changing from 4 spoke to 3 spoke steering wheel

mrjheeta

Reaction score
Hi,

Im looking to change from a 4 spoke steering wheel to a 3 spoke sports wheel. I can get the steering wheel and airbag, just wondering will I need the ECU from the steering wheel as well (i think its an ECU, the controller thing)?

Thanks,
G.

i've bought the steering wheel lol, dunno if anything is different, gonna install it next week (when i get it) n c how it goes...

Yeah give it a whack, Im sure its the same slip ring because there is no buttons or anything different. Don't forget some pics

yep, will do. will do it first thing after exams finish! and my parking sensors, and the rs4 RARB. all after exams... :(

Yeah I have a list of stuff to fit after my finals as well!

prob not relevant, ive changed 4 spoke to 3 spoke on my b5 had no issues, i just made sure i did not start or move the car while changing it, think i disconected the battery as well.

cheers rasa4, there was a link to a write up about changing the steering wheel and it said the same thing, d/c the battery...

drop the battery for about an hour before removing the airbag, capasitors will hold a charge, hence leaving it an hour to discharge.
as long as your not adding a multi function wheel then its a straight swap, no problems at all.
i did one for father in law at the weekend, easy job.
hope this helps

cheers guys for the replies. i'll hopefully get it soon then put some pics on (although most of you probably have the 3 spoke lol)

I am hoping to acquire a 4 spoke B6 MFSW for my Avant...so I will have a 3 spoke sports steering wheel with airbag and slipring for sale....
For info my 3 spoke steering wheel only has 50K miles on it and is in A1 condition....PM me if interested.....

sorry mate, i already bought one just as i put this thread up. im looking for the guide as to remove the steering wheel it was up about a week ago, anybody know?

Remember to unplug your battery before you touch your airbag.

Pull the tabs out the back of the wheel (either side of the airbag) then you will see two screws. Once these are out you will be able to remove the airbag.
Unclip connector and you will then see the big nut that holds the wheel on, before you undo this remember to mark the top of the nut with a marker and the piece behind, so when you do it all back up it all lines up and is tight!
I'm not certain on torque setting though! someone else may know that one!

cheers pjm! there was a guide on here (or maybe a link to another site) that had a step by step picture of how to do it, i dont want to mess anything up n i certainly dont want it to vibrate at 70mph! im gonna give it a go tomorrow anyway, see how it goes.

Where you get your RS4 RARB from and how much it cost?

i havent got the rs4 arb yet, but will be at the end of this month or early next month, will be getting it through pjmspeedy!