Weekend DIY (Water Pump and Hybrid Sroll K04)

docurley

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
hometown.aol.co.uk
Well 3 weeks ago my water pump went but I had no time to sort it out due to going on holiday for 2 weeks. So this weekend was D-day and my first ever attempt to replace the water pump and for those who don’t know doing a water pump is like doing a Cam belt and if you get it wrong bang goes your engine.

So step one was to find a write up on how to do it and Audizine covered that so all I needed was a pump and this was sourced from Euro Car Parts and a metal impeller one at that all for £18.

Due to it being my first time of doing this and the fact I would be doing on the drive way I aloud 2 days and that was because I was also going to install my Hybrid Scroll K04 Outlaw which is a higher spec K04-23 but based on the K04-15 as a donor.

Well all went well and I can say I would have no issues doing it again and all is well and my engine is still intact and now boosting to 15psi on a stock 190bhp map

Old and new pump

waterpump2.jpg

waterpump.jpg

Last edited:
well done mate, that's good to hear it all worked out well! must have saved yourself quite a bit of money as well doing it yourself!!! would love to do stuff like that, but lol wudnt trust myself. was it difficult?

Nice work :) I had heard bad things about the plastic impellers but thats the first one I have ever seen disintegrated, not good!

Did you fit new timing gear too while you were doing it?

job work quite easy due to having a step by step guide and I only did it because of the cost other wise I would have had the shop do it.

The belt was only changed last year so I put it all back on again.

Like the sound of the K04 Doc - What sort of Power we looking at?? surely touching 250 - 260bhp?? with all the added goodies!

My Scroll outlaw on an old AEB b5 is 250 bhp and 275 lbs ft. The B6 ecu is sooooo much more tunable so i hope Dave is going to get more from this than i managed to with my tuner.Also the Injectors are larger on the B6 and he has 2 side FMICs so a FMIC wouldn't be much of a gain

I'm hopping for around 265-270bhp with the sport CAT and the Milltek exhaust.

I need to find out what size injectors are on the BEX engine and what size the MAF is before I get it mapped.

Byzan, have you had any luck finding a better tuner and if so how much also I have finally worked out what these turbo's sound like when they are spooling up........ It the sound of my old G2 supercharger on the 2.8 I once owned after I had fitted a CDA/BMC on her.

Sounds like I was at Heathrow for a minute! (must turn my bass down first).

265bhp - 270bhp sounds Good.

Mine still has a standard single intercooler but just need to fit my front mounted.
Gotta say though, mine aint even map'd from what I can work out but just having the Milltek Sports CAT & full cat back - it ****** shifts. Pulls right through revs and keeps pulling...Defo a new clutch soon aswell...:ermm:

Feels faster than my Red one and that was map'd!

I wouldnt mind looking into the K04 again but everytime I get closer, something else pops up!....like new clutch.

JCB might be selling my Southbend Stage III with 20k on it soon which might be up your street if you PM him as he will be putting in a tuned engine with a higher stage Clutch so the stage III will work great.

By the way when you going to change that Sig, its been months now?

Yeah Ill look into that, cheers!
Is it for a B6 though and not the B5 or they both compatible?

haha - the sig will be changed once my bits are fitted straight out the Spray shop. My cuz is on his hols at the min so its been delayed around 3 weeks. Its doing my head in, sick of hold-ups!

B5 and B6 will fit the same and southbend list them as the same partnumber even for the 6 speed I will be adding a New SB Stage IV because I got a good deal but if you want he can do great deals on new ones if you prefer just let him know I sent you, not that it will save you any money LOL.

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/

haha, yeah just been in touch with him, just looking through the options then going to let him know. Defo got to get one though as the bite in mine is at the very top almost!

Well all the zine lot live and die by SB so I dont think you can go wrong and Byzan is also running a Stage III in his Outlaw K04 after his other stage III clutch gave up the gost in no time at all.

Last edited:
Doc, i tried to record mine for comparison today, and my phone just isn't good enough to pick the sound out without the exhaust sound intruding