Wheel Refurbs

stoakseya4

Reaction score
Ok, so a couple of the new wheels have some minor scuffs around the rim, nothing serious - no paint lacquer peeling or bubbling. Largest one is probably less than an inch long. Annoying rather too unsightly.

Anyway, was looking about last night and came across some mobile 'refurbers', that can do a wheel for c£40 a corner, which is fine. But some of them are offering wheel painting services too?

They break the bead on the tyre to pull it away from the rim edge, shrink wrap the tyre, (after the wheels cleaned I should point out) and spray the wheel inside their van, and cure it using the latest UV curing methods (?). And only £15 per wheel!

Turns out it's not all of the wheel, i.e. inside the rim and obviously not under the tyre, but thought what a jolly good way of someone trying out a new colour on their wheel without breaking the bank.

Anyone heard of this before?

Personally, I'd rather have the tyre taken off, and the wheel/paint baked in an oven, but how bad could it be?

Ive just had my bentleys refurbed and there is no way on this earth id let anyone break the seal without taking the full tyre off even if it is safe to do. personally wouldnt risk it mate

Absolutely agree. Was just interested in what's being offered...

Found a 'proper' refurber relatively locally @ £60/wheel including removing tyre/painting any colour/re-fitting tyre with a balance...

I did my own wheels last year, it took me age with work/family commitments and waiting for sunny days - but they did come up mint.

I would have two reservations about doing it again, firstly the hardness of the lacquer without baking it, and secondly, it did take ages!

For £60 a wheel I wouldn't do it myself again.

Ive just had my bentleys refurbed and there is no way on this earth id let anyone break the seal without taking the full tyre off even if it is safe to do. personally wouldnt risk it mate
Theres absolutely no issues with breaking one side of the tyre from the bead and doing what there doing ,
they dont have to rebalance or drag the tyre back over the fresh paint theres always a chance of mistakes with refitting tyres and for that sort of money its cheap
have you seen any of there work and paint finishes thou ?

Theres absolutely no issues with breaking one side of the tyre from the bead and doing what there doing ,
they dont have to rebalance or drag the tyre back over the fresh paint theres always a chance of mistakes with refitting tyres and for that sort of money its cheap

Only seen images on their website, none in the flesh.
Must be ok as there would be known issues with unhappy customers and they'd go out of business, surely...

:box:

I would give them a go then its not a lot of money for a face repaint .

Wasnt saying dont try it, just personally i wouldnt do it myself but thats probably because ive just done mine with no tyres the long drawn out way. Sounds good if you can break the bead without any worries

but how bad could it be?

BAD.

I've seen a lot of these 'man in a van' aerosol lash ups and they might look ok on a used car lot but in a couple of months you'd wish you hadn't bothered.

Stoaksey, just give Spit and Polish a call and get your wheels done by one of the best in the business :thumbsup:

It's the least the RS4 deserves :kissmyrings:

:greyrs4:

BAD.

I've seen a lot of these 'man in a van' aerosol lash ups and they might look ok on a used car lot but in a couple of months you'd wish you hadn't bothered.

Stoaksey, just give Spit and Polish a call and get your wheels done by one of the best in the business :thumbsup:

It's the least the RS4 deserves :kissmyrings:

:greyrs4:

Spoke to them yesterday as it turns out (and Lepson's in Kent too). They quoted £53+VAT or £68+VAT depending on whether they're polished or not per wheel.

Deliver the wheel(s) with tyre(s)
Choose your colour (if they're to be painted a different colour - price included)
They remove the tyre(s) polish the wheels
Paint
Put the tyre(s) back on and then re-balance the wheel(s)

They do want up to 5 days turnaround though...

Having had time to look at mine now I'm not sure whether to do them - alot of expense for not alot of damage.
Am getting some spacers - probably 15mm rears and 10mm front and maybe a re-sprayed bonnet, which may be it for a while. It's booked into QST (MTM Tuner - Kim Collins) in a fortnight for a healthcheck and may even get a re-map when I'm there (420bhp :jump:) but having a debate with myself at the moment on whether to keep it OEM or not...

The car's currently worth £2-3k more than I paid for it, so in another year...? A good stepping stone for an RS6...:o.k: