've not been getting any turbo boost.

Don't forget to reconnect it afterwards.

TBH though I'm sure Audi would have found out if the turbo wasn't working but possibly worth a check.

I must say I found my S-line quattro fairly slow, but that was compared to my previous car ( Leon Cupra R with 280bhp).

They do need to loosen up - no doubt about it. My A4 went back to the dealer to have the rear screen replaced and I had a 163bhp sport for the day. That felt quicker but had done nearly 15000 miles.

I have had my A4 remapped by AMD and had Milltek exhaust and AMD DV fitted. The car now has around 260bhp and now feels like a proper car.

Although the current weather is reducing the power and I also have a problem with a collapsing hose which needs replacing for a metal one. AMD are sorting this out at the moment.

If you get it remapped that will make all the difference, or just wait for the miles to go on!

I have a 18.T 190 (non s line non Quatrro). It goes extremely well on boost. Wind the windows down and foot it; you should hear a whistle from the sport turbo fitted to this engine.

Just sold my S-Line, They are slow, but dont forget the weight the engine has to move. Try Revo for an up grade.
Oh on another note, does anyone with an S-Line think the wind noise from the screen vents is a little too loud at motorway speeds?.
Not that I care any more!.

Platinum, Did the insurance go up or did you forget to tell them!!!

Has anyone tinted the windows of the s-line and if so how does it look, who done it and is it legal?????

Hey all you guys.. remember you gotta run the car on super plus or optimax to get the performance. Normal 95 ron unleaded results in the engine management system knocking back the timing etc. This applies to most of Audi's petrol range these days especially the FSi...

I've got one and it's not a blisteringly quick car, but recently I was in convoy with two mates, one in a T-reg 328i and the other in a Honda Accord Type-R and there was no discernable difference between any of them during quick A and B road driving conditions. I think the nice thing about the 190 1.8T engine is that you don't have to change down to get reasonable acceleration in normal driving conditions, as long as the engine is above about 2000rpm of course. Certainly I never change out of 6th when on the motorway unless I drop below about 45mph or something like that.

AQccording to the book, the fuel required is 98 RON - Mmmm now where can I buy that .. err ... Ah yes, most of Europe, but not UK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (Super is 97RON)
Anyone tried octane boosters?

Redex fuel injection cleaner acts as a octane booster,
I have use it for 16 years on all my cars
works a treat, try it, p.s. put more in than recomened

Done just on 900miles now . Run it in as per handbook (its my money) 1500km is about 930miles . I'm more than happy with the drive (firm but Quattro is fantastic) the midrange is great it picks up very well in 3rd & 4th still not given it FULL throttle but I dont think the point of this engine is top end (leave that to the K04 turbo) its more about smooth midrange and overtaking drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif
I'm sure I'll go for a remap when the time is right and a few more tuners are doing maps tho.Enough is never enough..........

[ QUOTE ]
Scuffers said:

What sort of time does it take to do say 30-60 in 3rd anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll check times and post soon. Ps It's had Optimax in the tank since the first tank was at half way.

Scuffers

What are you doing in 3rd at 1500rpm !!!

It's only a 1.8 and even with the Turbo it won't be producing much torque at those revs. Stir the 'box a bit and you'll get better performance.

Dave