quattro confusion

simontdi

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 2.5 tdi quattro sport 180bhp of 02-03 reg please can someone clarify for me how the quattro system works I have been told various answers some say part time some full time etc.

Looking forward to some clarity on this subject :banghead:

i would put money on it being permenant 4 wheel drive

taken from All Wheel Driven website

Starting from 1998 on Audi A4/S4, A6/S6, A8/S8 with both manual and automatic transmissions. Also on VW Passat and Phaeton 4motion.
Full-time all wheel drive.
Torsen center differential, 50/50 split in normal conditions, automatically locking with up to 80% of torque transfer to either axle.
Open rear differential, Electronic Differential Lock.
Open front differential, Electronic Differential Lock.

Yep...its a permanent 4 wheel drive system in the B6 2.5TDi Quattro.....so the good news it handles brilliantly (especially with an RS4 anti roll bar at the back)...however, there has been very little snow in the past 2 winters up here in the sunny North West of England so I have not been able to check out the quattro system performance envelope :notme:

.......the bad news is that all 4 tyres (235/40/ZR18) only last for about 15K miles (Pirelli Rosso's)...I would not even bother with Fulda's etc...

Cheers chaps thanks for the info, johnboyc I only live a stones throw away from you I am clitheroe based.

A4/A5/A6/A8/R8/Q5/Q7 quattro = Torsen = full time

A3/TT quattro = Haldex = part-time

however, there has been very little snow in the past 2 winters up here in the sunny North West of England so I have not been able to check out the quattro system performance envelope

I have :yes: It's almost embarressing how easy it is to drive past people slipping and sliding all over the place! :moa:

The best thing is how you can boot it out of junctions in the wet and fill small gaps in the traffic that would be unavailable to cars with twice the horsepower :yes:

what PetroDave said :thumbsup:

a friend has the R32 Golf and says even the much heavier and less revvy 2.5TDI Quattro pulls away more cleanly than his Haldex based Quattro (which is the same as the TT and S3)
and what Jimbo said too... oh yeah baby... :rockwoot:especially good fun in really heavy rain and you have to pull into 50mph A-road traffic where my Golf (8V GTI) would be bouncing the front wheels and scrabling to get away...

You won't be dissapointed in the Quattro belive me. I have had the Golf V6 4WD R32 and now my second 180 Quattro Sport and it sticks like glue. And yes its permanent 4WD.

I am looking to buy a 2.5 tdi quattro sport 180bhp of 02-03 reg please can someone clarify for me how the quattro system works I have been told various answers some say part time some full time etc.

Looking forward to some clarity on this subject :banghead:

...and having spent 38 of my 48 years in Kent and the last 10 years in the Norf West take it from me it does bucket down a lot up here....:whistle2:

Just wish my company would move to Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorset, Somerset, Devon or Cornwall.........

yep - had the Golf out yesterday, roof down all the way.... sunblock on though... experience ;)

In the snow we had earlier this year it was hilarious, I drove straight past many "stranded" cars in my RS4. The combination of permanent (Torsen) 4WD and ESP made it an absolute doddle to drive on roads that other people were unable to move on - the best example was the BMW 3 series who couldn't even do a 3 point turn outside our house.

In the snow we had earlier this year it was hilarious, I drove straight past many "stranded" cars in my RS4. The combination of permanent (Torsen) 4WD and ESP made it an absolute doddle to drive on roads that other people were unable to move on - the best example was the BMW 3 series who couldn't even do a 3 point turn outside our house.

I had very similar experiences, tbh it has to be seen to be believed just how awesome quattro grips in snow. To feel each tyre biting into the snow is a very satisfying experience!

:moa: to the BM's

what, with the Quattro's or the sunburn?

sadly, I have to get each type of kick in a separate car... the Golf's my silly runabout, but you'd loose fillings in it and can't hold a conversation it's so loud and when I got the Quattro I went for practicality over suntan as I needed a four-door.... nearly went Avant!