Front wipers

peter02

Reaction score
Hi, my front wipers have slowed right down to a snails pace even when placed on fastest setting - is this because the motors are on there way out ? I am trading it in in 6 weeks, do you think I would get away with it with the British weather !! Can any one advise of an approximate cost ?

It's a very common problem, the mechanism begins to seize up. You need to strip it out and dismantle it and lube it all and replace, a spray of WD may help in the mean time.

There is a picture guide for the B5 HERE which will give you some ideas, apparently a new mechanism isn't that expensive either.

Thanks mate, might try the WD short term and see how that pans out, hopefully with the heat wave it may last !!

How strange. Just logged on to ask the exact same question as mine have just done the same thing. Assumed it was the motor. Tried WD40, which helped a little but now they've all but died. Hot weather probably isn't helping.

Any ideas on expected cost at a garage to fix?

Cheers.

Mike

Hi this happened to mine a few months back, I had a go managed to remove the wipers, then the cover but could I get the mech out to strip it down so gave it the local garage and they charged me £50, they work like new now.
Ian

I had noticed that my cars wipers were starting to slow down just after I had washed my car a couple of times then they would go alright until the next wash, my car wasn't moved for about 8 weeks after I broke my arm and the wipers were solid so I sprayed them with WD40 which worked for a couple of weeks then they just gave up, so today I bit the bullet and went to Dundee Audi to order the linkage, to my surprise they had it in stock and only cost £62.05 (another surprise). I checked the picture guide which quattrojames gave a link to and replaced the linkage tonight in under 2 hours. It's good to know I can jump into my car and if it rain the wipers will keep working.

Had mine in the garage today. Apparently the linkage had seized and had they had to strip it down and replace it. Cost me £190!! :(

To top it off, the exhaust on the other car (Golf) started blowing on the way home form work to collect the A4 ... so that'll be another expensive fix next week!

Cars eh ... who'd have 'em! ;)