Tdi slow to start

necroeire

Reaction score
In the last few days the car has been hard to start, it cranks fine and takes a few turns before it comes to life. I've changed the heater plugs, hooked it up to VAG-COM(No errors) and had a full service done yesterday, (Filters, Oil etc..)

Now I'm thinking that there may be a bit of grit or some dirt on one of the injectors or something, so now I've bought an additive for diesel engines. Anyone ever tried these? Any opinions on what else it could be? Cheers fellas.

I have heard good things about 'Forte' but never used it myself.

Only other thing it could possible be is fuel pump/engine timing - but that should have been checked with VAGcom by the garage?

On the additive front, I have always used Millers Power Plus (although its been renamed recently to power 4 for some reason) ever since my old Bora 130 PD started running rough. Took about 2 tanks to work through but I reckon it must of cleaned the injectors through.

http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm

There are those out there that say you can use it as a 'top up' for std diesel to make it like V power or BP ultimate. I'm of the opinion that the Millers is to keep the fuel system nice and clean and ensure smoother running...the Premium fuels simply have more Cetane in them which makes for better combustion - hence the more 'peppy' response you get from using it. Personally, I use both :arco:

Have you had your starter motor checked btw?

Cheers
Rich

In the last few days the car has been hard to start, it cranks fine and takes a few turns before it comes to life. I've changed the heater plugs, hooked it up to VAG-COM(No errors) and had a full service done yesterday, (Filters, Oil etc..)

Now I'm thinking that there may be a bit of grit or some dirt on one of the injectors or something, so now I've bought an additive for diesel engines. Anyone ever tried these? Any opinions on what else it could be? Cheers fellas.

possibly a slight leak in the fuel lines that is allowing the fuel to run back from the injectors.
also try using the pre heat twice before starting the engine.

Cheers for the advice guys, last thing now is - I have the NCT (National car Test) next Wednesday and I wonder if the additive will cause more nasties in the exhaust which may case a fail?
(The NCT is the Irish version of the MOT.)

possibly a slight leak in the fuel lines that is allowing the fuel to run back from the injectors.

Thats a very valid point, I had this a while back and the car was very slow to start as it sucked in air everytime you turned it off. New pipes were on back order with Audi till July though so I hope it's not that :unsure:

I would have though additives would reduce rather than increase your emissions?

Cant really say for sure mate, very much doubt it tho..would be inclined to agree with James as surely a product designed to clean your system would not create more NOX?

Rich

Cheers for the advice guys, last thing now is - I have the NCT (National car Test) next Wednesday and I wonder if the additive will cause more nasties in the exhaust which may case a fail?
(The NCT is the Irish version of the MOT.)

Cant really say for sure mate, very much doubt it tho..would be inclined to agree with James as surely a product designed to clean your system would not create more NOX?

Rich

it may well increase the emissions as anything being 'cleaned' from the tank/fuel line/induction/injectors will be burnt upon combustion and sent down the exhaust but i doubt very much that there would be enough of an increase to cause an emissions failure

Forte products were mentioned in an earlier post, these were used by all mg rover dealers and were deemed pretty good by their techs.

hth