RNS-E Bluetooth Question

s-line stu

Reaction score
The RNS-E connects with the bluetooth on my phone and sometimes shows the contacts but sometimes says no entries so you have to manually dial rather than scroll though the list.

Has anyone else had this problem?

It also seems to hammer the battery life on the phone but I guess its constantly seeking for the bluetooth signal although in my old car I had a cheap bluetooth clip on visor phone kit and this didn't affect the battery life at all.

I have this problem on my HTC Kaiser (Windows Mobile 6.1) and my battery lasted <1 day with bluetooth on....

Nokia 6300 lasts 3-4 days with Bluetooth on and using it to connect to laptop and car... plus the directory works 100%... although I do have some DIS issues due to mine being a B6 gen1 DIS... but it's fine with the newer ones (been tested), hence the search!!

Get a Nokia 6300/6700 if you want a simple phone that just works... or an iPhopne - supposed to have v good bluetooth compatiblity with Audi OEM bluetooth.

Stu - was yours' a Windows Mobile 6.x phone?

If you're got the SDS-High hack (for voice control), you'll need to add the numbers into the Directory (rather than the phonebook) to add voicetags.... then you just hit the Speak button, and say "Telephone - Dial - *Wifey*" and then it says "Do you wish to dial mobile or land line", you say "mobile".... it says "dialing *wifey* mobile"..... all very surreal!!

Last edited:
Thanks Lostbok it's windows mobile 6.1. I noticed yesterday that you can set sim access via bluetooth on the phone but its made no difference.

Not sure what SDS-High hack is? But I do have voice control in the car and on the phone so will try what you said to say as if I just say 'home' it replies 'pardon' and after a couple of attempts gives up.

Last edited:
can't remember the full def, but basically SDS-high = voice control... it's an optional extra on the B7 with the MF steering wheel, but I think the closest

check Gareth's vids on youtube (HazzyDayz)

essentially, you can get the system to teach you how to save things like voice tags for navigation addresses, phone numbers and radio stations... jsut use the "help" command, e.g. say "help - telephone" and then when it says "do you want to hear more", just keep saying "yes".

If memory serves me: you set the person up by hitting the "name" button on the RNs-E and manually typing/twirling in all their details (address, landline number, mobile, etc).... (or if you've already saved their address, just add the phone number to an existing name!). Then, while you're in that screen with their name, phone, number, address, etc: hit the voice button and say "save name", it will prompt you to say the name, then it will prompt you to repeat it...

...here's the full manual!! (189 pages!!)

edit: doh! that doesn't have any voice tips - have a look at the vids on Hazzy Dayz, try the steps as mentioned above or just use the "help" command and wait for it to keep giving you more tips...

as mentioned before, you can also save names for radio stations :)

if you find a way of getting it to switch to MP3 when you switch back to "CD", please let me know and if you can work out a voice-controlled way to switch between "drive1" and "drive2", I'll buy you a pint at the next RR day in Bromsgrove!

Last edited:
For users of Windows mobile devices that are having trouble with the contacts being downloaded to the RNS-E BT, you need to use Jetware-mobile.

This application will force the contacts to teh BT unit, along with all the other missed calls etc.

http://www.jetwaremobile.com/

There is a 15 day trial, and then you have to buy the licence.

Cockney - is that just an app that runs on the Windows Mobile?

Does it push the contacts info into the RNS-E's Phonebook or into the Directory?

I want is some software that allows me to backup / edit the Directory via my laptop :)

Pretty sure that's not possible, even via a Rosstech / VagCom cable, is it?