EM TuningVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

quattro confusion

I am looking to buy a 2.5 tdi quattro sport 180bhp of 02-03 reg please can someone clarify for me how the quattro system works I have been told various answers some say part time some full time etc.

Looking forward to some clarity on this subject

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    i would put money on it being permenant 4 wheel drive

taken from All Wheel Driven website

Starting from 1998 on Audi A4/S4, A6/S6, A8/S8 with both manual and automatic transmissions. Also on VW Passat and Phaeton 4motion.
    Full-time all wheel drive.
    Torsen center differential, 50/50 split in normal conditions, automatically locking with up to 80% of torque transfer to either axle.
    Open rear differential, Electronic Differential Lock.
    Open front differential, Electronic Differential Lock.

4th Gear

Status
    Yep...its a permanent 4 wheel drive system in the B6 2.5TDi Quattro.....so the good news it handles brilliantly (especially with an RS4 anti roll bar at the back)...however, there has been very little snow in the past 2 winters up here in the sunny North West of England so I have not been able to check out the quattro system performance envelope

.......the bad news is that all 4 tyres (235/40/ZR18) only last for about 15K miles (Pirelli Rosso's)...I would not even bother with Fulda's etc...
    Monza Silver A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro (170) - Heated Alcantara Leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Folding Door Miirrors, Electric Tailgate, Privacy Glass, etc

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers chaps thanks for the info, johnboyc I only live a stones throw away from you I am clitheroe based.

4th Gear

Status
    Well, if you fancy a test drive just PM me :-)
    Monza Silver A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro (170) - Heated Alcantara Leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Folding Door Miirrors, Electric Tailgate, Privacy Glass, etc

6th Gear

Status
    A4/A5/A6/A8/R8/Q5/Q7 quattro = Torsen = full time

A3/TT quattro = Haldex = part-time
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnboyC View Post
    however, there has been very little snow in the past 2 winters up here in the sunny North West of England so I have not been able to check out the quattro system performance envelope
    I have It's almost embarressing how easy it is to drive past people slipping and sliding all over the place!

The best thing is how you can boot it out of junctions in the wet and fill small gaps in the traffic that would be unavailable to cars with twice the horsepower
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

BahnStormer

Status
    what PetroDave said

a friend has the R32 Golf and says even the much heavier and less revvy 2.5TDI Quattro pulls away more cleanly than his Haldex based Quattro (which is the same as the TT and S3)
    and what Jimbo said too... oh yeah baby... especially good fun in really heavy rain and you have to pull into 50mph A-road traffic where my Golf (8V GTI) would be bouncing the front wheels and scrabling to get away...
    Last edited by BahnStormer77; 3rd May 2009 at 10:22.
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

4th Gear

Status
    You won't be dissapointed in the Quattro belive me. I have had the Golf V6 4WD R32 and now my second 180 Quattro Sport and it sticks like glue. And yes its permanent 4WD.

Quote Originally Posted by simontdi View Post
    I am looking to buy a 2.5 tdi quattro sport 180bhp of 02-03 reg please can someone clarify for me how the quattro system works I have been told various answers some say part time some full time etc.

Looking forward to some clarity on this subject
    Torque the Torque

BahnStormer

Status
    Simon - take JohnboyC up on his offer, but wait for a day when it's BUCKETING it down... :D
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

BahnStormer

Status
    and there's some Great (sorry, puin intended!) links off the AllWheelDriven site that Tony the Tiger linked to:

Audi Quattro info

Torsen 4WD info

Haldex "4WD" (bah!) info

Audi's quattro generations
    LostBok/BahnStormer77

4th Gear

Status
    ...and having spent 38 of my 48 years in Kent and the last 10 years in the Norf West take it from me it does bucket down a lot up here....

Just wish my company would move to Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorset, Somerset, Devon or Cornwall.........

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by JohnboyC View Post
    Just wish my company would move to Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorset, Somerset, Devon or Cornwall.........
    My neck got quite sunburnt yesterday, must try and remember some sun screen today

BahnStormer

Status
    yep - had the Golf out yesterday, roof down all the way.... sunblock on though... experience
    LostBok/BahnStormer77

4th Gear

Status
    Hey - you guys trying to make me feel envious cos - YOU ARE !!

Neutral

Status
    would it be bad of me to say i been out in my cab and only just got in,
    neck a little red tho...

4th Gear

Status
    Can I just say this is now off topic - grizzle !

6th Gear

Status
    In the snow we had earlier this year it was hilarious, I drove straight past many "stranded" cars in my RS4. The combination of permanent (Torsen) 4WD and ESP made it an absolute doddle to drive on roads that other people were unable to move on - the best example was the BMW 3 series who couldn't even do a 3 point turn outside our house.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    In the snow we had earlier this year it was hilarious, I drove straight past many "stranded" cars in my RS4. The combination of permanent (Torsen) 4WD and ESP made it an absolute doddle to drive on roads that other people were unable to move on - the best example was the BMW 3 series who couldn't even do a 3 point turn outside our house.
    I had very similar experiences, tbh it has to be seen to be believed just how awesome quattro grips in snow. To feel each tyre biting into the snow is a very satisfying experience!

to the BM's

BahnStormer

Status
    what, with the Quattro's or the sunburn?

sadly, I have to get each type of kick in a separate car... the Golf's my silly runabout, but you'd loose fillings in it and can't hold a conversation it's so loud and when I got the Quattro I went for practicality over suntan as I needed a four-door.... nearly went Avant!
    LostBok/BahnStormer77