Chris NottJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    sc00byd00byd00's Avatar
    Frank and Beans...............

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlewich, Cheshire
    Posts
    232

    Does my SAT NAV need upgrading ?



    Does it have the latest firmware ???

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    No, 650 is latest so would be good to update, what years discs do you have as I have a set of 08 genuine cased dvd's for east & west europe, this will update your unit to 650 straight away.

    You can get firmware alone but not sure if with yours being 550 if the year dvd's you have will work with 650, I'd have to check.

    But of course 08 would have much newer maps, roads, POI etc etc

    Also it would add TMC functionality aswell with the dvd's.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  4. #3
    SmoothAssault's Avatar
    Will design for mods

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    790
    Words cannot describe how much I want that DVD/sat-nav setup in my car.


    FOR SALE: Eibach Sportline Springs from B5 A4. £50 - PM for details.

  5. #4
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothAssault View Post
    Words cannot describe how much I want that DVD/sat-nav setup in my car.

    Good enough 1st attempt, lol

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  6. #5
    SmoothAssault's Avatar
    Will design for mods

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    790
    The drool face is a very powerful conveyor of emotion, lol

    FOR SALE: Eibach Sportline Springs from B5 A4. £50 - PM for details.

  7. #6
    sc00byd00byd00's Avatar
    Frank and Beans...............

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlewich, Cheshire
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    No, 650 is latest so would be good to update, what years discs do you have as I have a set of 08 genuine cased dvd's for east & west europe, this will update your unit to 650 straight away.

    You can get firmware alone but not sure if with yours being 550 if the year dvd's you have will work with 650, I'd have to check.

    But of course 08 would have much newer maps, roads, POI etc etc

    Also it would add TMC functionality aswell with the dvd's.
    Only have one disc that came with the car, will check tomorrow night which it is.

    So if I update to 650, whats the latest maps I can get ? (And how much) and from where ?

    And whats TMC ???

  8. #7
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    08/09, 09 will cost more, I have a set of both east/west europe 08 dvd's for sale, PM if interested & TMC is a traffic messaging system, advises you of road issues.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  9. #8
    sc00byd00byd00's Avatar
    Frank and Beans...............

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlewich, Cheshire
    Posts
    232
    On the subject of Sat Nav, I have 2 SD Card slots behind the Nav Screen that apparently plays MP3's

    Anybody know what size these slots support upto ? And / Or if its only SD support or if it supports SDHC too ?

  10. #9
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,155
    0550 supports TMC already. I guess your current map is 2007? There isnt much difference at all to the 09 maps.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

  11. #10
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Search button would help you with this as there's been untold threads on this subject, but just for you:

    supports only SD cards not SDHC, you can get away with 4GB cards even though its restricted to between 400-512 files so do you really need 4GB at all as 2GB can handle that many files, your choice.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  12. #11
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by sc00byd00byd00 View Post
    On the subject of Sat Nav, I have 2 SD Card slots behind the Nav Screen that apparently plays MP3's

    Anybody know what size these slots support upto ? And / Or if its only SD support or if it supports SDHC too ?
    SD only. Audi quote 512MB as the max but mine worked just fine with 4GB SD cards. However there is a max file limit per card of 512 per card, so sadly you cant fill each card. The RNS-E will only read the first 512 files it finds.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

  13. #12
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Issac Hunt View Post
    0550 supports TMC already. I guess your current map is 2007? There isnt much difference at all to the 09 maps.
    Based on the image he supplied then it would indicate he doesnt have TMC capability in that state as the DVD enables this aswell.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  14. #13
    sc00byd00byd00's Avatar
    Frank and Beans...............

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlewich, Cheshire
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Based on the image he supplied then it would indicate he doesnt have TMC capability in that state as the DVD enables this aswell.
    I clicked on the "info" button whilst trying to familiarise myself with it the other night and it looks like the traffic thing has worked in the past ???

  15. #14
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Well thats cool, was that image with ignition on or off mate cause TMC should go solid if its working cause removing dvd turns of as I just tested for you, this is why I question Isaac's comments even though he may very well be correct, but strange as dvd is in so should be on.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  16. #15
    sc00byd00byd00's Avatar
    Frank and Beans...............

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlewich, Cheshire
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Well thats cool, was that image with ignition on or off mate cause TMC should go solid if its working cause removing dvd turns of as I just tested for you, this is why I question Isaac's comments even though he may very well be correct, but strange as dvd is in so should be on.
    I think ignition was off.

    Bizzare thing though was I was trying to work out how to erase the recent destinations list, and and the traffic announcments. They all seemed to be around where the previous opwner used to live, no recent ones local to me

  17. #16
    Woorlord's Avatar
    shifting to Hyperspace... .

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tiptree, Essex
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Based on the image he supplied then it would indicate he doesnt have TMC capability in that state as the DVD enables this aswell.
    [TMC] takes a while to lock in and read the data off the FM tuner.
    Sometimes it will be there straight away other times a delay - even during driving this can change on-off-on depending where you are.
    This is my experience with the 2007 and 2009 DVD.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

  18. #17
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Scooby turn on ignition & see if TMC goes solid, wait for couple minutes aswell incase, mine takes about 30 secs to 1 min to show up on 09, I assume its a genuine dvd & what year is it, printed on DVD

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  19. #18
    BahnStormer77's Avatar
    BahnStormer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,591
    sc00by - the previous owner may have swapped DVD's back (i.e. bought the 2009 version for himself earlier this year and then when he sold the car, pulled that out to sell it and simply sold the car on with the older satnav DVD).
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

  20. #19
    sc00byd00byd00's Avatar
    Frank and Beans...............

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlewich, Cheshire
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by lostbok View Post
    sc00by - the previous owner may have swapped DVD's back (i.e. bought the 2009 version for himself earlier this year and then when he sold the car, pulled that out to sell it and simply sold the car on with the older satnav DVD).
    Just found out that the TMC is enabled and that i only have the 2007 DVD in my car

    Looking into it a little bit more, whats the difference between the RNS-e and the MMI ?

    I notice that mine boots up saying MMI but looking at some DVD's on e-bay, apparently they are RNS-e compatible but not MMI ?

    I was sure that mine wes RNS-e ?? Thats what the manual says that came with the car.

  21. #20
    BahnStormer77's Avatar
    BahnStormer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,591
    MMI is just what they have on the splash screen.... some people have "RS4", etc.... it's 99% that it's the RNS-E with the usual MMI splash screen (mine has the same).
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

  22. #21
    sc00byd00byd00's Avatar
    Frank and Beans...............

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlewich, Cheshire
    Posts
    232
    Hey all.

    Managed to get a 2009 DVD off ebay, a genuine ono too and the guy even took my 2007 DVD in as part ex ;-)


    Another question though, does anybody know the supporting folder structure of the MP3's on the SD cards ?

    I've fitted x2 2gb SD cards and both are filled with several albums etc......

    Trouble is, the RNS-e will only ready about the 1st 5 folders to display on-screen, after that, its a case of scrolling down to the last track of the last available album, selecting it and then clicking on the "next track" button ??



  23. #22
    BahnStormer77's Avatar
    BahnStormer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,591
    okay - lots of fiddling around to get to grips with getting the files just "right" for RNS-E....

    top tip: use M3u files and locate them in the root of the SD card - as this sppeds things up massively!

    And one of the guys on the forum wrote RNS-E file manager!! (which was stopped in BETA stage, but is still very usable - once you've rememebr what crashses it!)

    Here's something from "BenW123":
    "It is still available for download, although I haven't updated it in around 2 years! Go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/rnse-mp3-mgr/. It works on all Windows variants except Vista. Unfortunately I lost interest in the project, despite trying to drum up interest and feedback from other users. I might get back to it one day because there was loads more I wanted to do.

    ...The folder and filenames mustn't exceed 64 characters if memory serves, and the application handles this for you.
    "

    There are a few features in the application that cause it to crash and it's not very good at saving where you were.... but I find that dragging and dropping folders onto the applications and then sending the files to the SD card will check the file names and create an M3U playlist file in the root... then you can manually delete the folder entry out of the app and repeat.

    Application only checks for disk space on the SD card and does NOT check for the limit on the number of "units".... it seems that the RNS-E will only read the first 400 entries out of the FAT table and mp3 files, m3u files AND FOLDERS all add to this tally...

    Also, you can use 4Gb SD cards (note NOT 4Gb SDHC cards!!) - about 7 from picstop.co.uk... you still have the 400 (approx) unit limit, so it jsut menas you can have the same number of songs, but at 320kbps :D
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

  24. #23
    sc00byd00byd00's Avatar
    Frank and Beans...............

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Middlewich, Cheshire
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by lostbok View Post
    okay - lots of fiddling around to get to grips with getting the files just "right" for RNS-E....

    top tip: use M3u files and locate them in the root of the SD card - as this sppeds things up massively!

    And one of the guys on the forum wrote RNS-E file manager!! (which was stopped in BETA stage, but is still very usable - once you've rememebr what crashses it!)

    Here's something from "BenW123":
    "It is still available for download, although I haven't updated it in around 2 years! Go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/rnse-mp3-mgr/. It works on all Windows variants except Vista. Unfortunately I lost interest in the project, despite trying to drum up interest and feedback from other users. I might get back to it one day because there was loads more I wanted to do.

    ...The folder and filenames mustn't exceed 64 characters if memory serves, and the application handles this for you.
    "

    There are a few features in the application that cause it to crash and it's not very good at saving where you were.... but I find that dragging and dropping folders onto the applications and then sending the files to the SD card will check the file names and create an M3U playlist file in the root... then you can manually delete the folder entry out of the app and repeat.

    Application only checks for disk space on the SD card and does NOT check for the limit on the number of "units".... it seems that the RNS-E will only read the first 400 entries out of the FAT table and mp3 files, m3u files AND FOLDERS all add to this tally...

    Also, you can use 4Gb SD cards (note NOT 4Gb SDHC cards!!) - about 7 from picstop.co.uk... you still have the 400 (approx) unit limit, so it jsut menas you can have the same number of songs, but at 320kbps :D


    Cool. Just downloaded that app so i'll have a play with that this weekend ! ;-)

    Cheers

  25. #24
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Quote Originally Posted by lostbok View Post
    top tip: use M3u files and locate them in the root of the SD card - as this sppeds things up massively!
    I know everything else but didnt know the track list file would speed up the rns, thanks for that, learn something new everyday.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  26. #25
    BahnStormer77's Avatar
    BahnStormer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,591
    NHN - all I know is I used to have each of the M3U's in separate folders (with the MP's) on a 4Gb SD card full of music and it used to take AGES to scan the card.... then I reformatted the contents of the M3U files so they'd work from the root (and dumped all of them in the root, but the music still in the folders) and it'd finish the "Loading...." stage a lot more quickly.
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

  27. #26
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Hey whatever works, lol, I'll try it later.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO