sport spec questions

mystic.bertie

Reaction score
hi guys im considering going for an a4 tdi saloon sport, i have done some searching but i cant find what i need to know.

i am interested in what the sport model inculdes in its spec, from the picstures i have seen it looks like some cars have sport bumpers front and rear aand some sport dont, some have leather and some dont, some have rear spoiler and some dont.

what was the spec of the sport model, i would love leather seats however are the standard sport seats any good, they look a bit bland.

i quite fancy a 2.5tdi can anyone tell me the mpg you can expect on motorway cruising as i travel 35 miles to work and its 90% motorway.

also do the rear seats fold down ?

cheers :salute:

The principle difference between Sport and SE is:

1. 20mm lower suspension on Sport.
2. 3 Spoke steering wheel on Sport.
3. 17" "Star" wheels on Sport (usually)
4. Full DIS on SE (unless retro fitted)
5. Sport seats on Sport.

There are I'm sure other trim differences, but these are the principal ones. You can get half leather or full leater trims, not 100% but I think full leather is an option so it's luck of the draw.

Sport and SE look the same externally IIRC - exc wheels and suspension as mentioned.

I think folding seats was an option on the saloon going from what I have read but don't take my word on that.

Sensible motorway cruising should see 38-40mpg depending on the size of your boot!

The principle difference between Sport and SE is:

1. 20mm lower suspension on Sport.
2. 3 Spoke steering wheel on Sport.
3. 17" "Star" wheels on Sport (usually)
4. Full DIS on SE (unless retro fitted)
5. Sport seats on Sport.

There are I'm sure other trim differences, but these are the principal ones. You can get half leather or full leater trims, not 100% but I think full leather is an option so it's luck of the draw.

Sport and SE look the same externally IIRC - exc wheels and suspension as mentioned.

I think folding seats was an option on the saloon going from what I have read but don't take my word on that.

Sensible motorway cruising should see 38-40mpg depending on the size of your boot!

thanks for that reply james, so any sports i see with chunky bumpers or boot lip spoilers are not standard ?

what got my juiced going was this red one close to me in auto trader, i dont know how good the price is but i love the look of this one as it is and i would not need to spend money on wheels etc :)

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2001&vehicleRegLetter=51

Looks a nice looking well specced car, that has the Votex bodykit on it, hence the deeper bumpers skirts and rear lip spoiler.

The 220hp Superchip is worth enquiring about though.

Looks a nice looking well specced car, that has the Votex bodykit on it, hence the deeper bumpers skirts and rear lip spoiler.

The 220hp Superchip is worth enquiring about though.

how do you mean worth enquiring about, is that something questionable ?

are these votex body kits an expensive item to fit, i love the red car it looks stunning but i have no idea what that one is worth cause many tdi sports are the 130's and 2wd, as much as i would love the economy of the 1.9tdi im unsure if the 130bhp would keep me happy for long, i want the car to last me so trying to get econonmy, sporty and excitement :blink:

how do you mean worth enquiring about, is that something questionable ?

are these votex body kits an expensive item to fit, i love the red car it looks stunning but i have no idea what that one is worth cause many tdi sports are the 130's and 2wd, as much as i would love the economy of the 1.9tdi im unsure if the 130bhp would keep me happy for long, i want the car to last me so trying to get econonmy, sporty and excitement :blink:

"Most" remaps etc you see quote 210bhp for this engine, 220 is quite an unusual figure. Whether or not you buy a chipped car is a matter for you, I just meant you would want to see proof of the chip and any warranty, and also proof of the 210bhp.

The Votex is a bit of a love it or hate thing really, but the bumpers make good money when they come up, as does the grilles within them. A retrofitted and colour coded one would cost in the region of £2k at a guess... ? Its a valuable extra definitely ;)

The 1.9's can be easily mapped to 170ish and is a very popular engine, i wouldn't expect the 2.5 to sell for much more (if any) as it's not a cheap to run car.

I'd defintely agree with James on seats, suspension and steering wheel... also I'm pretty sure that "Quattro Sport" spec also includes a rear limited slip differential or something slightly different on the differential...

Mine's also a 2001 and definitely a Sport spec (as verified on the V5C and by taking the VIN into the Audi dealership)... but full DIS was retro-fitted and mine only came with 16" alloys... although I guess the alloys could have been downgraded and traded in elsewhere as the previous owner had a couple of A4's and was an Audi mechanic...

The boot lip and chunky bumpers are (as mentioned by James) Votex: the ABT and Votex kit are aftermarket, I believe both could be fitted as an optional extra by Audi dealers at one stage... only concern would be what that you need to see what looks like around the back - Votex have a tendancy to do significantly less attractive "chicken-wire" rear's, and look especially naff on diesels!

Also - make sure (on the V5C) that is is DEFINTELY a Sport, not just an S / SE with bodykit...

The later S-Line kits (2003 onwards) are also pretty similar looking... S-Line should mean all the "Sport" extra and a decent body kit... but watch out for the odd S or SE with a S-Line kit!!

Here's mine with a retro-fitted S-Line kit:

S-Line bodykits for front, rear and boot lip are around £800 for the parts, around £1500 inc colour coding and fitting... another £260 + colour coding and fitting if you want the S-Line door blades. £1900 all-in.

Votex will be fairly similar.... maybe a bit cheaper for the front as there's just a skin and you don't have to replace the top bumper (£300 extra by itself!)... so probably £1000-£1200 territory...

And here's the S4 wheels that mine will have soon!

That car looks like a great spec (Bose, Bluetooth, etc are all very nice and pretty expensive options)... Xenon's are the only awkward one that's missing and they're a b!tch to retro-fit to be 100% legal as they're supposed have auto-leveling and washers.... <£100 if you don't mind not being 100% "compliant"...

At 75mph on the motorway on cruise control (slightly less efficient than if you do it manually on your right foot), with four-up, 38-40 mpg sounds spot on...

"220bhp superchip" sounds like a blind remap, would be worth checking that on a rolling road... or making sure that he has... and also get it on the motorway.... make sure that K&N isn't boomy / have any drone (less of an issue if it's just a panel-filter change and not an induction cone).

Last edited:
Sports Spec differs which I found out.
My old red one was sport and came with the 3spoke steering wheel etc but had Rear electrics,center arm rest,Sunroof and Full DIS...oh and 16" alloys - which led me to believe that these were extra's because my Blue one is also a sport but NO rear electrics,No sunroof,Standard DIS and came with 17" star alloys (which I know because I still have the mint spare)

So I dont know whether there was a diferent basic spec set up between the 2001 & 2002 models - For example, my 2001 had 16" alloys, my 2002 had 17" alloys.

The stealers just had too much range of optional extras if you ask me. Majority of them should have surely came standard in the SE's and Sports. Like Folding Rear seats ***. Next it'll be the Drivers seats have to be an optional extra...:tapedshut:

From 2003 onwards the "Sports" spec. was as follows according to an old Audi A4 spec. booklet I have dated "July 2003"......

1.6/2.0/2.0FSI/1.8T/1.9TDI(100&130)/1.8T-Q
- 7J x 17 "five spoke star alloys
- Quattro GmbH Body Styling kit*
- Concert Radio (single DIN with single CD slot)
- Sports front seats with electric lumbar adjustment
- Sports Suspension
- Sports Leather Steering Wheel
- Leather Gear Knob and Gaitor
- Rear Electric Windows
- Heated door mirrors and washer jets
- Body coloured bumpers and door sills

Based on 2.4 / 3.0-Q /2.5TDI /1.9TDI-Q / 2.5TDI-Q / S4-Q
- as for models above
- Aluminium trim strips framing the exterior of the side windows

*Mine is a 3.0-Q 2001 model and pre-GmBH body kit - all of the lower skirt parts (front/back/side) were a dark grey plastic finish. However, I've added the front & rear bumpers retrospectively and colour coded the original sides! Just need to add the door flares at some point - probably S4 door blades.

I have pictures of my original 2001 model look, along with the GmBH body kit look I've completed recently - Linked Here.

See the July 2003 spec for yourself - I've just scanned the spec. relevant pages and made them available for download on my web space. You can view the pdf here.

We now just have a bit of a "spec. void" from the models introduction in 2001 up to July 2003.

The GmBH body kit was the major difference as I was going for a 2003 1.8T(190) Sport myself from new but found my current 3.0Q Sport at Fontain back in July 2003, which then was just under 2 years old! It had a reasonable amount of factory fit extra's at that time and more standard power + Quattro, over what I was going to buy new and just over a years factory warranty.

See the July 2003 spec for yourself - I've just scanned the spec. relevant pages and made them available for download on my web space. You can view the pdf here.

Thats a good link!

I have the sales brochure from the time, which has lots of pretty pictures but not a lot of information. Do you know where I could get a copy of that document from?

.......I have the sales brochure from the time, which has lots of pretty pictures but not a lot of information. Do you know where I could get a copy of that document from?

Have colour scanned the complete original "A4 Saloon and Avant Price List - Effective July 2003" and can be viewed Linked Here.
:readit:

Good PDF that...Will one day when I have nothing to do I will work out how much my car was when it was new :)