S4 Front Grille

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between a normal grille and an S4 one? I have searched Google images for a decent pic but it's hard to make out the details. It looks like the upright bars are chromed? And the whole grille is a different colour too is it? Anyone know what the colour is called? Or has anyone converted a standard grille to an S4 one?

If anyone with an S4 grille would be so kind as to post some nice close up pics for me I would be very grateful :o.k:

James.

Dont know about the S4 grill.

You can buy horizontal chrome bars for standard grills CLICK HERE! Another cheapo mod!

Hmmm good find thanks for that, has anyone done that? Not sure if it doesn't look a bit 'bling'? :think: I think the S4 grilles have chrome uprights not horizontals for the pics.

I am thinking of doing this:

5259_9e9ebc002cd03bf5f37b0fbe0c8fece3.jpg

.....after a thread I have seen on Audizine. I am very keen to improve the standard looks of my car, but it needs to be super duper cheap this year! I am thinking if I can make both my standard grilles look like S4 ones, and add the Cupra splitter then that will be the front sorted.

Just need to know the finer details of the S4 grille .....

100_1299.jpg

100_1345.jpg

100_1393.jpg

Here you go James, The S4 is alot more Fuller, Beefy. Was worth the £65 delivered when Vagparts were trading but sellers these days want £100+.

I prefered it Black though..

Brilliant thats just what I was looking for, thanks J7USS!

Doesn't look like an easy job to make mine look like that! I guess maybe some chrome on the uprights and a respray might be a step in the right direction, and I could do both top and bottom grilles to match. As you say probably be £200 for a pair of S4 one's now - can't believe no more Vagparts :mad:

I remember buying mine from vagparts for £38 + vat, them were the days!!

They were indeed!

Cheers for the link, there seem to be plenty about at that sort of money, but the problem is with the amount I have spent on the engine(s) already this year, I was more hoping I could spend £10 on a couple of can of spray paint and some chrome trim to make one up.

Keep the idea's coming please ...........

Just blakout grills.. like this

IMGP3166.JPG

Just Satin black spray from Halfords and plastic primer too.

Yeah I had thought of that, but I don't know if it will look that good on a dark grey car :uhm:

Although they look quite good on that black car!

Picture of the car taken today with the new mirrors, what are opinions on blacking out the chrome on the grill? I'm not sure it would suit my car which is already quite dark .... :unsure:

Just the trim not the rings :noway:

Emma011.jpg

With the tone you already have, me personally would leave it.It all blends nicely.

You got what I got, Itchy fingers...I look at my motor and think, right then, what I can I do next.:think:...there is always something to do next whether its the tinyest touch or a front end change :shrug:

Lol you know me too well :hi:

Will perhaps get a Cupra splitter on and go from there.

i put a black grille on my black avant which didnt look right IMO as it has ali mirrors etc would be nice if there was a surround which was brushed or matt ali

There you go James, Jase has gave you your next task. You'd be the first and you never know, it could be a good addition.

would be nice if there was a surround which was brushed or matt ali

Interesting :salute:

Not sure I am brave enough to do this with my grille - but if I can source one cheap and spray it up Avus silver with the wheels and the mirrors it might look good. Would contrast nicely with the chrome rings too.

:cool:

Interesting :salute:

Not sure I am brave enough to do this with my grille - but if I can source one cheap and spray it up Avus silver with the wheels and the mirrors it might look good. Would contrast nicely with the chrome rings too.

:cool:

that would look real good IMO would look spot on the same colour. :)

Replacement top grille sourced cheaply via ebay :) for experimental purposes.....

Can anyone let me know a paint code or even roughly what colour the centre of an S4 grille is?

ill buy one and have an experiment myself james see what we end up with :)

I am going to spray the outer trim the same silver as the wheels/mirrors initially, and then see how it looks and make a decision about whether I do the rings too - I imagine I probably will. And then if it all looks good I will source a lower grille too and do the same :thumbsup:

What are you thinking ...?

Yeah I had thought of that, but I don't know if it will look that good on a dark grey car :uhm:

Although they look quite good on that black car!

James here ya go, I got some 32mm wide black tape and set about taping up the grills on the S6, here is an after pic or two. The main reason in getting the tape was to cover the corroded alu strip along the rear of the car, I did this too.

DSCF0079.jpg

DSCF0081.jpg

Rear before

3261169506_2363a67286.jpg

After

DSCF0083.jpg

I think it is basically 32mm wide insulation tape, you can get 25mm 3M tape cheap enough, must be worth a shot..

Lol Dammit now I'm confused :think:

I think that looks really good :o.k: On a darker coloured car like your's and mine I wasn't expecting it to! How long are you planning to leave the tape on do you know? Did you do it just as a trial or are you going to keep it on there if it works ok?

Did you manage to get it to fit neatly round the corners in one piece, or did you have to end up with joins?

Not sure If I will actually spray the actual grill, I like the option of changing it back if need be. I did the grills in 4 parts, top & bottom then the sides. The sides overlap with a join, but it looks fine unless your being really piccy and there are plenty of other small marks etc on the car, so it looks no worse than any of those.

Have a go, I think it will look good on your motor, mean euro look

As I say i have another grille on it's way to me, and I will certainly be trying the tape trick before any spraying takes place! I think the dark grille will look good against the chrome rings :cool:

Cheers :beerchug:

******** mate, I totally forgot about that vinyl you wanted. Apologies!!!

Get your lights in the oven James, dont be scared of the joey mod.

Using this:

Grille010.jpg

Standard 50mm black insulation tape I got this:

Grille005.jpg

The tape was nice and warm and although pretty fiddly I managed to stretch and twist it round the corners with no visible kinks or air bubbles and only end up with one join:

Grille004.jpg

I am quite pleased with how it looks :photo: Lower grille removed and cleaned and will be done tomorrow. What do you think?

Grille009.jpg

Wow!!!

Thats some Neat Work there James - Looks Good.

where did you get the tape from ?

Local electrical factors , £2 ;)

Will spray them satin black in due course I expect as I think the tape will get tatty in time - I just wanted to make sure they looked ok in black first.

Looking good there James. So is the Bank Holiday project the lower grille?

Good work James :thumbsup: I was tempted to this but as the chrome around my windows are starting to look tatty, perhaps I'll tape it all up and just have the shiny roof bars :think:

I was tempted to this but as the chrome around my windows are starting to look tatty, perhaps I'll tape it all up and just have the shiny roof bars :think:

I think that would look ok, I reckon the chrome trim would be hard to tape up well but I have seen it done places.

I think the electrical tape is very much a temporary thing though to establish whether you like the look of the car, I wouldn't rely on it for permanent. You could try one of the products in THIS thread if you were thinking of that though.

Anyone know how well these tape cover ups last with regular washing etc How difficult is it to reove the grill surrounds?

Anyone know how well these tape cover ups last with regular washing etc How difficult is it to reove the grill surrounds?

Can't answer the first bit as I have just fitted mine tonight! I will be spraying it soon if I decide to stick to the black. I can't see they will last that well, but there are specific trim tapes available which will be much more robust I imagine.

The grille surround is a bit fiddly, just use a small screwdriver and ease the clips out of the black plastic. The two clips at each end are very fragile though so be careful and just take your time. If you pop the grille out it will be obvious.

Did the lower grille today - it was a fiddly b*stard so I'm not posting any close up's :noway:

Looks good though, won't be long till I spray them :)

Grille011.jpg

Grille013.jpg

Grille014.jpg