Brake Disc Rust

stoakseya4

Reaction score
I may have found some GMBH (drilled) discs, cheap, but they have some light surface rust.

How do you remove rust from the discs without damaging them?

Cheers awfully...

:greyrs4:

Send them to me in the boot of your car, I will return them a week later fitted and all shiney. And probably glowing :)

Send them to me in the boot of your car, I will return them a week later fitted and all shiney. And probably glowing :)

And thinner...

stoakseya4 I don't think you should worry about the rust as long as it is only at the surface. It will come off after you break a few times.

Agreed, the surface rust is normal and will come off with a few brake applications. Look out for any pitting or deeper rust, this would be more of a problem. If it looks like brown dust on the surface your fine!

If you really want to clean the rust before fitting them I think you can use a high granulation sand paper and gently rub it off. I do not advise on using any sort of chemicals, derusting sprays or such because they may leave a thin film on the surface that will affect breaking performances. You may end up in a ditch or rear-end someone.

I would use a fine wet and dry paper with water, 800 or 1200 to clean the parts the brake pads don't touch :)

How about a green or burgundy Scotch Brite pad or even a saucepan scourer.