AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    nj

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Woorlord View Post
    For all you lazy bods out there who do not posses a ruler here are the plate dimensions I have measured that should fit the OEM recess.
    haha. thanks mate. I'm not lazy, I promise. I just need to do the install quite quickly since there's a snowstorm outside and it's about -5
    Anybody selling a polisher? PM me.
    -----------------------------------
    A4 B6 3.0 Quattro Sport Avant

2. # ADS
    ADS

---__---

Status
    For all you lazy bods out there who do not posses a ruler here are the plate dimensions I have measured that should fit the OEM recess. Note that the actual recess is 136mm x 93mm, so the plate should fit if cut to 135mm x 95mm. I have also measured the position of the holes which should also line up - but may need a little fine tuning!

I have taken these measurements from a broken headlight I have lying around my garage - these are not from the plates I made myself previously but probably not far off.

We already grateful you measured it for us but you said: ''so the plate should fit if cut to 135mm x 95mm'' , but your drawing shows 92 mm
    So is it 92 or 95mm? my guess is 92mm. Can you confirm pls
    Last edited by John_; 10th November 2010 at 09:30.

nj

Status
    actually could you just make 2 for me, pre-drill them and drop round to fit them too?

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fourcircle View Post
    haha. thanks mate. I'm not lazy, I promise. I just need to do the install quite quickly since there's a snowstorm outside and it's about -5
    You can do the work on the headlight inside in the nice warmth of your home! Easy to remove - just the electrical plug is a real pain thou to unplug.

Quote Originally Posted by John_ View Post
    We already grateful you measured it for us but you said: ''so the plate should fit if cut to 135mm x 95mm'' , but your drawing shows 92 mm
    So is it 92 or 95mm? my guess is 92mm. Can you confirm pls
    Ooops typo yes it's 92mm - have corrected original post.

actually could you just make 2 for me, pre-drill them and drop round to fit them too?
    I'll get them Gold plated also so you do not need to paint them - should be with you by Christmas.
    Last edited by Woorlord; 10th November 2010 at 14:55.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

nj

Status
    I'll get them Gold plated also so you do not need to paint them - should be with you by Christmas.
    Good man. Make sure to go round the back to the staff entrance. the butler will let you in.

nj

Status
    I pulled my lights out today and finally got a chance to finish installing the HIDs tonight after the kids were in bed. what a difference! If my hands weren't so frozen after handling a ratchett and sockets in -5 I would have hung about longer to admire them

CMD
    Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Status
    I pulled my lights out today and finally got a chance to finish installing the HIDs tonight after the kids were in bed. what a difference! If my hands weren't so frozen after handling a ratchett and sockets in -5 I would have hung about longer to admire them
    S**T That's dedication.
    AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.

WWW.PR-DETAILING.CO.UK CERTIFIED DETAILERS

nj

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CMD View Post
    S**T That's dedication.
    haha. I'm stupid for not doing it before now. And if I wait any longer it will just get colder. holding a ratchett in -30s in January anyone? yoiks!

CMD
    Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Status
    If the temp droped to -30 here in Wales i would just lock the door's and hibernate

AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.

WWW.PR-DETAILING.CO.UK CERTIFIED DETAILERS

nj

Status
    haha. thankfully it's expected here for a brief spell and people are equipped for it. Not a lot of people go outside unless they have to though. Even with an engine heater a car will take a bit of warming up. Roll on building a house with a big heated garage!! No more tools stuck to my hands when attempting mods in the winter

edit** Sorry. Way off topic. I'll stop now.
    Last edited by fourcircle; 14th November 2010 at 22:31. Reason: off on a tangent

The're Graphite not black!!

Status
    I read all this some time ago and now re-reading it as i am about to purchase mine i am a little confused.
    I have a B6 Quattro sport but don't have DIS
    Should i buy these
    CANBUS Xenon HID Conversion KIT H1 H7 H11 HB3 HB4 HB4 3 on eBay (end time 01-Mar-11 12:05:00 GMT)

with the error modules or

these without
    Xenon HID Conversion KIT H1 H3 H7 H9 H11 HB3 HB4 9006 on eBay (end time 14-Feb-11 11:11:17 GMT)

Fingers are itching now.

Official Fan Club member No 001!!

3rd Gear

Status
    Regardless of DIS or not, buy the ones with the error modules, all B6's have CANBUS wiring and you will get error codes if you don't have the blocks...

I am finishing building my new headlight units with the slim ballasts this week and will have them fitted by Thursday.....
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

Status
    Just got mine today and fitted the drivers passenger side. At a push i could fit the ignitor inside the headlight just like woorlord did but would have to cut off the old gromits. Question is has anyone found a place to mount the code prevention module as its quite large. Would really like to make it all self contained in the headlight if possible.

1st Gear

Status
    Got mine in the post today too, after much too'ing and fro'ing from HID-Direct as they wouldnt change my order!

Mine are a fully all in one unit:

Single beam Canbus Pro HID Conversion kit - Xenon HID Headlight Upgrade Kits from HIDs DIRECT Ltd

everything seems to be built into the ballast, I am hoping this makes an easy instal and hopefully no error messages

Quiet impressed with the siz of the thing as everything is in one box. Photo taken next to my highlighter for size:

2004 A4 Quattro 190 S-Line - Akoya Silver, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Full interior lighting pack. - Now sold... Gutted miss is already!

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Its amazing how much smaller they are, mine are a couple of years old now so I expect they're even smaller these days:

Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

3rd Gear

Status
    Avant4me,

I fitted my error code cancellers to the top of the top of the headlight unit on the inside, there is a flat section just above the reflector unit that they will fit into, secured the same way as the HV unit, with double sided pads, keeps everything contained as per Woorlords guide, you just need a bit of trial and error as to where the cables go as it is a tight fit....

Steve
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

Status
    I feel some trial and error, swearing and sore fingers coming on. Was considering making a plate like woorlord did, but cutting out the original headlight base where he cut the 40mm whole, that would give a lot more room. Definitely want it all inside the headlight as its a lot easier to remove if my MOT guy spots the conversion.

6th Gear

Status
    the MOT should be fine mine has just passed it and they did not evan notice them ;-)

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Avant4me View Post
    ................ but cutting out the original headlight base where he cut the 40mm whole, that would give a lot more room.
    For A4/B6 headlights that take the OEM Ballasts and use D1S bulbs there is a large opening - found this picture the other day on the web when researching the OEM Valeo Ballasts I recently fitted:

Left side: Factory HID headlight / Right side: H7 headlight

There is an outline of where to cut this hole on the headlight if you look carefully (on mine there is anyway.)
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

Status
    All done, cut a bigger whole so i could get the ignitor inside the unit. Code module fitted to roof of headlight with sticky pads, ignitor put in endways alongside bulb holder, and ballast underneath. Just waiting on my steel plates to act as a heat sink and seal it all up underneath.

1st Gear

Status
    From time to time my amber brake light warning light comes on. The light doesn't work. However, when the warning light goes out, the brake light works. It can happen at any time with the lights on or off.

I thought it might be down to the position of the HID ballast so, I've repositioned it. Would you guys take a look and see if it's ok to leave it here please.

Thanks

PS the radio is still poor with the lights on.

[IMG][/IMG]
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Thats exactly where mine is and I have no problems.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

nj

Status
    Poor radio signal with the lights on would suggest an earthing problem to me.

1st Gear

Status
    Ah ok guys thanks for that. It made no difference to the warning light. Guess I'll look elsewhere.

Poor earthing of the ballast or radio?
    2002 A4 1.9TDI Avant SE Quattro
    Revo remap
    Rotalla tyres

1st Gear

Status
    What size thread screws/bolts did you use to mount the plates to the headlight?

Trying to buy and prepare everything before I take the headlights out.

4th set of a wheels in a year

Status

My Social Networking

Visit krisavant's Instagram Channel

Slimline HID Ballasts -now fitted in Headlight

To stop ABS lights coming on...
    Re-wire the earth off the near side headlight plug.
    The headlight ground shares ground with a few other grounds, ABS being one if them.

No. 10 wire on the plug, near side headlight you need to re ground.
    Last edited by krisavant; 5th November 2013 at 22:39.

1st Gear

Status
    For anyone that doesn't have random bit of ally or perpex laying around for the bottom cover I ordered 2 pieces of 135mmx92mm 1.5mm ally from this ebay seller.

I had looked at plenty of online shops but all wanted stupid delivery prices, cost this company £1.20 to send and others were charging up to a tenner! for a few quids worth of ally.

But anyways this seller charged me £5 for the 2 sheets delivered.

2nd Gear

Status
    hi guys im thinking of upgrading my poor headlights but why are people fitting slimline and some the bigger ones, is it to tidy things up and have everything inside the headlight on slimmer ones?

Status

My Social Networking

They're all slim line these days, just got smaller through out the years.

2nd Gear

Status
    ah right cool, so if i get a set do i have to do all this cutting away at the headlight or can i just fit the ballasts and put the units down the back somewhere?

Status

My Social Networking

Some cram all the wires in by the lamp/bulb, some let it all hang out
    You will need to cut/drill hole somewhere (usually the lid) to feed wires from ballast to etc.
    Easy enough.

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry but no. Ballasts are certainly smaller but the "Slim" models you can cram everything inside the headlights which is was the DIY guide on the first page is for. If you get standard ones then they have to sit outside the headlight somewhere.

I have bought a slim set for mine which were delivered today and there the size of say 2-3 place mats stacked. Although they do have separate blocks on the wiring which is a decoder and igniter I think. I helped fit standard HID's to my mates car at the weekend and the ballast was the size of rowntrees jelly blocks!

Status

My Social Networking

Well I didn't even know they still sell the fat ones??
    Thought it was just slim line all the way these days..

1st Gear

Status
    Immitation is the greatest form of flattery....

Prepped the lights with silicon the day before, just the 1 bead did the trick for me. Aquarium silison was just what I happened to have in the tool box..

As mentioned there was a line where the standard HID hole would be, although watch where your cutting as if I followed it in some places I would of cut to the outside.

Cut out, bought a knife tip for the soldering iron, although used a hacksaw blade to cut the straights faster.

Thankyou James for the diagrams, your measurements were spot on, my drilling skills were not..... couple of holes slightly out.

There was nothing pretty about how I stuffed them inside as I had the igniter and a decoded block to fit in.

So ta..dahhhhh sprayed with Hammerite Hammered! (it's what I want to use on the brake calipers eventually)

Also did Kris's earth mod to solve the ABS issue.

Thankyou to everyone input on the guide.

Oh and M4 bolts for the holes.

Pro Tinkerer

Status
    I wish I had found this forum before I bought the Nightbreakers, as the only reason I didn't fit hids straight away was because I didn't want to cut holes into the headlight covers.

A great guide and thanks for the drawing of the plate dimensions as I can just pass it onto my old man who is a steel engineer.
    Made on the red side of Manchester

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12