Thinking of going diesel

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have an 8L S3 and am thinking of changing cars this year. I am in the market for an A4 Avant, Originally i was gonna go for a B5 S4 2.7 twin turbo petrol but not many of them are coming up for sale as of late and i am a tad concerned about running costs eg fuel. My budget for the car will be about the 6k mark

I am now erring in the direction of diesel specifcally the 2.5tdi 180 with quattro. How good an engine is this in comparrison to other diesels?? and is it remapable and if so what are the sort of gains?? lastly as i have never driven a diesel car before would it be a reasonable swap from my S3 performance wise??

Cheers

I am now erring in the direction of diesel specifcally the 2.5tdi 180 with quattro. How good an engine is this in comparrison to other diesels?? and is it remapable and if so what are the sort of gains?? lastly as i have never driven a diesel car before would it be a reasonable swap from my S3 performance wise??

Hi Bob

I have a 2.5 180 which I like a lot. They do go quite well I reckon, I have never driven an S3 to offer a comparison (210bhp are they?) but I imagine the S3 would feel real world quicker as you would be driving with the power and the revs rather than the torque of a diesel. It is a nice smooth engine, but can be fragile. It is imperative to change the timing gear at a maximum of 80k - 60k is more preferable IMO. They can also suffer fuel pump problems which can cost £1k plus to fix. I only know one person who had it theirs remapped but it was so problematic they returned it to normal in the end. I have a tuning module on mine which is alleged to be giving 210bhp, I can't prove this but it does go much better than before! As long as they are well maintained they should be ok.

The 1.9's rated are 130bhp are relatively easily remapped to 180 or so I believe. I think to remap a 2.5 above 210bhp would be pretty expensive.

I think if you drove a 2.5 you would be pleasantly surprised just how quick they can be in real world driving.

Cheers for the response James some useful info there especially on the timing gear change.

As i have no experience of Diesels i am basically just fishing for info as i basicaly want the best performer i can get so if the any of the other diesel varients perform well i would be happy to look at them too. I recently went on a RR day with the boys from VAGOC and there were a couple of the 170 diesels there in the A3 8P form that had both been remapped and were putting out 200bhp and lots of torque.

I have also been thinking about the Volvo D5's as i have heard that they are quite good too.

BMW 330d TDi - makes 184bhp as standard, and can be mapped to 280.

Crazy power and beautiful sound, the sweetest 6 cyl diesel I ever heard honestly. If your not stuck on an audi that is :)

Look on youtube for 330d exhaust...mmmm

My 2.5 isn't a quattro, but is lovely. I changed the timing belt a 80k with a stronger water pump also. It's going to be a preference thing I think, the 2.5 is easy to use but is heavier than the 1.9 or 2.0. As for the fuel pump I can't say as mine is fine atm with 122k on the clock.

BMW 330d TDi - makes 184bhp as standard, and can be mapped to 280.

Crazy power and beautiful sound, the sweetest 6 cyl diesel I ever heard honestly. If your not stuck on an audi that is :)

Look on youtube for 330d exhaust...mmmm

the old bmw 184bhp engine is a very good engine, mine was remapped to 220bhp and it was a power house but if remapped any more than that you will have big problems as i was told from many tuners when i was looking into getting mine remapped, mainly the drive train will grumble very loudly, the clutch will burn out very quickly and the gearbox will struggle to cope with all that extra power.

yeah I was going by some of the remappers ads but it is a lovely motor eh?

The only other car I like besides the audi. I'm in 2 minds still about getting a 330d coupe or a 3.0 quattro A4.....I want an auto but not the smg or multitronic. The audi dsg or standard bmw auto would be perfect for me.

VRBOB - i've been looking around at getting mine remapped... there's a fair number of places claiming 210-230bhp, but bear in mind that that is ALL done with higher torque, especially lower in the rev-range... so the drawbacks are mostly around reduced clutch lifespan, but some people have had problems with the 180bhp 2.5TDI producing a lot of smoke when remapped.

Also - the non-Quattro's are only up to about 160bhp, so worth going Quattro on the TDI - especially if you're going for the 2.5... anythign less and you might as well go with the 1.9TDI.... but bear in mind that once remapped, although they're good for a quick blip at 170bhp*, the exhaust gas temps mean that you can start doing damage if you're goign to rag blast around pushing that hard the whole time.

*(some slightly higher, although I've not seen any higher ones with just the remap - usually involves injectors, turbo and/or intercooler work, in which case 200bhp+ is feasible, but with the increased cost and fuel consumption ou'd be better off with a 2.5TDI as a starting point!)

Cheers lostbok,

Gonna have a looksie on autotrader later to see whats about.

I had a look at that diesel tuning website posted by s-line stu and they look like some quite good results and lots of different makes and engines.

Out of interest what sort of mpg do you guys get with the 2.5tdi's standard or mapped??

Standard 2.5 around the villages about 37mpg, on the motorways if I'm cruising 40-42mpg bit of a ragging can bring that down approx 38/9 mpg.
BTW mines a 160bhp (I think)

you'll get very similar on the 180bhp quattro - quattro pulls it down, but more torque means that you spend more time in higher gears :)

I normally seem to getting around 400-500* miles until the range gets to zero (so around 45litres used): that's a pretty even 3-way mix of town, A-road (50mph) and motorway driving (80-90mph). I'd guess you'd get about 300miles if it was mostly town and 600 if it was all 70mph motorway driving.

Apparently remaps up to 210bhp get BETTER fuel economy (approx 2-3mpg) - mostly around the fact there's more torque, so more likely to stay in higher gears... the 210-230bhp remaps apparently drink more as you push it harder.... and like the 1.9TDI - if you go for bigger injectors and remap again for 250bhp+ you'll be stuffing the fuel economy completely...

*edit: I've just worked out that that's about 40-50mpg average (45litres = 10gal).... only explanation that I have is that a my longer (and most of the shorter) distance driving is preceeded by a very sedentary warm-up stretch at a very steady 50mph in 6th gear... usually for the first 2-5miles, depending on where I'm going.

VRBOB - not sure I can answer your main question 100%, but I've got some vaguely related experience... I've driven a 1.8T 150bhp A3 (FWD) and a Mk4 4motion R32 Golf: you will find the A4 Quattro 2.5TDI very apparently larger: not surprising since it's a bigger car... but also in terms of handling: it's got the proper Quattro system, not the hybrid (Haldex) system they put in the S3's and TT's, so the back it is much more obviously being driven the whole time since it's 50:50 the whole time and especially when you're throwing it hard into a long corner, the whole car is very obviously "hooked up" already and there's no differential messing around with traction until you actually ge the car to slide.

The sheer torque of TDI* means that when you're trundling along and you just want to nudge the car forwards, it's very easy to add quite a lot of speed without any gear changes and with the minimum of fuss and apparent effort, but because of that, the higher-revving turbocharged petrol will sometimes feel faster because you've normally dropped a couple of cogs and you're revving it like crazy to add the speed.

*2.5TDI Quattro has more torque than the B7 RS4... just at half the revs ;)

Pro's:
400-600 miles out of the same 55l tank.
effortless grunt
effortless high-speed cruising
proper quattro system
feels the same if it's got 1-up or 4-up (diesel :) )

Cons:
diesel rev range = very short 1st (20mph) and 2nd (40mph) gears
big, solid car will make silly speeds feel slightly unexciting sometimes

Very happy with my 6 speed manual 2003 2.5TDi Avant Quattro Sport.....its only got 50K on it and I have had no expensive problems to sort...other than a new cambelt/tensioners/water pump at 49K miles (£475).....and tyres wear out pretty quicky....235/40/18 need replacing after around 15k miles...

The sport model has slightly lowered suspension (quite a hard ride) and sill extentions on the bottoms of the doors, etc. According to J Clarkson & J May the SE version gives a better ride (as if I give a toss what they think)

I did replaced the standard (18mm) rear anti roll bar (ARB) with the thicker (22mm) RS4 ARB (total cost including fitting £100) - made a huge difference to cornering and did not affect the ride comfort at all.....gave the car a bit more of a grin factor - still not in the BMW 3 series sport Model league but not at all bad.

I average about 35mpg - mix of motorway & local roads....and 41mpg on a run...wife can eek out about 43mpg....

Its a great motorway cruiser...can sit at 80mph on cruise control at around 2200rpm..its such a torquey motor you never have to change gear on a motorway....

I have not chipped mine as I don't want any hassle with my insurance company....swiftcover = £300 a year...

Not sure what car to get next .....will probably end up with a B7 3.0TDi Avant Quattro S-Line.....but really fancy an A4 convertible....

Everything that JohnnyC said...

Not sure what car to get next .....will probably end up with a B7 3.0TDi Avant Quattro S-Line.....but really fancy an A4 convertible....

I'd 100% agree with the above statement in particular: the 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line is the only other "option" and I would definitely have bought one if I had the cash (faster, better economy, etc), but that's in the £12k-£15k territory, but the 2.5TDI Quattro's in the <£5k price-range and I could get that easilly.... the other option would have needed closing out investments / getting a loan... the B6 will do me for now :D

some really good info there thanks again lostbok and johnboy. Have just been going thru the autotrader and i think i will defo be on the lookout for a B6 A4 Avant 2.5tdi 180 quattro sport manual(maybe an SE). I really want heated seats in the car as i have them in my S3 and they are so nice in the cold. Also i hate the wood trim in some of the cars was that an optional extra or did it come with some models?? Also whats the auto box like as i have never had one of them either.

I have also been looking at BMW either 525d or 330d but they all seem to be automatic and hardly any have heated seats and have awful wood trim.

steer clear of the auto-box if you're thinking of any 200bhp+ remaps...

heated seats are also fairly rare on the Audi's.

heated seats are more common on the 330d, but then make sure you go for the higher spec 2003+ models... (201bhp vs 184bhp @ stock)

not sure on the 325d... they stopped those after the E36, didn't they?

320d needs to be the 150bhp 1995cc (post 2001), otherwise it's the gutless 130bhp with a max remap of 150bhp.... the 150 is remappable to about 180-190bhp...

for both the Audi's and Bimmers: ignore the wood trim.... I agree - look naff, but you can get a set off eBay for <£100 for the real stuff... £200-£250 if you're in a rush or want the higher step (brushed alu) stuff.... but the wood trim is very common on high-spec ex-exective car fleet models (more likely to have heated seats), so be prepared to get it with the naff trim and then replace it.... there's a lot of links to the the how-to guide on replacing the trim... it's a few hours work, but well worth it if you can buy a higher spec car that's within your budget.

This forum sucks sometimes, i post a reply and the window crashes and i have to do it again!!

Anyway what i said 10mins ago was that helps alot as i can narrow what i look for down some more especially with the bimmers and what years to go for. i am gonna try to get as new a car as poss with my budget so hopefully i can get one of the years you pointed out.

Defo gonna avoid the Auto boxes then as i like a manual gearbox anyway still erring towards the audi if i can find a good one plus i can stop avoiding the ones with wooden trim if its changeable.

This forum sucks sometimes, i post a reply and the window crashes and i have to do it again!!

Tell me about it :banghead:

There's some very good and worthwhile points made here, the only thing I would add as a 2.5q driver is that the mpg can be very dependant on the roads you use, I can see over 40 on a nice motorway run, but we have none round here and it's all winding country A and B roads, and I struggle to see anything over 33.

1.9TDI.... but bear in mind that once remapped, although they're good for a quick blip at 170bhp*, the exhaust gas temps mean that you can start doing damage if you're goign to rag blast around pushing that hard the whole time.

Lostbok, could you share some more information on this please? Sounds interesting, especailly to a mapped 1.9 driver.

Not ever owned a mapped 1.9TDI, so purely based on advice from a couple of friends (so I HOPE I'm not misleading people here!!).

With that in mind, this is what I've been told: Not only do the remaps increase the boost pressure (i.e. the normal TDI remap), but apparently some will also allow you to hold onto a higher boost level for longer than they allow in the standard map by allowing the exhaust manifold gasses to get a lot higher (well over the thresholds Audi would normally allow)... and these temp rise a lot faster with the higher boost levels.

I can't remember the exact details, but as a result of over-heated exhaust gasses, it causes some fairly expensive damage (turbo?) with the minimum of advance warning.

I'll go and get the details next time I see the friend who had told me about, but the bloke who was at his house was warning me off getting any crazy remaps (240bhp+) on my 2.5TDI as he had just had a 1.9TDI with a big remap (180bhp, I think) go "pop"... but then he had been ragging it close to the red line for >5 minutes in 6th (so pretty stupid speeds too)...

Thanks Lostbok, that does make some sense tbh. I've a 1.9 remapped to 180bhp, but have had limp mode since. Gone through a lot trying to find the root cause (need to buy vag com though). I've also heard that the diesels having such small turbos to give so much torque low down can't handle the amount of exhaust gases being pushed through at higher speeds. I'll discuss this with the tuner when I go back, so any info you could share would be great for all with remapped diesels. That said, the tuner I've used has being getting TDI Clubsport VAG cars from 140bhp to 240bhp without issues and they're obviously constantly under harder load for longer than a daily driver. Again we don't know about other mods with them, there's obviously a different clutch. He did tell me when mine was done that there is a lot more power to be had but the clutch was the limiting factor, so it was capped at 180bhp and 450nm. I won't go on anymore as this is a little off subject for the OP. However any info you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. :detective2:

Marc,out of interest who mapped your 1.9?? and what sort of results do they get from the 2.5tdi do you know??

Am defo leaning towards the 2.5tdi now just gotta find one locally to have a look at

Am not far from you Bob, will keep my eyes peeled :yes:

Any preferences for saloon or avant?

Cheers james,

An Avant is what i would like as m Dad has a 1.8 B5 avant and its been very useful.

52 plate 2.5TDi Q SE 130k FSH ming blue with charcoal leather. But it does have the wood inlays, and no heated seats :3sadwalk: Will need a cambelt too.

It's in the West Mids, but gives you some ideas anyway ;)

LINKY

One thing which hasn't been mentioned yet is the road tax differences between the 1.9 and 2.5 as it was the lower cost on the 1.9 which made my mind up.. :)

Hi,

I currently have an 8L S3 and am thinking of changing cars this year. I am in the market for an A4 Avant, Originally i was gonna go for a B5 S4 2.7 twin turbo petrol but not many of them are coming up for sale as of late and i am a tad concerned about running costs eg fuel. My budget for the car will be about the 6k mark

Cheers

Please note I have no affiliation or experience with dealing with any of these comapanies aside from a few of e-mails and forum messages, however these two cropped up as two decent places :

R-Tech:
R-Tech have some interesting remaps - their stripped down site with just the tables of results are at bigbhp.co.uk: 216bhp and 422Nm for the 2.5TDI180 for £250.

Chip'n'Spin:
I was thinking more along the lines of Chip 'n' Spin (on this forum) - if you go to one of their RR days (e.g. 30th May 2009), they do before and after RR runs with a choice of remaps for £250 for Audi-Sport.net regulars!

E-mail content from Mark (at Chip'n'Spin):

We can offer you Eco (30hp 60nm) fast road (40hp 80nm) or race (50hp 100nm)
and...

With the high remap you may loose 1-2mpg, but depends on how you drive. The delivery is more linear and you'll have more power throughout the rev range.

Last remap day 180 A4 we done was 230hp and 325lb/ft [440Nm] and no issue reported and must have been running 6 months now.

All of our remaps are well within the limits of the engine.
Only caveats worth pointing out: he did concede that although well within engine specs, the clutch would take a bit too much strain if you were trying to use all that extra torque for traffic light grand prix starts.... and it was also recommended NOT to go for the higher remap on the Tiptronic(Auto) boxes, but with manuals they should be fine...

Ya gets what ya pays for.... NOT!
I've previously had some fairly expensive remaps done (on the Golf, so low returns, since it's a NA & petrol) at AMDtechnic back when they were based at Bicester and although I don't really blame them for not caring too much about what was then a 7yr old Mk3 Golf, the fact was I was paying pretty serious money for the work and despite promisng to do before and after remaps when I got my high-lift cams done, they didn't do either of them and despite charging nearly double what most other semi-custom remaps cost, their "custom remap" is also a semi-custom remap (based on previous cars) - it's just a spreadsheet where they plug in the spec's of the car, then apply that pre-defined remap, so if they got something wrong and didn;t dyno it, then the remap would be useless*. After I complained and they said I although they didn't have the space that day as they had a new RS6 to work on, but if it meant that much to me, I could bring the car back again for another run (despite knowing full well that I was driving over from SW London and then catching the train back to London each time I left the car with them)... I duly dropped the car off with them about 3wks later to have the rolling road session done again.

When I picked the car up about 3hrs later... they flapped about for a while trying to find the dyno chart and eventually "printed off a new one".... which was for a chart for a regular remapped 8v GTI - not only did it have far lower torque readings across the scale... but the torque curve on the remap they gave me dropped off more sharply and well before my PRE-cam'd engine did (and nothing like the way the car actually drives)... clearly NOT one with the air-flow work that mine's had, much less the high-lift cam version!

When I pointed this out - they just said they said that when they printed it, they thought that was the right chart for mine, but given the work it had done, they conceded that it was probably not the right print out: then the same old spiel: "although they were a bit too busy that day to fit me in 'agai', if I wanted to bring the car back in a couple of weeks, they could re-dyno it."

I left.

*RE the remap without a dyno run being useless: Since the AMD persistent lack of care for any cars worth <£50k, I took the Golf down to Minispeed @ Brooklands Horse Power in Surrey (ironically just down the road from the new AMDtechnic base) and they rolling roaded it at about 120bhp: I'd lost some torque at the lower revs (as expected with the new cam), but my fuel pressure regulator was playing up over 5000rpm ("not broken, but certainly not quite right either" was teh diagnosis) and although it was still pulling cleanly to 6660rpm, the engine couldn't get enough fuel, so the power curve was FLAT (like somebody had drawn a ruler across it) at about 120bhp from about 5000 to 6500rpm! Apparently the car was running "very, very lean"... something that AMD would have picked up immediately if they'd every bothered doing the last two promised dyno runs.

One new Filter Kings "Power Boost Valve" (fuel pressure regulator) and a rerun on the same dyno and suddenly I was dyno'ing 140bhp @ 6250rpm and there was an appreciable surge of torque from about 3000rpm right through the range that was previously missing...

erm.... whoops.... did I go off-topic with that rant?? kinda, maybe ;)

Had a quick look at the Linky for the 6k car lostbok but before i go too far to look at one i will try to get a viewing of one closer to home (even if its not one i am gonna buy) just to see what i think of the drive etc.

The whatcar comparrison is useful too gotta say i did think the 0-60 of the 2.5 might of been better than 9.6secs. but i suppose it is much better at the mid range power.

Nice little rant lostbok i can understand why you were annoyed at AMD if i do go down the 2.5 route will defo drop chip n spin a email as i think they also do one of the gismo's you plug into th OBD socket to change the map.

Not too concerned about the road tax but would be nice if it was as cheap as poss.

Out of interest we have mentioned getting the timing gear changed after 60-80k should this be done again at 120k?? if so what sort of cost is this?? same applies to the dodgy fuel pump issue when should this be sorted (mileage/time period?) and what sort of cost. Lastly as the clutch has been mentioned a few times especially if remapped what sort of cost is that to do and do people stay OEM or do the uprate the clutch kit in anyway??

Not too concerned about the road tax but would be nice if it was as cheap as poss.

Out of interest we have mentioned getting the timing gear changed after 60-80k should this be done again at 120k?? if so what sort of cost is this?? same applies to the dodgy fuel pump issue when should this be sorted (mileage/time period?) and what sort of cost. Lastly as the clutch has been mentioned a few times especially if remapped what sort of cost is that to do and do people stay OEM or do the uprate the clutch kit in anyway??

I thought that about road tax, if you were that bothered about costs between the 2.5 and 1.9 mpg would factor much above road tax i would imagine!

Yes the cambelt should be done every 80k, so 80, 160, 240 etc etc .... But I think 60k intervals are much preferable, I would budget about £500 from an independent if you get the water pump done at the same time. The fuel pump issue seems to be a 'fingers crossed' issue and just hope it doesn't happen to you!

I had my clutch replaced with a standard one when I had my engine swapped recently, and with the recently fitted tuning module I have had no problems. IMO it would be worth thinking about doing the clutch while the front of the car is off for the timing belt if you are considering a remap.

I just posted that £6k car to give you some idea of the sort of cars that are available for the money ;)

The 0-62 for the saloon is 9.1 without a remap and closer to 8.0 with an agressive remap (for the 2.5 Quattro) - althoguh you can get a gain in the total bhp, it's the full rev-range where you're getting more torque.... but bear in mind the aforementioned clutch "issues".... which are not really an issue, but can be if you're ragging it off the lights every time.

Don't buy a TDI if it's 0-60 times or nimble sportinmess that you're after... get a TDI for economical, effortless high speed cruising and lots of grunt for for the 30-50mph / 50-90mph accelerating....

just seen the "LINKY" from qJames.

fyi - not sure on Avant's, but if it was a saloon, the mileage adjusted value on that car would be in the £4000-£4500 range! It's similar (slightly lower) spec to my saloon (in my sig): change the colours for silver, black leather and brushed Aluminum trim... it's <1 year newer than mine, but 10% higher mileage... and mine was £4500 when I bought it in Feb.

re: the cambelt.... prices in the £450-£650 range (with Audi delaerships at both extremes of that range), includes parts and labour, incl doing the waterpump which pretty much all places should offer to do at the same time as the cambelt.

mine was done at 78k, I'm gonna redo it at about 140k...

Marc,out of interest who mapped your 1.9?? and what sort of results do they get from the 2.5tdi do you know??

Am defo leaning towards the 2.5tdi now just gotta find one locally to have a look at

It's in the signature mate :whistle2: Based in Manchester. I'm not sure what they quote for the 2.5TDI as it's all done to your car on a dyno.

My clutch was chanaged 5,000 miles prior to the remap, so I felt fairly safe there. As standard it put out 148BHP and 350NM before the map, but after the exhaust. I assume the 180 2.5TDI clutches are rated more than the 1.9's but you'd need to look into that. He said there was a lot more power to be had but my clutch would be strained if it was taken further.

Not necessarily after a quick 0-60 car but don't want anything that takes too long!! I like the idea of lots of grunt after your already moving eg 30-60 so this is why i am interested in going diesel. Plus of course the savings in MPG. Currently with my commute to work plus evening and weekend driving i am lucky to see 30mpg out of the S3 and i rarely give it the full beans. So if the 2.5tdi can do around the 35mpg mark plus more on the motorway whilst still giving it a bit of poke here and there that would be good for me. As the only other car i am interested in changing for is a B5 S4 which would be lucky to get 26mpg!!

Cheers Marc yeah perhaps i should of read your sig a bit more in detail. Sounds like good results 32bhp n 100NM extra over standard. Plus i like the statement of there is alot more power to be had too.

also saw this erlier on autotrader which isn't a million miles away from me. It does have the awful wood trim but it does have the heated seats i want.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2003&vehicleRegLetter=03

Also if i was to stretch my budget are the 2.7TDI's much better than the 2.5's?? as this car is literally up the road from my house but it is quite expensive

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2005&vehicleRegLetter=55

If you are set on heated seats then I don't think beggars can be choosers because there aren't too many about that I have seen. That black one is ok, personally i don't like the seat colour at all! It is quite sobering as that is pretty much equal to my car and thats all it's worth :bye:

The second one is an A6, are they in contention too? I don't think the 2.7's are any more powerful, but may have other advantages i really don't know. Looks a very well specced car though.

Ref your earlier point, I think when you drive one you will be pleasantly surprised. However I know they can vary greatly in performance so it would be worth trying more than one if the first one disappoints you.

Yeah the A4 doesn't have the greatest interior is it me or does the steering wheel look green??? But yeah i am set on heated seats as i have a dodgy back and when its cold it gets worse so keeping my bum toastie warm cuts down the amount i have to see the Back Quack :)

I did see the other car was an A6 but i'm not too fussed just wondered if it was worth a look as it is only round the corner from me. to be honest its probably out of my price range as i onlly really wanna spend 6k max but if it was great i am sure i could work out a way to get the extra cash (how much is a kidney worth these days anyway??).