What should be in an 80K service?

AndymacA4

Reaction score
I have been calling a few of my local garages for a quote on servicing. My A4 has covered 77K and had a new cambelt last year. I called a few garages and they ahve very conflicting ideas about what is needed.

Audi say it will cost £387.64 for a proper major service (I asked about their internet site offer of a major for £199, and they said that was only for a 40K major service, not anything else as higher major services need extra filters, etc. replacing.)

Nationwide services quoted £218 inc. plugs, oil, oil filter, pollen filter, air filter, air con treatment to kill of smells, and a full once over.

A local independent quoted a similar price (£220) for the same work, one garage suggested a fuel filter is common at this age, but wasn't sure about fitment on Audi, but he suggested a new set of plugs is only needed every 40K so he'd check the service history before doing it.

And another local indie quote £200 as a ballpark, but they'd get back to me on an exact price as they had to get some bits in specially for it such as pollen filters, and they work out the price as price of parts, then labour. However the last lot also have Hunter alignment kit to do full 4 wheel alignment and setup.

Sorry to be drwn out, but back to the question, what should be included in an 80K service? And what extra work is desirable?

Thanks

Andy

There really isn't a lot to be done in each step is there. Lots of checks, not a lot of doing!

I am also coming up to my 80K service, and I'm dissapointed to hear Audi are not honouring their £199 major service offer on it.

According to the published service schedule the ONLY thing you do extra in an 80K service that you don't do in a 40K service is replace the 'ribbed belt'.

What is the ribbed belt, and why does it cause Audi to charge an extra £200?

Isn't 80k Audi's recommended interval to change the timing belt?

What is the ribbed belt, and why does it cause Audi to charge an extra £200?

if i'm not mistaken the 'ribbed' belt is the cambelt which should be done at 80k, and when the belt is being replaced make sure the water pump is done at the same time plus tensioners, pulleys...whatever else you can get them to throw in :icon_thumright:

Nah, not according to the schedule linked below. Ribbed belt is 80K, timing (cam) belt is different and done at 120K.

Makes me wonder about that link that does :think:

Do any Audi's have a 120k timing belt change interval? I only know it's 80k for the diesels, no idea on the petrols, but 120k seems excessive :faint:

The ribbed belt could be the fuel pump belt, but again only on the diesel models.

the price of a 40 full service at a main dealer is either £99 or £199 for what we call a segment 2 service the car must be over 2 or 3 years old i cant remember which . the parts and labour are heavily discounted to make a main dealer as competetive as a samll garage, hence you would go to main dealer and they would make profit but just need a higher turn over. to be honest it was a poorly thought out idea in the eyes of dealers but great in the customers eyes. its only applicable up to and including 2.0 ltr cars, most dealers will still do the service but may charge slightly extra for the additional spark plugs on a v6 and more oil on bigger engines. It does not cover s models or rs models. for £99 you get oil and filter change and a check over as you would have got every 20k and for £199 you get spark, oil filter, oil, air, and fuel on a diesel. It is definately worth getting back into a dealer at this price as most small garages cannot compete as thay cant get genuine parts any where near as cheap as we can sell them to ourselves if you see what i mean.

Also some of the extra work that may need doing pads (but not discs) brake fluid change , aircon service is done at a fixed price. and cannot be overcharged!

any extra work noted on service will be quoted at full price but there is always movement in the quote depending how much work is needed so ask for a deal price to do it all if you can afford it!

andymaca4 i would call back your dealer and say that you are aware what price the service should be and what is included also tell them that you have spoke to customer services that ort to straighten them out.

NOW for the catch, the only thing that has to be done to qualify for this price is you must sign a form that means you are opting out of longlife servicing and going to yealry and 10k servicing, which to 75 percent of people is what they are doing anyway on longlife schedule.

No Audi models have a 120k mile interval on the cambelt, it is a misprint and should say 120k km's not miles. 80k or 5 years on petrol, 60k or 5 years on diesel. Anyone telling you 120k miles is better avoided.

the price of a 40 full service at a main dealer is either £99 or £199 for what we call a segment 2 service the car must be over 2 or 3 years old i cant remember which . the parts and labour are heavily discounted to make a main dealer as competetive as a samll garage, hence you would go to main dealer and they would make profit but just need a higher turn over. to be honest it was a poorly thought out idea in the eyes of dealers but great in the customers eyes. its only applicable up to and including 2.0 ltr cars, most dealers will still do the service but may charge slightly extra for the additional spark plugs on a v6 and more oil on bigger engines. It does not cover s models or rs models. for £99 you get oil and filter change and a check over as you would have got every 20k and for £199 you get spark, oil filter, oil, air, and fuel on a diesel. It is definately worth getting back into a dealer at this price as most small garages cannot compete as thay cant get genuine parts any where near as cheap as we can sell them to ourselves if you see what i mean.

Also some of the extra work that may need doing pads (but not discs) brake fluid change , aircon service is done at a fixed price. and cannot be overcharged!

any extra work noted on service will be quoted at full price but there is always movement in the quote depending how much work is needed so ask for a deal price to do it all if you can afford it!

andymaca4 i would call back your dealer and say that you are aware what price the service should be and what is included also tell them that you have spoke to customer services that ort to straighten them out.

NOW for the catch, the only thing that has to be done to qualify for this price is you must sign a form that means you are opting out of longlife servicing and going to yealry and 10k servicing, which to 75 percent of people is what they are doing anyway on longlife schedule.

So are you saying that a dealer should do the full 80K service within the £199 offer?

Interesting stuff.

When I spoke to the fella at Audi Peterborough's Service department about this offer (£199 on the internet offer), he wasn't even aware of it. He then looked it up and said that it is possible to do, but it doesn't include some of the bits needed and I would have to pay the £387.64. In fact the £199 Audi Major Service includes only an oil change, oil filter change, health and safety check, air filter, fuel filter (if diesel), spark plugs (if petrol). This is from Audi website.

It includes no other parts. So essentially, their major service is a short engine service and a once over!

stafford audi offer a service for £79 which only includes oil, oil filter,air filter and all the checks, i bought a pollen filter whilst i was there and they fitted it for me whilst doing the service, total amount for all including ( service, pollen filter,book stamped and dis reset £96.)
bargain, not worth doing it yourself for that.
give them a call, far more competetive than other audi main dealers.

I just had my 2.4 v6 service 66000 miles had an AVS SERVICE, B/F CHANGE,WATER PUMP , CAMBELT , PLUS TENSIONER, PULLEY AND DAMPER at Leicester audi £910 all in :sob:

leicester audi is my local dealer but i wouldnt give them a penny!!!!
had bad experiences with them in the past and id never go again, plus there a rip off

yes they should do all the bits for £199, that is the offer and that is why it is there!!!

as i said the 2.4 engine does not qualify for segment 2 but would have been worth trying it on!

i think off the top of my head bfc is £49
cambelt change on any engine 2.0 and below including the tt and s3 is £329.00 including parts! bargain imo