Air Filter

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
Service looming and I have always used OEM parts - can't remember the price of an air filter off hand, but £10-20 seems familiar.

I have seen this K&N for £40 which can be cleaned and re-used, or this Pipercross for the same sort of money.

I am not looking for performance gains from them, but will be happy to accept any :)

I have heard that when they are cleaned and re-oiled they can give the MAF incorrect readings. Has anyone any experience or comments about using these type of filters?

in every single car ive had ive always had an aftermarket airfilter.

in my audi i have a green cotton filter which was £48 i believe. it is not as raspy sounding as the k&n but made by them.

performance-wise i doubt its any quicker but does sound it!

i usually keep them for about a year and a half then flog them on because i cant trust myself to clean and re-oil them properly

also the mpg can be slightly improved with them i have heard too

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/airfiltergreenpanel.htm#A4

in my audi i have a green cotton filter which was £48 i believe. it is not as raspy sounding as the k&n but made by them.

i usually keep them for about a year and a half then flog them on because i cant trust myself to clean and re-oil them properly

Does the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P960500[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.8 20v Turbo 150/165/190 '00-04 filter fit the BFB Cabrio 1.8T engine?[/FONT]

Is your car a diesel or petrol mate?

James, I've heard from other forums that free flow filters are bad for diesels, but this only seems to be the MAF issue. The places that sell the filters say it's b*ll*cks as the MAF is temperamental anyway. I know an Audi master tech that disagrees, plus says the filter won't do anything either.

All I know is as my car overboosts (yes it's back in with full vengeance, grrr!!!!) this seems to happen sooner with the K&N fitted.

No performance gains, just a little noise. Lifting off sounds louder, but this only seems noticable if the weather is cold anyway.

Cheers marc, thats interesting - if there is any chance of MAF issues I will probably give it a miss as the last thing I need is more hassles.

Gutted yours is still playing up, it was looking so promising too :ohmy:

Anyone else with a diesel got any good or bad experiences?

Yep I know what you mean mate not worth the hassle really.

I keep putting it back in to test everything out, to see the effect, and as I don't want to be wasting money. I don't think the filter is causing the overboost at all, I just don't think it's helping the issue either. Once I've got to the bottom of the overboost and limp mode fully I will try it all again.

I have heard that the ITG filters work ok on diesels but I haven't got one yet.

I have heard that the ITG filters work ok on diesels but I haven't got one yet.

I have never heard of them, downloaded the catalogue but none of the "Profilters" which are direct replacement filters are listed or priced. UK distributor is Merlin Motorsport at Castle Combe in Wilts - I was only there today for a Classic sportscar day :banghead:

ITG are Good as said, I used them all the time on my Scoobys!! Thumbs up

I've been using the Pipercross panel filter for over a year now and have had no problems (but i'm not sure what it would be like on a diesel), I just give it a bit of clean/oil every couple of months (I do about 400miles a week). As a bonus it sounds like I have a whore trapped under the bonnet when I boot it.

It's the oil that affects the MAF, usually after cleaning and re oiling, rather than when new as us poor members of the public have no real way to know how much oil is enough, and too little cause them not to filter properly