Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

I've gone all wonky

I've been a bit busy lately and might of overloaded my car a few times, I only noticed the other day when I had 3 people in the back that my rear wheels have started to rub. When I got home I noticed I had a bit of paint damage (which I'll get sorted) and I could see that the tyres had clearly been rubbing. The odd thing is one side is lower than the other
    I've just measured from the top of my wheels to the center of the arches, I have 11cm on both the fronts, 9cm from one of the rears and 7.5cm from the other?

Would this just be a case of replacing the springs? I can't seen any signs of leaking shocks.

It's a good excuse to buy coil overs but I can't afford them at the moment (unless anyone wants to get rid of theres on the cheap ). It's got sport suspension (which I believe has a 2cm drop from the standard) so I was thinking of getting a set of H&R springs, unless it's not a spring problem?

Cheers
    Carl

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Just finished washing mine and noticed the rear drivers side wheel is lower by about 2cm than the rear passanger side. Cant tell any difference when driving, only just noticed. Oh well, its in for a service soon anyway.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    They both sound like a spring problem to me unless your shocks are shot too?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    how would you know if the shocks are shot?

Could it be the bushes also?

1st Gear

Status
    I ordered a set of Eibach springs from DPM at the weekend, cheaper than buying replacement rear springs from Audi. Hopefully they turn up soon and I'll try to fit them before the weekend. If I still have a problem I replace the shocks (or save up for coil overs).

gadgesxi: the only way I know of testing the shocks is to take them off the car and see if you can push them in easily.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgesxi View Post
    how would you know if the shocks are shot?
    If they were bad enough that the car was sagging I think you would notice in the handling dept! A bounce test should give you an idea:

1. Check shock absorbers and struts
      The simplest form of suspension test is known as a bounce test. Lean heavily on the fender or place your weight on a bumper. Release it suddenly and watch what happens. If the vehicle rebounds continually, you need to replace the shock absorbers. If the shock absorbers are performing well, the car will rebound once only, and then slowly return to its original position. While driving, the same test can be performed by stopping the vehicle suddenly from a very low speed. If the car bounces up and down a couple of times when coming to rest, you need to replace the shock absorbers.
    2. Visually inspect shock absorbers
      Visually inspect the shock absorber mounting points for security and corrosion and note any wet looking patches on the sides of the shock absorbers. This is a common indicator that the strut or shock absorber needs replacing because of a fluid leak.
    3. Check strut upper mounting
      Pay particular attention to the top strut mounting during the bounce test. Place your hand on top of the mounting during the bounce test. Any noise or movement in the mounting could indicate the need to replace the component. If you do feel movement, hear noise or see signs of leakage, report it to your supervisor.
    Good luck with your supervisor.......... lol
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Status
    It's the springs that set the ride hight not the shocks.
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

1st Gear

Status
    I'll do a bounce test, but i think its a false alarm as on level ground the car looks ok. Must be my gravel drive! big high and low spots!

1st Gear

Status
    I'm thinking it's the springs. I've already tried a hefty shake whilst grabbing the roof bars and it's seems solid, when I let go the car straightens up, if it was the shocks I'm assuming it would bounce around like a fat kid on a bounce castle.

1st Gear

Status
    Well thanks to DannyFR's pictures I've now changed my order, I'll be joining the coilover club!

Now I just need to dig out my old guitar from the loft and start busking around Reading. be afraid, there's a good reason why it's in the loft and why you haven't seen my on xfactor.