Should my car lock automaticly?

sonnyjim

Reaction score
Not much more to add apart from its a 03 S4, and it doesn't!

cheers

Sonnyjim.

Do you mean when driving, like an anti-hijack feature? Or after a period of time when stationary?

no I mean when leaving the car.

Just heard of the highjacking thing, thought to myself its strange that it locks the doors at 10mph when surely the most likely time to get highjacked is at 0mph. But then I realised that they must remain closed after reaching 10mph for the first time and not unlock when slowing down again! I pressume I'm right?

Sonnyjim

The short answer is no!
If you unlock the car and do not open the door or boot it will relock itself.
The anti hijack if programmed will trigger and lock the car when you hit 10mph/15kmph.:rtfm:

The short answer is no!
If you unlock the car and do not open the door or boot it will relock itself.
The anti hijack if programmed will trigger and lock the car when you hit 10mph/15kmph.:rtfm:

I'm male so burn all manuals on ownership of anything. Are all audis fitted with anti high jack?

OK now I feel like a right tit! It does work when I don't open the doors, might RTFM instead of spending time on the net.

Cheers

and sorry

sonnyjim

Reason I asked was that I had a mk2 golf with a after market alarm/CL fitted that would activate after you had left the car, you know open the door to get out sort of thing.

Sonnyjim

I'm male so burn all manuals on ownership of anything. Are all audis fitted with anti high jack?

OK now I feel like a right tit! It does work when I don't open the doors, might RTFM instead of spending time on the net.

Cheers

and sorry

sonnyjim
the anti-hijack thing is normally switched on and off by the dealer or someone with a VAG-COM. It will lock at 10mph and stay locked when you slow down. It's normally the thing you activate along with priority door unlocking so that only the drivers door unlocks with the first press of the unlock button on the remote. A second press unlocks the rest.

I can't remember off the top of my head if a door will re-lock once you stop to let a passenger out. My gut says the door will re-lock at 10mph as it would defeat the object if it didn't!

and once enabled, the normal setting is that it should unlock once you stop and take the key out of the ignition....

.....I can't remember off the top of my head if a door will re-lock once you stop to let a passenger out. My gut says the door will re-lock at 10mph as it would defeat the object if it didn't!

After auto-locking at ~10mph, the doors unlock again once the car has stopped and the ignition key is removed.
Passengers may override this by two tugs of the internal door release.
The driver can also press the unlock button on their door.

In the event of an accident where the car senses this via various crash sensors, (air bags go off etc.) all doors are unlocked automatically.