Check Your's

CMD

Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Hi guy's i was cleaning my engine the other day on my 190 s-line
(engine cover off) and was cleaning the cam cover and the black coolant
pipe that's to the right of the cam cover and knocked off the bleed screw(plastic),
well the head of the bleed screw and the rest of the scew was still inside the coolant tube.The screw head was crumbling away and then i had to
get the rest of the screw out :mad:.I had to pick out the body of the screw
little by little untill all the plastic was out of the internal screw body.That was on Wed's 3rd and Audi don't carry the bleed screw in stock. I pick the scew up on Sat 6th Audi dealer's don't carry a plastic screw that only cost's £1.70p .Guys check your's to make sure these screw's are still easy to turn and they are not stuck or leaking colent.

When the dealer said it's something we don't carry in stock i thought he was joking
and there part's guy still made me pay for it before he placed the order.They must also be feeling the pinch ......

When the dealer said it's something we don't carry in stock i thought he was joking
and there part's guy still made me pay for it before he placed the order.They must also be feeling the pinch ......

You got a part number?
this is my second A4 and it's leaking from that screw and i need to change it.

sorry its not m6, its a heating system thread size, 1/4" gas thread, ask in a plumbing wholesaler like the plumb centre or william wilsons etc, I made up an airline fitting for bleeding it and the adaptor that screws into it is definately 1/4".

Its way smaller than m10, I just got a 1/4" steel bleed screw from a radiator and screwed it into mine after bleeding.

Part Number Description: WHT 000 316

This is for the BEX

Just opened my engine to check my fluids and noticed that the head of the black bleed screw that has been leaking a bit has broken off and now the rest of the scew was still inside the coolant tube!:banghead:.
Gotta try get it out now and get a replacement.

hmm, suspect this may be the cause of my leaking coolant too. thanks for the headsup!

hmm, suspect this may be the cause of my leaking coolant too. thanks for the headsup!

I suggest you change it before the head breaks off like mine. JMSpeedy is getting me a replacement for about £1.70 ish.

Lad's when mine broke off and the body of the screw was left in the coolent tube, I had to pick it out bit by bit ensuring that the last bit of the thread did not drop into the coolant itself, just keep on pumping by hand the radiator hose on the right hand side to flush any small bits out, then top up with coolant when finished, I also took the header tank cap off when doing this repair. Do not over tighten the new screw - as I feel they are slightly different.....

PJMSpeedy sent me a new bleed screw and I'm now off to screwfix to get a screw extractor which costs about £2.70

Fingers crossed.

Good luck and take your time.

That was a b*tch to sort out!!

Well the screw extractor did not work, it just went in and made a hole, i dont think that the JML one would have worked either as i think the screw seemed to be melted to the surrounding pipe.
In the end i just had to drill it to peices and use a hoover, multi-tool and whatever i could find. I think i got it all out in the end then i put some plumbers tape round the new one and screwed it in.

I think that these screws should be changed every year or two. For the price they cost (£1.73), it's a small price to pay.

My advice, change as soon as you notice the slightest leak.

I know what you are saying ,i tried the same thing as you ,it just ripped it to bits so i used a thin screw driver.Good idea about replacing them every 1-2 year's tobe on the safe side.

PJMSpeedy sent me a new bleed screw and I'm now off to screwfix to get a screw extractor which costs about £2.70

Fingers crossed.

Hey Tola,

When I ordered yours, I ordered myself one just in case and guess what......? Got home tonight to check mine as I haven't had my car all week and the top of it came off in my hand! :keule:

Anyway drilled it out and put some plumbing tape around it as you had done and all sorted. Think I may order me some spares.

Anyone else need any just let me know!

Hey Tola,

When I ordered yours, I ordered myself one just in case and guess what......? Got home tonight to check mine as I haven't had my car all week and the top of it came off in my hand! :keule:

Anyway drilled it out and put some plumbing tape around it as you had done and all sorted. Think I may order me some spares.

Anyone else need any just let me know!

Paul,
you know what I was thinking of ordering another one oe two just this morning. I'm also gonna look into trying to get a permanent fix with a metal screw as the evilscotsman has done.
How Audi let this design flaw go unfixed is beyond me, all it takes is for them to order and stock something that will not degenerate or degrade over a period of 2-3 years, but no, they are willing leave it and are wanting to charge £70 or more to change the whole pipe.

End of rant. Feel better now.

not sure if this is related to the screw thing you're all talking about here, but was driving along the other day, and smoke started coming out of the engine, AA guy came and filled up coolant, looked about a week later and the coolant level was below minimum again...any ideas guys? Car seems to be getting very hot without running it much...

not sure if this is related to the screw thing you're all talking about here, but was driving along the other day, and smoke started coming out of the engine, AA guy came and filled up coolant, looked about a week later and the coolant level was below minimum again...any ideas guys? Car seems to be getting very hot without running it much...

Could well be! Take the plastic cover off and have a look around the bleed screw (should be signs of leak) that is on the top of the black metal pipe which leads to the radiator.

Let us know how you get on !

This is what you need to look out for.

1241270353.jpg

1241270382.jpg