Question for people with manual 2.5TDI Quattro Sports

sc00byd00byd00

Frank and Beans...............
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Since i've had my car, i've been convinced there is something wrong with the Quattro 4wd system, or the gearbox so i just wanted to ask you lot before I take it into Audi for a 2nd opinion.

Going from a 1.9TDI Sport, to a 2.5TDI Quattro Sport, I find the gear changes VERY different.

In the 1.9, it was almost like I could accelerate enthuisiastically, then chuck it into 2nd and keep accelerating.

In the 2.5, when I accelerate, even accelerating slowly, when putting it into 2nd and release the clutch, I have to nurse the clutch in (almost like i'm riding the clutch) otherwise there is a noticable clunk when it goes into gear.

Does anybosy else experience this or is it just me not adjusting to the 2.5 or might there be something wrong with my car ?

Cheers,

Scott

doesnt sound right to me,mine changes nice and smooth just like any other car should,hopefully something silly though

Mine is exactly the same going from 1st to 2nd you have to be abit more carefull than all the other gears and i have to slowly release the clutch pedal or i get a small clunk, at first i thought it was a fault but i then found out the previous owner had thought the same thing and had the gearbox, rear diff, propshaft replaced under warranty and it still made no diffrence! ive since had the clutch and flywheel changed and its still the same.

I think it's normal to be honest and im now used to it

I don't notice it in mine particulary. I would say that they have such a close ratio gearbox, combined with that big slug of torque it does make smooth gear changes quick difficult. It's quite a notchy, but precise gearchange too.

I'm tempted to say that its a general 'feature' as I have a similar experience sometimes when I get my gear changes out of synch with how I'm driving...and I drive the 3.0 petrol quattro! Its like the quattro system is slightly 'behind' the gearbox (in time) in what its trying to do

I agree about the short throw, low gearing nature of the thing.

I'm assuming here you have the 6 speed....and if you do then its worth remembering that the final ratio, ie sixth, is the same as the old fifth, on the old five speeders....and the inter gears are just more frequent...and therefore a bit lower ratio'd...and a bit in the way!

If Audi had built a 6 speed with a higher final ratio and higher ratio'd intermediate gears, then it might have been a bit better, but they didn't!