2WD or QUATTRO?

AudiSport

Reaction score
Help, can't decide as there is one of each available - should I go Quattro or 2WD in my potential Audi A4 Sport purchase? Looking at a 2003 A4 190 2WD Sport or a 2003 A4 163 Quattro Sport...

I love the feel of the quattro drive, but dislike the increased fuel bill! Going to get either car REVO'd. Which will be more fun after?

Peoples thoughts would be REALLY appreciated!

Easy mate, Right then, FWD as you said will be lighter on Fuel but not massively. The Quattro is alot more fun IMO as I like the Control...

The FWD will feel alot torque'y due to the FWD alone, Quattro will still feel different but not as noticable as the FWD due to the All wheel grip and Weight

Overall Id be going for the Quattro (obviously) as I prefer 4 wheel drive than just Front.

So in whole, the FWD will feel lighter & Faster/Torque'y
The Quattro will still feel alot quicker than standard but not as Punchey as the FWD... Speed aint everything these days when we're comparing these 2 particular models.

Theres my 2 pence worth!!!:o.k:

Quattro will let you get out of a side road into fast flowing traffic like you wouldn't believe, even more so on a wet road - it will open up gaps in the traffic you could never utilise in fwd. And in the snow (I know it's rare!) it's unbelievable.

Quattro all the way :racer:

Easy mate, Right then, FWD as you said will be lighter on Fuel but not massively. The Quattro is alot more fun IMO as I like the Control...

The FWD will feel alot torque'y due to the FWD alone, Quattro will still feel different but not as noticable as the FWD due to the All wheel grip and Weight

Overall Id be going for the Quattro (obviously) as I prefer 4 wheel drive than just Front.

So in whole, the FWD will feel lighter & Faster/Torque'y
The Quattro will still feel alot quicker than standard but not as Punchey as the FWD... Speed aint everything these days when we're comparing these 2 particular models.

Theres my 2 pence worth!!!:o.k:

Thanks for the info - you are talking about 2WD Vs Quattro - and not 4WD Vs Quattro arn't you?

Also, wont the 190bhp be quicker after REVO'd?

Look at both and see how you feel. Id have loved Quatro but with my budget lower mileage and fsh was more important to me and i ended up with a FWD.

I've got FWD, but I think my signature says it really, lol. Mine feels front heavy, and is noticeable round the twisty A and B roads, with a bit of understeer. I know it's a B5, but I thinkk they drive pretty similar.

Hi
personally a quattro i have both and have had both in various guises
from Ur 20v ,B5 s4 with remap, and others
i have one of each at the moment and i love them both and in most general road situations with reasonable power theres not a lot in it
especially with the likes of esp keeping things in check .
drive them both and see what you think
but as already said the quattro always feels heavier and less potent unless you have silly bhp.

re: comments made based on B5: the B5 and B6 are VERY different cars to drive.

With the 1.8T there's a lot more to debate around the issue since it's a much lighter car: with the 2.5TDi it's a no-brainer, has to be Quattro, similar with the 1.9TDi (unless you're purely after fuel economy) and then the diesel toque and fuel economy will leave you with a torque-rich, economical cruiser that can still nail it out of short A-road on ramps in the wet. With the 1.8T, the reduce weight and power at higher revs means that the traction isn't quite as much of an issue unless you start remapping significantly over 200bhp.

And that's tne thing to bear in mind.... a 190 is only going to Revo to about 205-210bhp.... even if it goes higher you'll be getting into territory where the FWD will start to become VERY apaprent. But a 163 will probably Revo to about 185bhp and if you do any further mods to push it beyond there, the Quattro system will make sure you can always use that power... and some people go WAY beyond 200 (I've seen 400+bhp in some Mk2 Golf's via a 20V 1.8T engine).

I have 250 ish in my B5 FWD and it is a nightmare to get the power down without the racelogic interfering. After all of the time and money invested, it comes back to one thing, i iwsh i had gone quattro. At least with a B6 a quattro swap can be done with the correct components as the mounts are all there. So i suppose you could go fwd and if you ever go big power convert to quatty later

if there's any chance of ever tweaking to the point where u want a quattro, then jsut save yourself a lot of pain and buy it as quattro....

if u buy it as a fwd, then quattro it later, it'll never be quite the same... i've seen some conversions and they look MESSY... you effectively end up buying / manufacturing most of a quattro sub-frame and chassis anyway... better to go and buy a quattro and port your engine mods across....

On the B6 the mounts are all there, its just a case of using the correct parts from the donor, however,it will always be a midified car then. You need to consider how much time etc has been spent on the car, i had got to a point where i feel i cannot go much further without spending silly money or finding something to mod for the sake of it. The time spent to bolt on the rear SF and gearbox, diff prop etc etc could well be less time than removing the mods and swapping them over.

However, if you don't intend to mod past a chip, 2wd will suffice, if you may want more Quattro all the way

Thanks for the info guys. I've put a deposit on a FWD car as it was by far the best option. Quattro would have been nice, however I have managed to get a A4 Sport 190 S-line with one owner and only 39k on the clock for peanuts! I will defo go for the Revo remap, however that will be it for me as far as mods goes I think as 210 ish bhp will be enough for me.

Is there any other mods I should consider to get the best out of the engine? I'm talking small money mods - and not BIG TURBO / INJECTORS etc..

Thanks for the info lads!

if nothing more than a chip, then 1.8T will probably be better most fo the time of the time with just FWD... lighter in the corners and on fuel.... it's just when you start drifting it / nail it out of a corner you may start wondering what that would have felt like with the back pushing too.... still a very decent car - I doubt you'll be disappointed!