Car Buyers beware-flaw in HPI mileage checks

oat

Reaction score
Yesterday I returned home from doing a deal on an S3 at an Audi main dealer. Did a quick MOT check using VOSA and it transpires the previous owner has done a Marty McFly and gone back in time with my S3.
I would have thought an HPI check would have picked this up but it did not.

Dealer refunded my deposit and is as shocked/gutted as I am, although they are in utter shock this hasn't been unearthed during their HPI check
This got me thinking and after a lot of research I've discovered ANY HPI mileage checks are NOT linked to the VOSA MOT database!!:keule: Talk about a major flaw in the system!! I still can't believe this hasn't been unearthed by anyone before!!

Be careful out there guys when buying, make sure you do a VOSA MOT check for the mileage as well as full HPI for any outstanding finance/insurance write off etc.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/j...ry-Request.jsp

glad you got your money back mate, don't think it was ever in doubt, Audi would be as ****** off as you were I'd imagine...it pays to do your own homework now a days...

Yea lol, O well at least it was that simple and they wasnt pushing you to buy it still.
Good luck on the hunt still!

glad you sorted it and got your money back.didnt think you would have much of a problem to be honest

my friend is looking at a S3 today,showing around 50k told him to do a vosa check as well as a HPI check.better to be safe than sorry

how much is a vosa check by the way?

glad you sorted it and got your money back.didnt think you would have much of a problem to be honest

my friend is looking at a S3 today,showing around 50k told him to do a vosa check as well as a HPI check.better to be safe than sorry

how much is a vosa check by the way?

It's Free!:busted_cop:

Google VOSA MOT CHECK - I have a bad feeling I might end up ruining a few peoples days as clocking is more rife than you would imagine...:angrymod:

Guys how would you check a car that you have just seen on sale, because on the vosa site it asks for the regestration and MOT test number from VT20 MOT Test Certificate or VT30 Refusal of an MOT Test Certificate (failure notice) or Document Reference Number from the V5C Registration Certificate issued by the DVLA??

Im just asking because my mums seen a audi a3 8p 2.0 tdi going pretty good price, done a hpi but after eading this thread yesterday its got me thinking as the car shows 36,000 on the clock which for a 2004 is pretty low.

Guys how would you check a car that you have just seen on sale, because on the vosa site it asks for the regestration and MOT test number from VT20 MOT Test Certificate or VT30 Refusal of an MOT Test Certificate (failure notice) or Document Reference Number from the V5C Registration Certificate issued by the DVLA??

Im just asking because my mums seen a audi a3 8p 2.0 tdi going pretty good price, done a hpi but after eading this thread yesterday its got me thinking as the car shows 36,000 on the clock which for a 2004 is pretty low.

call the seller and ask for the imfo you require.if they have anything to hide they will refuse

Just checked mine, all ok thankfully. However I checked my 1998 Pug 106 on the database and it shows the first MOT being done in Jan 2006! Im hoping this database has only been around for a few years and thats the reason why. However I did buy the car last year with rediculously low mileage (46k for a 10 year old car) so im starting to worry a little!

It does state on the site that records only go back to the start of the computerised MOT's i have a couple of the old style MOT certificates in my history folder that didn't show up on the VOSA site..... i think it goes back to around 2005/2006 something like that

It does state on the site that records only go back to the start of the computerised MOT's i have a couple of the old style MOT certificates in my history folder that didn't show up on the VOSA site..... i think it goes back to around 2005/2006 something like that

Thats put my mind at ease then!

That is a great VOSA site that I have used for my last 3 car purchases, it even tells you what it failed on before being passed!

Regarding HPI and where they get their mileages/info from, I recently recieved a letter from the 'UK Vehicle Mileage Database' stating that they needed any information regarding the mileage on a Mini Cooper Convertible that I owned a couple of years ago. It stated that they had an urgent requirement for the mileage verification and could I fill out the attached form asap and return it to them. The form wanted to know dates of ownership, mileages, service dates etc etc so I carefully read the letter again only to find that even though it mentioned the DVLA and VOSA numerous times the 'UK Vehicle Mileage Database' is actually part of HPI!
So I sent a letter back to them stating that whenever I have needed this information from them they have charged me around £40 for the privelege so if they would like to send me a cheque for £40 or a voucher for a free HPI check in return I would gladly give them all the information they wanted! I also said that I thought it was a little dubious of them to be masquerading as a government department! Their reply came back in the form of a reminder stating that this was second time that they had requested this information and I must complete the form immediately! I didn't and a week later I received a third letter which was headed 'FINAL REMINDER' Cheeky b######s I thought so I filled out the form with spaceship mileages, 12 accidents, no servicing whatsoever, 3 colour changes, and incorrect vin/engine numbers......they haven't replied...

That is a great VOSA site that I have used for my last 3 car purchases, it even tells you what it failed on before being passed!

Regarding HPI and where they get their mileages/info from, I recently recieved a letter from the 'UK Vehicle Mileage Database' stating that they needed any information regarding the mileage on a Mini Cooper Convertible that I owned a couple of years ago. It stated that they had an urgent requirement for the mileage verification and could I fill out the attached form asap and return it to them. The form wanted to know dates of ownership, mileages, service dates etc etc so I carefully read the letter again only to find that even though it mentioned the DVLA and VOSA numerous times the 'UK Vehicle Mileage Database' is actually part of HPI!
So I sent a letter back to them stating that whenever I have needed this information from them they have charged me around £40 for the privelege so if they would like to send me a cheque for £40 or a voucher for a free HPI check in return I would gladly give them all the information they wanted! I also said that I thought it was a little dubious of them to be masquerading as a government department! Their reply came back in the form of a reminder stating that this was second time that they had requested this information and I must complete the form immediately! I didn't and a week later I received a third letter which was headed 'FINAL REMINDER' Cheeky b######s I thought so I filled out the form with spaceship mileages, 12 accidents, no servicing whatsoever, 3 colour changes, and incorrect vin/engine numbers......they haven't replied...

Classic :applaus: Well done pal. :icon_thumright:

I got caught out like that when I phoned Audi UK to check the cars history (All main dealers upload this info to Audi UK) they told me the car had higher miles than was on the clock needless to say I did not buy the car.

i have seen some seriously damaged cars written off by insurance companies and legally returned to the road WITHOUT ever appearing on the hpi register somehow they just slip through the net . the hpi companies can only tell you what they know and they only know what they are told personally i dont trust them

Absolutely right 'oat'.

I just bought a 1 owner '53' 2.0 Sport from a retiring doctor at... wait for it 25k miles and well below market value. It was tucked away on a local free car sellers website and so was not on Autotrader. I only found it by chance through Google.

Naturally suspicious, I HPI'd it and it cleared but common sense told me to do further checking esp as I had not seen the car but begged him to take it off the market anyway (Gamble). Turned out, the mileage was absolutely on the money. Every year, VOSA tallied with the immaculate Audi Service History. Was really chuffed when I picked it up.

Have had it for a month now and even though I downgraded from an E60 (04) BMW 525i, I think I might have got a better car (Driveability-wise anyway, though minus the gadgets in the 5)...

So... DO YOUR HOMEWORK! You've found a loophole the bright sparks missed!

Even if from a dealer.

Should get pics up soon...

Classic :applaus: Well done pal. :icon_thumright:

LMAO.... Good one!

Though you were not bound to respond anyway. Got one of them in the post in the past and filed it very carefully with the attention it deserved, in the bin!

Whenever you buy a car, you should ALWAYS check that the service book matches the mot's. That is the ONLY way to confirm milages. You can also call your local dealer to verify milages held on the audi national database. If in doubt - cross it out!

I beg to disagree with you Joshaudi re contacting dealer, I purcahsed my Audi A4 from a trader and wanted to confirm if the Audi dealer Garage had actually completed the work, they wouldnt tell me because I wasnt the vehicle owner and it was data protection (what the hell is that about) all I wanted to know did they do the job or not, I even phone Audi Uk and their stance was the same madness its hardly data protection if you completed the work or not.
Now I owner the car Audi were more than happy to help, only because I was going to spend some money on genuine parts (I still didnt have the V5 through then either)

Yesterday I returned home from doing a deal on an S3 at an Audi main dealer. Did a quick MOT check using VOSA and it transpires the previous owner has done a Marty McFly and gone back in time with my S3.
I would have thought an HPI check would have picked this up but it did not.

Dealer refunded my deposit and is as shocked/gutted as I am, although they are in utter shock this hasn't been unearthed during their HPI check
This got me thinking and after a lot of research I've discovered ANY HPI mileage checks are NOT linked to the VOSA MOT database!!:keule: Talk about a major flaw in the system!! I still can't believe this hasn't been unearthed by anyone before!!

Be careful out there guys when buying, make sure you do a VOSA MOT check for the mileage as well as full HPI for any outstanding finance/insurance write off etc.

Check your vehicle's MOT status and history online : Directgov - Motoring

VOSA MOT check has saved me twice so far. Would never view a car without doing these checks first.

Whenever you buy a car, you should ALWAYS check that the service book matches the mot's.
Couldnt agree more unless like me you have lost the service book Aaaaargh.
i then have the problem if i ever sell proving that the car has been serviced every 5 k and wanted for nothing .

It's not full proof, if the mileage is not recorded then it wont show on the HPI as "massaged"...Also a lot of new cars are clocked PRIOR to going to MOT tests especially if under 3 years old. Buy the car new or from 1st owner if you want reliable 1st hand mileage but even then is not shure. I buy cars with high mileage so i know they not massaged...When you look at similar aged mercs or beemers they are above average mileage you would find on an audi. Rule of thumb, if its "low" mileage and cheap with dodgy service history (check the page numbers and the middle staples for tampering and double holles in the pages) then IT IS clocked ! Dont you think is just cheap car getting clocked, i know a few fellas wich adjust mileage on high end cars: ferrari's, bentley's, lambo's just to keep the warranty when clutches or gearboxes go !