Which Audi A4 Avant?

Dunc2610

Reaction score
I've been looking through pages and pages of info on Parkers on different engines and specs, and well, i'm no closer to disiphering which model i should look at.

Firstly, engine, 1.8T vs 1.9tdi vs 2.5tdi, my driving is mostly m'way, with a few country lanes thrown in for good measure. I tend to cruise at 70-80mph on m'ways so don't really need a massive top end, but low end pulling power would be nice. Also how do they compare service cost/frequency wise?

Secondly, is what trim level? Currently i have leather, climate, cruise control and heated seats, and would love this in whatever car i look at next. I'm bamboozled, by sports, quattro's, quattro sports, SE's etc. At first i liked the idea of a sport with the firmer suspension, but then Parkers says they didn't have cruise control etc....a little guidance would be great there.

Look forward to any assistance you guys can offer.

Many thanks,
Duncan

Depends on what model you want ie B6 or B7 , and how much you have to spend but look for sline spec and not se , quattro`s tend to be specced up quite nice , 2.0turbo avant`s are very nice , not too bad on fuel and plenty of low down torque and pull away nice at high speed too.
good luck

rob

See my signature for my car spec......It was well specced up before I bought it from York Audi....I have added the RNS-e, Bluetooth, RS6 reps &RS4 Anti Roll Bar..which I s'pose added another £1400 onto the price of the car...

All I would recommend is a manual as the autos/multitronics can be mega expensive to fix, make sure it has a FASH, and check cambelt has been changed at correct service interval...(changed my 2.5TDi cambelt + waterpump at 48K at 5 yrs old - cost =£450 but some people have paid anything up to £650)...and the quattros only do about 15K on a set of 4 new tyres...

1.8Turbos although quick appear to have quite heavy fuel consumption especially the quattro's.....If I was looking for a B6 now it would have to be either the 1.9TDi or 2.5TDi Quattro but they are very rare with low mileage !

See the other posts in this forum.....I really like my 2.5 as its a really nice relaxing motorway cruiser

I personally would now go for a fully loaded B7 3.0TDi Avant Quattro.....cracking chain cam motor ...although most do not have cruise, sat nav or bluetooth they are dead easy to retrofit !

I agree with John ;)

Sport's come with sport seats, 3 spoke wheel, 20mm lowered suspension and standard 17'' wheels. SE's have the full trip computer rather than just the DTE gauge, and usually 16'' wheels, but are more likely to come with leather and cruise unless you are lucky enough to find a well -specced sport.

Hmmm, interesting, my 2.5TDi came with those 18" BBS alloys usually found on TT's of the same age....

Has to be said I drove a 2.5SE....and its a bit more of a comfy drive than the sport....much better on our pot holed roads IMHO

I 'think' your 18's must have been a dealer fit or retrofit option John?

Yep, you could be right.......not sure, but I have never seen another A4 with them fitted.....

John get some :sign_pics: up then! :)

Can only give information on the 1.9TDI, which is a great drive. These engines are renowned for being near on bullet proof, going on for hundreds of thousands of miles if maintained well, also returning good mpg.

Mines a sport and came with cruise, but as JohnboyC says, it's a relatively cheap and easy retrofit.

It's only a FWD version but does hold the road very well to be honest, just don't have the additional benefit during the really bad weather that the quattro gives.

This is what my A4 looked like at York Audi when I bought it...I still have the 18" BBS alloys in my garage roof void in totally mint condition....

Audi_1.jpg

...and this is what it looks like now (PP on it now tho)..the 18" RS6's are a lot easier to keep clean :)

SideView1.jpg

RearView1.jpg

and the interior looks like this :

DSC06096.jpg

My budget at present would be no more than £10k, its a tough decision, cause i'd love the sports seats/suspension, but then i do love my cruise control. Wheels don't really bother me, 16's i'd be happy with as it equates to cheaper tires. I'm guessing the best option would be a Quattro sport and retrofit cruise if i couldn't find a well specced Sport in the first place. Did any SEs come with the sports seats?

My SE is very good at the motorways, but I think I would prefer the 1.9 or the 2.0 tdi for service costs, with the quattro for the fun. As the 1.9 or 2.0 are lighter (not sure by how much) than my 2.5, I would imagine it would be a slightly better drive around the twistier A roads. Can't beat it on the longer journeys though. And agree with the idea of cruise control :yes:

For that price why not go the whole hog and get an S-Line?
The last of the B6's (2004) had almost all the kit you could ask for, (see below.)

Are S-Line's quite rare, can't say i've seen that many in my search so far?

I would have thought that with your budget you would have a lot of options if you do not mind traveling a little. Where abouts are you looking?

With that kind of budget, you should have no probs.

Quattro, TDi and S-Line all good things to aim for.

Test drive a 1.9 130TDi FWD, 1.9 130TDi Quattro and 2.5 180TDI Quattro and see what you think...

For most people, I'd recommend something like a a reasonable spec 1.9TDi Quattro S-Line for around £8k and retro-fit cruise control and RNS-E or anything that's not included.... 2.5TDI's are lots of fun and are pretty economical, especially on the motorways, but they are a LOT heavier and the 1.9TDi is enough for most.... plus the 1.9TDi engines have a great track record of big mileage, even when remapped to 150bhp or so.

TBH - as much as I love Quattro's, the full-time 4x4 does definitely affect fuel consumption, so it depends on what your priorities are.

With that kind of budget, you should have no probs.

Quattro, TDi and S-Line all good things to aim for.

Test drive a 1.9 130TDi FWD, 1.9 130TDi Quattro and 2.5 180TDI Quattro and see what you think...

For most people, I'd recommend something like a a reasonable spec 1.9TDi Quattro S-Line for around £8k and retro-fit cruise control and RNS-E or anything that's not included.... 2.5TDI's are lots of fun and are pretty economical, especially on the motorways, but they are a LOT heavier and the 1.9TDi is enough for most.... plus the 1.9TDi engines have a great track record of big mileage, even when remapped to 150bhp or so.

TBH - as much as I love Quattro's, the full-time 4x4 does definitely affect fuel consumption, so it depends on what your priorities are.

Fuel consumption wise, i currently drive a V6 vectra that returns if i'm lucky 32mpg, so anything above that and i'm happy. What's RNS-E? Exactly how easy are things to retrofit? Can one retrofit the computer in lue of the basic trip comp?

Thanks Xmay, some nice casrs in tehre, didn't think i'd be able to get as new cars as some of those for my money.

Main thing is to be patient and not rush. In my opinion, the sport or S-Line are the better spec'd cars. The seats are great!
RNSE is the Audi SatNav/stereo sytem. As long as you get a car with a double DIN (i think thats what its called), it should be easy to fit. You can tell if it has this by looking to see if there is a space under the stereo/aircon unit. Space= single din therefore no retro fit of RNSE.
Good luck

Main thing is to be patient and not rush. In my opinion, the sport or S-Line are the better spec'd cars. The seats are great!
RNSE is the Audi SatNav/stereo sytem. As long as you get a car with a double DIN (i think thats what its called), it should be easy to fit. You can tell if it has this by looking to see if there is a space under the stereo/aircon unit. Space= single din therefore no retro fit of RNSE.
Good luck
Did your S-Line come with the spec you've listed in your sig or have you added things? I quite like toys so things like the full trip computer would be grand!!

Mine had everything apart from the Milltek and the angel eyes.
I'm assuming that the moonroof was an optional extra when it was purchased, (Audi dont give you that kind of thing for free).
As for the cruise control, I'm not sure it was standard or an extra but i hear that they are not hard to fit as some guy's here have done it themselves.

I've also noticed that not many of the s-lines on A/T have leather mostly cloth!! Is the cloth trim as comfortable as the leather (man, i must sound fussy!!)? Is the DIS the advanced trip computer? What exactly is the difference in the two and can you see from a pic (as in on A/T) whether it has one or the other?

I've also noticed that not many of the s-lines on A/T have leather mostly cloth!! Is the cloth trim as comfortable as the leather (man, i must sound fussy!!)? Is the DIS the advanced trip computer? What exactly is the difference in the two and can you see from a pic (as in on A/T) whether it has one or the other?

The late B6 S-Lines have half leather as standard and full as an option. The B7's i think will have leather as an option. I've driven both cloth and leather and tbh i think i prefer the 1/2 leather, though it's what you like, it's the sports seats that make the difference, much more support.
You have two types of DIS, one that just gives the basic info ie outside temp, miles till empty, radio/cd info and checks on car. The other gives the former plus average milage, fuel consumption, speed for single trips as well as since last reset.
In pictures it may not be able to be seen, but look for a toggle switch on the end of the right hand wiper stalk.

If Im talking sh*yt, someone pls pls correct me as I know there are people out there who know a lot more than me!

So i think i've settled for (when the times comes) a 1.9/2.0tdi S-line in the B7 shape, what i'd like to know is did these have, as standard auto wipers/lights?

And also, just how easy is it to fit the cruise, and how much would it cost?

Cheers :)

So i think i've settled for (when the times comes) a 1.9/2.0tdi S-line in the B7 shape, what i'd like to know is did these have, as standard auto wipers/lights?

No B6 model had auto wipers, not sure about the B7's maybe someone in that forum can advise?

VWCruise will fit cruise control for £240.

BTW The 1.9 as a B7 is the 115bhp model, not the 130bhp model. Only 130BHP in a B6. 2.0TDI is available in both 140BHP and 170BHP in the B7.

Whats the 140hp model like sluggish, or does it have enough poke to get it going without a problem? I take it without the owner actually knowing what they've got there's no way of telling on sight? Many of the cars i've looked at online don't state which power they are.