Checks ?

RyanA4

Reaction score
Hi folks, first proper post in this forum im usually over at the Fiat Coupe forum but im picking up my Avant tomorrow so ill be on here too from time to time :)
When new Fiat Coupe owners join the welcome is quite often "Hello........... and check your oil !! " as the car has been known to guzzle it at times:yum: So what should I be checking on the A4, is there anything that I need to look out for that is specific to that model ?
Its an Avant SE TDi 130 on a 54 plate with FASH, timing belt done last service.

Any tips or recommendations appreciated !

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi welcome ,
and just general checks as you would any car
in my experiance the worst thing about b6 models _ and on is the interior coatings are not as durable as you would hope ,
other companys also use these coatings and are no better its not just the V.A.G. group
Happy hunting .:beerchug:

Oh aye THE coating, its on the fiat's centre console too, you so much as look at it and it falls off ! :(, people have experimented removing it completely with various chemicals, I think the best being good old turpentine or meths and elbow grease !

Cheers,

Ryan

weird... my last three cars.... avg age >10yrs.... total oil added (excluding oil changes).... <1/2 pint... and even that was just me being VERY cautious....

14yr old BMW E30
11yr old Mk3 Golf
7yr old Audi A4

Not an Italian in the bunch!

Or you could get a Rotary engine where you'll need an oil "tank" the same size as the fuel tank.... and that needs to be pretty big too!

Last edited:
Not weird really, just different engines have different characteristics. It was perfectly "normal" for it to use up to a litre per 1000 miles, some though used hardly any. If decat on standard turbo then the seals would eventually give in and oil consumption would get worse !
Ive also owned a Mk2 golf that used no oil at all between changes but have a friend who's Mk5 absolutely drank it, so go figure ? :uhm:

Ryan

Hi Ryan

As well as the timing belt I would check that the idler pulley and tensioner pulley were both replaced, I know to my own cost that the failure of these can be as catastrophic as the belt failing :(

It wouldn't stop me buying the car if it hadn't but would give you some leverage on the price.

I can't really think of anything else specific really, slow wipers are a pain but not really expensive - thats about if off the top of my head!

Let us know how you get on ;)

Also when the timing belt was changed did the water pump get chaged? as it a Know to fail, and may want it done at the same time if you are going to change the pulleys

Good point about the ancillaries, I'll check the documentation etc but the truth be told I now own the car and am enjoying it so far :drool:.
I'll look to see if the tensioner and pump look new,

Cheers guys .:)

I doubt you will tell by looking as any of the components will look grubby after a few thousand miles. I would check the history and see what it says, if the water pump goes it wont wreck the engine like if the belt pulleys go - I am probably paranoid about this now though, so I'm sure you will be fine :thumbsup:

EDIT: BTW - :sign_pics: It's the law :angrymod:

I'll get some pics up in the relevent section once it stops ****** raining !! :banghead:

Cheers,

Ryan