EPC and eng managment warning lights help!!

HAWKEYE

IT CANT RAIN ALL THE TIME
Reaction score
Right needing some help guys! My car is an A4 2001 2.0 sport, both these warning lights are showing up on the dash. It has been losing power and ( although not the past two weeks ) cut out without warning when Ive come to stop. If I cruise at a speed it suddenly judders for a few seconds then carries on, also sometimes it takes a while to start it :uhm:. So, is it worth getting VAG.Com onto it ( if so anyone on here got it? ) Could it be MAF or crank sensor? I know a few people have given different explanations for these lights, so whos up for a bit of diagnostic surgery!??:sos:

Hi Hawkeye
Needs a scan for sure, the EPC light juddering and difficulty starting could well be a crank sensor, when mine failed that's exactly what happened, the management light didn't come on though so you may well have more than one fault.
When the crank sensor fails however it can bring up all manner of faults so I'd personally recommend, scan the car store the faults as a word document, clear all faults then run the car until it happens again re-scan and see what you got.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.....I hear a few people have had the crank sensor go, so maybe thats it. Funny thing is I've driven today and the epc light hasnt come on but the engine management light is still on. Any idea how much for a crank sensor? and how easy to change???

I'd definitely do a scan before you spend any money, but assuming it's the same as the 1.8T the sensor costs £ 69 pounds and it's not hard to change just a fit fiddly.
The sensor is mounted on the block with one bolt just behind the oil filter and the wiring which is all part of it runs up to the grey plug on the bulkhead under the expansion bottle, again assuming it's the same as a 1.8T.

Or the coil packs..... This will cause judder and leave the engine managment light on...
next time its juddering. pull over and one by one unplug the coil packs if nothing changes its a faulty coil pack.

vag.com is the best bet...

Coil packs failing don't put the ESP light on, but like has been said maybe more than 1 fault.
scan it, if there is a coil pack failing even the free version of vag-com will tell you which one it is.
It could ultimately be quite a few things or a combination of things.
I had 2 intermittent electronic faults when I bought mine plus a blown head gasket, but that's what you get for Friday night e bay shopping.
Whatever you do don't start replacing parts until you've done a scan, you may get lucky but from experience it always ends up costing more.

If we are talking ESP then it might just be the brake switch as mine caused power issues when mine went but then it did not cause starting issues.

Sorry I said ESP meant EPC.
Must have got over excited.

throttle positioner can also bring EPC light on....I've had that aswell...I just stripped and cleaned it.

JEEESUS! I think a diagnostic check is in order, with so many possibilities. I agree its not worth spending out until I know whats exactly wrong with it. Thought it had cured itself other day, but no revvs dropped off at 40 light back on again. need to get it checked soon, anyone know someone with vag.com who could help??

I think there are a few people around the Midlands who use this forum, maybe you could start anther post asking for help with a scan.
The symptoms you've described so far with the exception of the CEL light coming on are exactly what I had with a failed crank sensor (G28 speed sensor on vag-com) but please note if it as this it can trigger all manor of misfire and cam timing faults on vag-com.
Good luck