hi to all,whats the best tyres for audi

lm51ozr

Reaction score
:blackrs4::greyrs4:hi to all,just wish to ask if any one got a preference,or know wich are the best tyres for my audi a4 s line 190,plus whats the best mods to do to it,
i,e remap,air filter,exhaust,zenon lights,plus things to watch out for??????

hi and welcome

pirelli rosso is the tyres i would recommend

remap get done at revo centres, few about

green cotton do a direct replacment or k+n do a cold air intake
as well as others

exhaust... milltech all the way but powerflow will build you one from scratch

xenon lights..theres plenty of threads on this site to help you on this

things to watch out for? check the site out, lots and lots of pages on that one

google is your friend:)

i have the same car and i have a metal O.CT intake turbo pipe and a remap and all i can say is what a difference !!!!! unbelievable really smooth power curve and feels fast as to me :) i think its about 240bhp and the same torque
tyre wise ive got dunlop sport maxx gt,s on which are fitted standard on an S5 so they are good enough for mine

sorry to nit-pick here, but this sounds weird (and I'm worried that it'll mislead other people into thinking it'll give them a faster car without stressing out the turbo/clutch/gearbox): what have they done with the remap if the torque is the same, but 30% more power?

Unless you completely change the cam profile and turbo geometry (as well as a bucket-load of other stuff), you're highly unlikely to keep the same torque and increase the horsepower.

If what you're saying is accurate, the 1.8T 190bhp peaks at just under 6000rpm, so it now peaks at around 7500rpm-8000rpm? Normally a remap and freeing up the airflow will only buy you another 500rpm?

Are you sure there's not just more torque through the mid-range which make the car feel a bit "beefier" (which is often done purely through mid-range torque and therefore more horsepower available at lower revs, but with little or no increase in peak bhp)?

What were the readings on the dyno (rolling road)? It's the only way to separate how a car feels versus what has actually been done to it.

Normally better airflow and induction increases the torque, through the mid-range and also at higher revs, which means that if you get a remap which is designed for a car with better / colder airflow, it will take advantage of having more air to mix in and forther boost the turbo (therefore yet more torque) and in doing so, you can effectively shift the torque curve up and slightly the right, so it results in higher peak bhp (and a lot more response throughout the rev range).

I read it as he has 240bhp and 240 lbft torque mate, not that he has the same torque as standard?

ah - okay, that'd make a LOT more sense... sorry, I've got sucked into all the remappers using Nm to make their remaps sound bigger... so they quote bhp and Nm, for the power and toque: I know, it makes no sense really to mix imperial and metric, but I guess they're just going for whichever is the bigger number* (hence why even the Euro manufacturers and tuners often use the "PS" figures... rather than kW).

Added to that for a V6 TDI (e.g. my A4), you're looking at over 440Nm (325lb/ft) to get 240bhp, rather than 325Nm (240lb/ft), so 240-anything wasn't in my range of number's that would apply to torque.... I forgot how much petrol's trade torque for revs (which I shouldn't, given my runabout's spec ;) ).

I guess we cleared it up in case anybody digs up this thread further down the line and thanks for setting me straight! :thumbsup:

*EDIT: exactly as you've done on your sig, S3Steve ;)

I had Pirelli PZero Rossos as OE fit on my RS4 and I cannot recommend them - they only lasted 9,000 miles.

Michelin Pilot Sport 2's drove just as well but lasted 13,000 miles, currently I'm on Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics which are less than half worn after 7,000 miles and I'd recommend them because they drive well, make less road noise and last longer.

Loads of info on tyres at this website http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

I have Goodyear Eagle Asymetrics which give far better grip than the old Pirelli Rosso's that were on it. They were £118 each including vat and fitting and seem to be wearing quite well so far after doing about 4K miles.

what sort of life are people getting out of Toyo Proxes T1-R's?

They've always been my favourites on my old Golf (8V GTI, so FWD only), so interested to see how they'll go on my TDI Quattro.... and by the sounds of things, I'll need to replace all four pretty regularly!!

LM51 - I'd recommend looking at the Xenon's - either an OEM kit or one of these aftermarket ones, either way, they're a great mod... already looking to upgrade my Golf headlights now just for the occaisional bit of nighttime driving that I'll do... after tha A4 with Xenon's, there's no going back!

I had Pirelli PZero Rossos as OE fit on my RS4 and I cannot recommend them - they only lasted 9,000 miles.

But in the context of the thread - ie 190 1.8t, My P Zero Rossos lasted 24,500 miles, over 20,000 with the remap. (I would guess the FWD cars may use fronts faster than this though)

So guess what? I fitted another set! :thumbsup:

BUB :beerchug:

And to answer Lostbok, 240bhp and 250lbft are what you'd expect from a well remapped 190 1.8t. As for turbo,clutch and engine longevity it's up to the owner how they treat their car. But I'm over 20k miles in and my car hasn't missed a beat. :kissmyrings:

bubstar - good tyre tip - will check those out...

My comments on Jase's remap - I wasn't disputing the bhp - that's on the high-ish side for a straight remap, but very doable considering the airflow has been massaged a bit too: with a "few" extra mods, I've seen those engines pulling well over 400bhp on a dyno!

What I had got confused around (and was disputing) is that most people get the figures in kW and Nm and then usually convert the power to bhp and quote it (as you and Simon have done), in bhp & Nm... certainly not in "bhp and the same"... so what I was disputing was how he had managed to get power to around 240bhp and kept the torque "the same".... I'd read it as having the same as stock, but as Simon pointed out, if he was quoting bhp and torque in lb/ft, then they'd be similar numbers (assuming that peak power is around 50% further up the rev range to peak torque).... which I conceded was the more likely explanation, as opposed to being able to rev the car to 7500rpm purely on a remap!

I got Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's fitted in March there and am very very happy with them.

Cam - how much were they (and for what size tyre) and what did you have on there to compare previously?

I recently took my toyo's off mine, never did like them, was getting too much road noise strangely.
Replaced with Avon's which are crap but only temp whilst I choose my new wheels & road noise has gone.

I paid £440 inc delivery (got free fitting sorted as well) for 4 Sessanta's at 235/40 R18 size. That was from mytyres.co.uk

Moved from Dunlop SP Sports which i hated!

The only slight downside i would say about the Sessanta's is that the grip level when the tyre is cold is very poor. However given that you shouldn't be horsing it anyway when the engine is cold its not too much of an issue really. Grip levels rise pretty quickly as the tyre heats up and i've been very impressed with them overall.

Cant comment on the life expectancy of them yet as only 2500 miles into it, but so far so good.

They look the part as well!

I read it as he has 240bhp and 240 lbft torque mate, not that he has the same torque as standard?

thats what i meant steve 240 ish bhp and the same ish torque but i need it on the rollers tbh. i think the metal intake pipes make a difference especially on mapped cars as they dont compress under the increased boost :)

But in the context of the thread - ie 190 1.8t, My P Zero Rossos lasted 24,500 miles, over 20,000 with the remap.
If you quoted my post in context, i.e. how I compared the PZeros, the PS2 and the F1 Assymetrics (9k miles, 13k miles and still going strong after 7k miles), I think that the PZeros are a bad choice whatever the model - because their life, in my experience, is much less than other tyre makes.

Pirelli won't be seeing a single penny of my money...

Not really Dave, you're still not comparing like for like. The RS4 has over 400bhp and monster torque. It also weighs a good bit more than a humble FWD 1.8t.

My boss has got a 2.0TDi B7 cab. He managed to kill the front Conti Sport 2's in less than 10k. Doesn't really prove anything IMO.

Like I said I'm more than happy with both life and grip on the Rossos.

:icon_thumright:

Not really Dave, you're still not comparing like for like. The RS4 has over 400bhp and monster torque. It also weighs a good bit more than a humble FWD 1.8t.

My boss has got a 2.0TDi B7 cab. He managed to kill the front Conti Sport 2's in less than 10k. Doesn't really prove anything IMO.

Like I said I'm more than happy with both life and grip on the Rossos.

:icon_thumright:

i wanted to try the rosso,s bub but i was on a budget and opted for the sp sport maxx gt

Doesn't the 2.0TDi have more torque than the RS4?

Given that the 2.5TDi Quattro does, I'm guessing that at very least the 170bhp version of the 2.0 will do too...

Doesn't the 2.0TDi have more torque than the RS4?

Given that the 2.5TDi Quattro does, I'm guessing that at very least the 170bhp version of the 2.0 will do too...

acyually lost a 2.0 tdi 170 gave me a bit of stick upto a higher speed the other day i was quite impressed :)

I've done several hundred miles in an A6 2.0TDI S-Line with paddle shift (DSG, I think!) and that was very impressive in a straight line, given the weight of the car.

Less impressive in the corners though, lots of understeer and very hard to generate any lift-off oversteer.... the A4 Quattro definitely a lot more fun to drive.

To stay vaguely "on-thread": I'm sorry, not sure what tyres the A6 had, think they were Bridgestones or whatever AVIS put on them ;)

It'd be an interesting choice between a 3.0TDI Quattro and 2.0TDI Quattro when I get around to replacing mine, but that's a few years away yet!

Not really Dave, you're still not comparing like for like.
Three makes of tyres on the same car... so it's a valid comparison of the three different tyres.

And as others have said the torque of the TDi engines is up there with the RS4.

There's talk that Audi are going to start doing RSxD models, now that would be a real test of tyres and quattro
:hubbahubba: