Oil Warning Problems Worse - Cam Chain Noisy Now

ScottyP45

Reaction score
I got the oil pressure warning as said before, so did a flush and change, then 6k later, back it comes, do the same again, still getting the oil (red) level warning....put comma "leave-in" flush and oil warning gets more frequent (ie constant!) and now after getting home, the cam cover is emitting a diesel type rattle that gets loud on boost and dump, sounds bad :(

I suspect the sludging has returned and blocked the feed to the cam timing unit, but has anyone else had this and how long did it last? No money and 2 important days ahead, gotta do 60 miles tomorrow to work then 80 miles tue for an appointment in Edinburgh, hope it doesnt just pack up on me cos im stuffed if it does.

Anyone else?

Evil - you know exactly what im going to say dont you!:tapedshut:...

Its defo a sign of the dredded problem and if you dont want to be forkin out 'more' than what you are already going to be doing then dont risk it. It'll be the most nervous 60miles you'll be doing if it makes it that far.

The Pin is already out of the grenade but you can still stop it from going "BANG!!!!!!!!!" Dont make my mistake matey :no:

gonna have to do somethin mate, I need the car badly especially on tuesday but with work looming tomorrow morning, new job, can't afford to be off but if it breaks im stranded miles from home and tue is VERY important.

Dunno what the hell to do now, I filled it a bit much when I did the last oil change, but maybe should drop some out as it seems to have made it worse. The level is half as much as the min max dent, above - maybe up to a litre....the oil runs so slowly down to the sump i thought it was ok, then checked the next day, too high :(

DOH!

I wondered if that had done it but makes no sense for too much oil to starve the top end eh?

Update: I drained a litre out, cool but was quite runny and semi clear, I guess the warning was because I had partly accidentally (stupidly) added too much oil when I did the latest change. Hopefully no more damage ensues. The oil I had drained out at the weekend, which was synth and had done 6k on a new filter, was lying round the back yard and I just tipped it into a waste oil container 5 mins ago, it was like semi-set custard, a big thick dollop of gel, with almost no liquid oil left in it at 22 deg c outside temp! Imagine trying to lube the cams with that at 5 deg c (when I leave for work) - no wonder its rattling! Better now though, much quieter softer rattle. As long as it lives a few more weeks till my company car goes through and im saved...

Yup J7uss, you were spot on there, it went bang 20 miles later. The chain started rattling violently, engine management lights all came on, dash was like blackpool, the turbo let out a piercing shriek, then the engine went pop and died.

No compression, seized turbo, all the exhaust valves are bent. The oilways are all choked with thick solid goo.

Thats it for me boys, no more audi's. Thats the second A4 in a row to blow up on me, and its my last. ****** nice looking car too, gets admired wherever you go, but thats if you get there :(

Anyone wanna buy it cheap for spares? Loads of good parts or fix it up, too much for me now though and I need cheap transport somehow as I live in a wee village and the nearest shop is miles away, along with **** poor bus service.

Anyone interested let me know, description of it is in me sig pic.

:Flush: :puke2:

I used the correct spec fully synth oil, but the supplying garage for the car used plain mineral oil in its service before I got it, they said they weren't aware of an issue with using that but I knew different, problem is I only discovered this when the sludging started to rear its head, only this time I didnt get the chance to save it in time.

Evil, Nooooooo, I told you!!! Im sorry for you matey, you must have been in a right predicament for you to have chanced it.

So its now down to a new engine..
Are you sure you want to sell it as it is though? When mine went I was told nothing but an AVJ engine would fit but there has been talk on here that a few will go in.

Really sorry to hear that evil, I know how you're feeling having lost an engine myself not so long ago. I hope you will still pop in here from time to time? You knowledge is invaluable :thumbsup:

Really sorry to hear the evil, I know how you're feeling having lost an engine myself not so long ago. I hope you will still pop in here from time to time? You knowledge is invaluable :thumbsup:

x2

yeah sure will lads, its home after all!

I really dont have the cash to fix it and nowhere to keep it long term, so as gutting as it is, I will take a £5k loss even if I got a grand for it, so I thought £750 was fair since it will be upwards of £1800 for a new engine after all. The mot has expired now too which was going to be done for free at audi, but no point now so its cheap.

If tomorrow goes ok, and it is ULTRA important to me for many other reasons, I will have a shiny new 200bhp Toyota Hilux Invincible to run around in soon ;) its a final meeting (3rd interview) for a dream job with a company in Zurich, Switzerland (the job is based in the UK), so I just needed it to last another few weeks, but ah well, I got a honda civic from a mate to use till whenever so transport is sorted for the mo.