Andy's tyre choice poll.

What tyre choice should I make now?

• Buy some new Goodyear GSD3s, you know they work.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Buy some Toyo T1-Rs or similar, they look the same and are cheaper.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Buy some Uniroyal Rain Sports, they look funky and grip well in the rain.

• Just keep the ones you've got, the cords grip surprisingly well.

• I truely don't care, just buy whatever Kwik fit have on offer.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use liquorice, It smells nice when the wheels spin.

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

AndymacA4

Reaction score
Have justed posted this question, then I found the poll button option!

My rear tyres are shot, mainly due to poor alignment from Audi!

Long story short, they are pretty shot.

I'v ebeen looking for possible replacements, I've had in the recent past only Toyo T1-R and Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres, usually as full sets. I currently have GSD3s whcih I really rate in Z speed rating, very grippy, very predictable, etc etc. They are super, but this set, on the front have lasted about 9000 miles of 'spirited' driving. Thats a tad poor, Whatever I put on the back, will be matched on the front when they wear down a little more.
grippy, especially in the wet, some more road drone.
So, choice 1: Buy more GSD3s, accept they don't last long, and that they go off the boil in the last quarter of their life.
Choice 2, go back to Toyo T1-Rs or maybe CF-1s, a brand I've used a lot, dependable, good wear to the wear markers, but a little less
Choice 3 Go for something else. Maybe Uniroyal Rainsports?

I assume everyone here will have a view as to what is good, or bad, so the main question, what do you run?

What are the pros and cons?

where do you buy tyres from?

I've used BlackCircles for ages, but they don't sell Uniroyals, and their price on Goodyears is a little strong.

Cheers

Andy

I had the Goodyear F1's on the front of my old 2WD 1.8T and the wear rate was bad.
I've just puchased 4 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta at £120 each. After researching and looking at others and considering price, everywhere i looked, Vredesteins were highly rated. In Evo magazine i think they came 2nd and in some German mag this was the result;

1. Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, score 244
2. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, score 243
3. Pirelli P Nero Zero, score 242
3. Continental Sport Contact 3, score 242
5. Michelin Pilot Sport 2, score 225
6. Dunlop SP Sportmaxx, score 220
7. Hankook Ventus S1 Evo, score 215
8. Toyo Proxes T1 R, score 205
plus they have a wicked tread pattern!:o.k:

Someone else was asking a similar question earlier or is this Dave Ja Vu?

I've gone with the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas too, after loads of research. I had originally planned to fit Goodyear F1 assymetrics but the Vredesteins are about £20 less each and have really good reviews so no point in paying the extra.

Black Circles don't do Vredestein but there are lots of suppliers on the web, try, (all will be fairly close to each other in price and offer delivery only or fitted options):

http://www.pneus-online.co.uk/

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

http://www.tyrexpress.com/

http://www.elitedirect.com/

vredestein_ultrac_sessanta.jpg

If they're the right ones; I'm loving that tread pattern!!

Can highly recommend www.mytyres had about 5 sets of tyres from them always good service/del time.:icon_thumright:

I get my tyres from John @ Designer Wheels. Drop him a PM as they advertise on here.

I'm sure he'll match anyone else and possibly beat anyone else!

I'm liking those Vredesteins. Shame they don't do them in my fitment. My rims are a paultry 16" so I'm on 205/55 R16 tyres.

The 16" fitment Vredesteins look like tractor tyres, can't go there. Just to horrid to look at, I know thats a bit poor!

I don't know what it says about this forum that the most popular choice is 'use liquorice instead!'

They look nice, will look in to it. I'd prefer a place that supply and fit, or a blackcircles like operation, you buy them, they get fitted, all in, no faffing about trying to find a fitting centre. Most round here now have a policy of not fitting customer supplied parts.

Use blackcircles, select the fitted option and then call the local recommended fitter and you'll get a better price. Saves all the fannying around.

Use blackcircles, select the fitted option and then call the local recommended fitter and you'll get a better price. Saves all the fannying around.

I think you're right, my fitter told me to call him first next time to see what he could do for me. No harm in trying.

Funny thing though, mine were shipped from Germay :think: