New S4 what should i know?

glenc

Reaction score
Hi,

My first post here and just looking for some ideas and info

Im hopefully buying a 2003 S4 avant today!!!!

Well excited, any thing i should look out for fault wise?

Also the first things im looking to do are exhaust and wheels, what options do i have?
I have about a grand to hopfully cover both?

Any pics of modded s4 advant would be great can find any as yet..

I know i should use search but theres so much on here and ill get in ***** if i keep surfing at work....

Thanks in advance

Hi Glen, welcome and congratulations on the impending purchase :)

I am not too familiar with the S4, but coil pack failure is the only real issue I have heard about. Always keep a spare in the car it would seem!

Exhaust wise from what other S4 driver say a Milltek system is where it's at! I don't have figures but I don't think you would have too much left from your £1k - but worth it I'm sure :yes:

Personally I don't think you can beat the exisiting wheels, and fitting some aftermarket wheel may actually detract from the looks of the car IMO! What colour is it?

The only exception to aftermarket wheels I have seen are in THIS thread which look :o.k:

The only thing I can think of is the Timing chain rattle on start up and also the Aux radiators leaking. check the service history and ask it any of these have been done or replaced. more info on www.rs246.com

coil packs (gone on both my S4 saloon and cab) - though no real way of checking whether they will fail, seems to be random

Aux Rads . . . get the front of the car jacked up, and stick your head under the two radiators either side of the bottom bumper. If you can see dried collant leakage your looking at £500+ to repair

Wheels - Avus look class. . . if you want to swap, my S4 cab came with OEM 5 spoke RS6 style - give me a shout

Exhaust - just put a milltek non res on mine ,cost £719. . . but defo worth it to hear the V8 growl, sounds just like my RS 6 now

get some picks up

Sorry to go off the subject!

Timing chain rattle on start up

Any chance you could expand on this??
Mine makes a noise like a clockwork toy being wound up on start up!!
Only does it when cold though.
Is it serious?
How much to fix?

Cheers

Ryan

coil packs (gone on both my S4 saloon and cab) - though no real way of checking whether they will fail, seems to be random

Aux Rads . . . get the front of the car jacked up, and stick your head under the two radiators either side of the bottom bumper. If you can see dried collant leakage your looking at £500+ to repair

Wheels - Avus look class. . . if you want to swap, my S4 cab came with OEM 5 spoke RS6 style - give me a shout

Exhaust - just put a milltek non res on mine ,cost £719. . . but defo worth it to hear the V8 growl, sounds just like my RS 6 now

get some picks up

Is the non res not to loud? whats it like motorway crusing?

yes its loud ! thats the point of it

on the cab chassis it is a bit boomy at 2k revs under load

but once you open it up its glorious

on the motorway its more on less silent once you've got cruise control on

c

I seem to be losing fluid from my header tank quite regularly....could it be the rads or maybe a leak from the tank itself..what is the easiest way of checking under the header tank without taking it apart....