sticking throttle

mtwallet28

Reaction score
hi all im new to this site and to audi,just got my first audi its an a4 2.0 sport on a 51 plate, theres just one thing bothering me about it, when changing gear the revs seem to stay up for a split second as though the throttle is sticking, making gear changes a bit jerky, its worse when i open the car out a bit and try and change gear quickly ( it sounds like im still on the throttle for a split second).if i change gear slowly by lifting off the throttle a tad earlier than pushing the cluch in its fine.ive never driven a car or van that does this before so was just wandering if this is the way they are and i need to get used to it or if theres something not quite right with it,cheers

:sign_welcome:

There is a proceedure to re-align the throttle body on these cars. Off the top of my head I can't remember how to do it, I am sure someone else with a petrol car can advise, if not let me know and I will find out for you.

It is supposed to eliminate jerkiness and improve responsiveness as it sets the car up according to your driving style. It's a dead easy process involving turning the ignition on and off in a certain sequence.

You have the dreaded "granny Rev Foot" I had and few others on here.
This is the Clutch switch, id personally get one anyway because if yours hasnt been changed then it'll most likely be ****** because you are having same symptoms as me and others, its a cheap part so worth a go hey!!!
100_1720.jpg

This is the baby, it sits above your Cltuch pedal. You'll need to take 4 bolts out under your steering wheel, take out the bottom plastic compartment then you'll see it, it twists out and simply insert new one twist in.

I had my throttle cleaned out realigned etc before I changed this part and it didnt improve the "sticking Revs". I changed it on my red one and my present car too and solved the problem each time.

You give it some in gears, clutch in to change gear but revs are still high hence why it sounds like you've just passed your test.;)

The mechanism inside the switch becomes worn and brittle and tends to lose its stability, it electrically communicates telling the engine that you have dipped clutch to change gear but if its "shot it" then your switch wont register as quick hence why the revs stick!

Part number is : 1J0 927 189 F - it'll cost you no more than £15.00 from tha stealers, Yes thats correct £15.00 not £1500.00 typical Stealer price.

Start with that first and im pretty sure that will sort your problem out.

..oh and :sign_welcome: Let us know how you get on, feedback is the Key!!:thumbsup:

thanks for the replies guys, ill get a switch first and try that and see how it goes, wasnt too sure if anyone would understand my explanation ha ha.ill let you all know how it goes

H sounds like the switch to me too. I had a similar prob on my TT when the clutch pedal broke, i fixed the pedal with a nice weld but pushed in the switch you are talkin about thus making gear changes look as if i was wearing stillettos (I wasnt honest) anyway i bougt a switch only to find it has a ratchet type mechanism meaning all i had to do was pull the rod out and it would reset to the correct position. You could possibly try this first then buy a replacement. ps anyone want to buy a clutch switch for a 2001 TT LOL

H sounds like the switch to me too. I had a similar prob on my TT when the clutch pedal broke, i fixed the pedal with a nice weld but pushed in the switch you are talkin about thus making gear changes look as if i was wearing stillettos (I wasnt honest) anyway i bougt a switch only to find it has a ratchet type mechanism meaning all i had to do was pull the rod out and it would reset to the correct position. You could possibly try this first then buy a replacement. ps anyone want to buy a clutch switch for a 2001 TT LOL

God call there Noddy, forgot about that bit, The ratchet type mechanism!:icon_thumright:

just an update, fitted a new switch yesterday (£12 from pentraeth audi) seems a little better but still not right. old switch was a bit rough in operation so for the price it was due a new one anyway.the guy on the parts desk spoke to one of the mechanics about it and said it could be the throttle housing that needs a clean but couldnt be sure without me booking it in for them to rape my wallet!! and he wouldnt tell me if it was the throttle housing under the bonnet or the one thats part of the pedal, so any more advise/ pointers would be much appreciated

cheers mate how do you do the allignment thing

Throttle Body Alignment:

Put in the key and put it into the position just before the starter turns (do not start the car) push the accelerator all the way down, wait 3 seconds and turn the key all the way back but do not take it out, now release the accelerator peddle and wait 2 minutes! Remove key than put it back in and start the car! you should notice a better response, do this once every few weeks!