ECU Problem

ronny

Audi A4 1.8TQ
Reaction score
Website
www.ronny.ws
Hi guys, not been on for a while but need some of your expert advice :)

I have a 2001 B6 1.8Tq that has had fan problems recently, after pulling the codes it was decided it was a faulty temp sender as my fan sounded like an airplane as soon as you started the car. Now the car was booked into my local garage <independant> and it's having MOT service etc at the same time <in 1 weeks time>. The car was perfectly drivable etc so I just carried on as normal.

On Moday I went back to my car and noticed the fan was on and would not turn off even though keys out of ignition etc, I put my keys in ig and started car and fan stopped, anyway when i went back to my car 2 hrs later the battery was flat as the fan had been running constantly, it starts 10 mins after you leave the car lol wierd i know :)

So I had it jumped started and drove home, over 100 miles all ok, so I thought just pull the fuse for the fan when I stop the car and all will be ok till it goes in the garage next week, but the normal fuse 15amp to stop the fan does not stop fan, instead the small 5amp fuse labeled Brake Server is the only fuse that will stop the fan in its tracks.

So Tuesday I went to drive my car and it will not start, just keeps turning over, put fuse back in and car started perfect, then got home tried to start next morning will not start, removed battery lead and restarted car all ok, now it will not restart for love nor money. The garage came out and pulled the codes, said P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum error. and this is where I am today lol

Adviced needed is, will the ECU be knackered now or is there a way to perhaps reset the ECU, rather than buying a ECU can i get my old one reprogrammed by sending it away to a chip tuner? or maybe somoene can just reflash it?

Any help appreciated. Thx

Just had the Mechanic out who done a full diagnosis, anyway after opening up the ECU box to check the ECU we discovered a nice swimming pool inside lol, both relays inside were rusted out and fully submerged, why oh why did audi not put a small drain hole in the ECU cover box, this would never have happened then.

Looks like someone before me has undone the Torx screws and couldn't be assed to remove the wiper hosuing so just ripped the cover off, the water leaked through there over the last 5 years causing this problem. I would advise people who have had there cars chipped etc to make sure the fitter didn't bodge it and properly undone all the securing screws and refitted them, must of been all this wet weather we have just had :(

The good thing if there is such a thing is the ECU looks ok, he checked it out and thinks it may be ok, just the relays which are 20 quid each from VW.

If the ecu turns out to be faulty you can get it repaired :) i've used this company before http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx but there are others.

Cheers, the auto electrition who came out said it should cost approx 150 quid to repair mine, he has already read the immobilisor codes so he can re-programme it if it needs to go off.

thanks for the help though :)

Cheers, the auto electrition who came out said it should cost approx 150 quid to repair mine, he has already read the immobilisor codes so he can re-programme it if it needs to go off.

thanks for the help though :)

Just been on holiday for 10 days to spain so car been in the shop since then, anyway to cut a long story short the problem was just the relays 25 quid each, ECU is perfect and as it's at the top of the box it was not submursed in water :)

If anyone needs to know, the price of a new 1.8T ECU lid is 14 quid from Audi and the price of a new light bulb holder for the number plate light is 6 quid, just for your info :)

Time to do the Lotto!!
Great result to what could have been disaster.
Good skills from the electrician too:yahoo:

Hi guys, not been on for a while but need some of your expert advice :)

I have a 2001 B6 1.8Tq that has had fan problems recently, after pulling the codes it was decided it was a faulty temp sender as my fan sounded like an airplane as soon as you started the car. Now the car was booked into my local garage <independant> and it's having MOT service etc at the same time <in 1 weeks time>. The car was perfectly drivable etc so I just carried on as normal.

On Moday I went back to my car and noticed the fan was on and would not turn off even though keys out of ignition etc, I put my keys in ig and started car and fan stopped, anyway when i went back to my car 2 hrs later the battery was flat as the fan had been running constantly, it starts 10 mins after you leave the car lol wierd i know :)

So I had it jumped started and drove home, over 100 miles all ok, so I thought just pull the fuse for the fan when I stop the car and all will be ok till it goes in the garage next week, but the normal fuse 15amp to stop the fan does not stop fan, instead the small 5amp fuse labeled Brake Server is the only fuse that will stop the fan in its tracks.

So Tuesday I went to drive my car and it will not start, just keeps turning over, put fuse back in and car started perfect, then got home tried to start next morning will not start, removed battery lead and restarted car all ok, now it will not restart for love nor money. The garage came out and pulled the codes, said P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum error. and this is where I am today lol

Adviced needed is, will the ECU be knackered now or is there a way to perhaps reset the ECU, rather than buying a ECU can i get my old one reprogrammed by sending it away to a chip tuner? or maybe somoene can just reflash it?

Any help appreciated. Thx

The inside of the ECU box must be examined visually for accumlation of water inside. This is the most common cause of erratic fan operation with the ignition key OFF. The cause of the fan running is from water shorting the fan relay and other electical parts depending on how deep the water gets inside the box. Don't forget to find the cause of the water leak and fix that too. The ECU itself, is high enough in the box to stay dry.