Anyone tried dynolicious?

BigG

Reaction score
Hi All

I very nearly purchased a G-tech Pro SS for £155, to give me a rough guide to 0-60, BHP and 1/4 mile times.

And then came across this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DFbJQbeSY

Since seeing this I have ordered a brodit clip and iphone holder, hopefully arriving early next week.

Has anyone tried this, who can give their opinion ?

Thanks
Graeme

dont think anyone here has an iPhone mate, maybe wrong though! We is poor folks round these parts :tumble:

Always wanted an excuse to use that smiley.....:grin:

for $13 if you have the iphone, go for it mate it looks the business.

Iphones can be free on contract. :yum: I'm due a new phone and can't decide between the Nokia 5800 and Iphone. I've always looked for an alternative to the Iphone, but then applications like this are launched and it makes me want one.

Was also shown on Drivers Republic for the Q7 TDI V12:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oklT3H6_FU

i've got an i phone and it's a pain in the *** .
personlly i would get the nokia n96 .
but the i phone has some brillant applications .
but i have downloaded motion x gps on to it
and it will give you speed / distance / elapsed time / max speed

Ive got an iphone and as above, but one of the dyno apps I downloaded told me I was travelling at 347km/h.

Ive contacted the Guinness Book of Records.

i have a ipod touch so i bought dynolicious from itunes but couldnt figure out how to download it to the ipod ! ha
its in applications in itunes and thats where it will stay until i can be bothered to mess about with it,if ever .

i have a ipod touch so i bought dynolicious from itunes but couldnt figure out how to download it to the ipod ! ha
its in applications in itunes and thats where it will stay until i can be bothered to mess about with it,if ever .

It's funny you should say that.

I don't see how the app would work on the itouch, as I suspect it uses GPS to get the speed. But I thought only the iphone had GPS ??

Let me know how you get on.

No, actually the Dynolicious application uses the accelerometers that are in the iPhone to calculate speed, g force, and HP. It must be orientation-calibrated, use the net weight of the car, and must be told the % of the drivetrain loss. Then, it will tell you. I'm still experimenting with this application, however. But that's a little more detailed about it.

its not great you cant get the iphone still and using the accelerometer to measure it very very un reliable. i wouldnt bother tbh.

its not great you cant get the iphone still and using the accelerometer to measure it very very un reliable. i wouldnt bother tbh.

I've been using Dynolicious for about two weeks. I think it's an interesting enough tool, but certainly isn't a substitute for a professional dyno pull.

The iPhone uses a MEMS 3-axis accelerometer with an error of about 0.02 milligravs per 1G. That is, when measuring a 1G acceleration it may vary its reading from about 9.6 to 10.0 meters per second per second under normal operation. If you perform Dynolicious' calibration procedure, the application will store specific low-tolerance error values in each axis. This extra step plus the 400 Hz data rate (which Dynolicious seems to feed to a sliding window filter) makes it the best dyno you can get for US $13.

I put my iPhone in an Incase enclosure, which wedges very nicely and securely into the center console's largest pocket of my 2003 A4 1.8T. If you just let the phone slide around the cabin you're obviously going to get useless results. But it's not hard to fix the phone to the car. And it can be in any orientation from supine to vertical, which lends itself to a variety of ingenious mounting procedures.

...as I suspect it uses GPS to get the speed.

Almost certainly not. The GPS receiver in the iPhone is not stellar compared to a dedicated consumer GPS, and downright abysmal compared to commercial and military grade GPS. It is useful to iPhone apps only through judicious software techniques. Over about a minute of continuous sampling the iPhone GPS will converge to a stable speed across flat, level ground, but most Dynolicious runs are over in 30 seconds or less.

I'm betting the farm instead that Dynolicious integrates the measured acceleration against the iPhone's high-frequency time base. The accelerometer can deliver data at up to 400 Hz, which combines well enough with a millisecond-or-finer clock to provide a suitable integration solution. That's the standard technique used in aerospace guidance systems too.

Had dynolicious since i bought my iphone, used it a few times and seems pretty consitent, i will try and find some map's on a run I have done and post them here.

Oh and the guy who say's get a Nokia N96 over an iphone must be mad, the N96 is the worse phone I have owned, I work in IT and change my phone every 6 months and nothing can touch the iphone at the moment, I have owned n96 n97 5800, i still own the n96 and 5800 and trust me they are junk, the 5800 has a resistive screen so you have to mash the screen to get it to do anything, the N97 is the same, although the iphone is a little restricted it makes it perfect for people who just want an easy phone to use. And nothing can touch the App store :)

Bear in mind my A4 has 210k miles on the clock and is un mapped 150bhp

IMG_0006.PNG

IMG_0007.PNG

IMG_0008.PNG

IMG_0009.PNG

Last edited:
yeah i've got pocket dyno on my itouch and it was fairly accurate before and after my remap, and my friends 460whp 200sx was near enough spot on too, but in another friends x5 with sloppy suspension it showed it could scare a veyron!!